• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie curious about lack of posts here...

johninminnesota

imported post

I am a newly annointed "right to carry a pistol" card holder and am curious why there are so few posts here in the Minnesota (and a few other states) while Virginia has a lot of posts.

I plan on open carrying or "lightly concealing" my pistol so that it is easily accessible. I plan on being very "disarming" and cooperative with my words and actions if/when someone asks me about the gun, or why I am carrying. If they ask me to leave, I will do so with little to no objection, only questioning why, along with a question askingif they are stating that they no longer want my business and that of my friends and family.

Please post some of your experiences!

John

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Of the people that actually registered their location when they signed up, including yourself, only ten are from the state of Minnesota, so this might be part of the problem.

The site basically started with everyone from Virginia or the semi-immediate area, I believe.

The site seems to be gaining people from a wider area as of late, with more attention given to the site... If you stick around I am sure you will see more people from MN come...

djstaehlin

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been open carrying from time to time recently in Saint Paul and Woodbury. I make sure I'm dressed presentably and am friendly when dealing with others. I also open carry around my apartment complex in downtown St. Paul. I did my laundry this morning in the common laundry room while open carrying.

No one has said anything to me yet although while grocery shopping at Target in West Saint Paul a week or so ago, I heard a kid say to his mother and her friend "Hey, guys. Guys. Look. That guy has a gun." I had passed by the aisle they were in and just kept going since he didn't address me. I fiinished shopping and checked out. No one said anything. That's been the only reaction I've noticed.

Now that it's getting cold, I've continued to carry in a belt holster but have been wearing a jacket over it. I don't worry if the bottom of the holster appears below the jacket.

DJ

bohdi

imported post

I grew up in Monticello, living in VA now. I never saw anyone but cops/detectives carry openly. Most probably don't realize it's legal, most probably don't bother or have a reason to, or at least think that way. I remember not even locking our house growing up. I doubt my mom does to this day. Guess it just takes time. I'd like to be able to OC when I come out there, need to read up on the laws.

BenjaminHare

imported post

johninminnesota wrote:

I am a newly annointed "right to carry a pistol" card holder and am curious why there are so few posts here in the Minnesota (and a few other states) while Virginia has a lot of posts.
I live in Wyoming and had a similar reaction when I started watching the Wyoming forum. After a while I realized exactly what openryan mentioned, that it began in VA and is only now starting to attract a lot of other subscribers. Thus I began watching the RSS thread for all recent posts (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/index.php?rss=recent). This really opened my eyes to the other sections of the forum that are seeing activity. I am very thankful that the folks in VA are such prolific posters. Very helpful, that.

Cheers.

massltca

imported post

openryan wrote:
Of the people that actually registered their location when they signed up, including yourself, only ten are from the state of Minnesota, so this might be part of the problem.

The site basically started with everyone from Virginia or the semi-immediate area, I believe.

The site seems to be gaining people from a wider area as of late, with more attention given to the site... If you stick around I am sure you will see more people from MN come...
Yeah that's probably the problem, I'm the only one from Massachusetts I think.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well, it began in Virginia and immediate areas around it but it's significantly grown. Washington State is the second largest merely because of the strife that we've been through.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hill, Bill E. wrote:
Best bet is to spread the word. Let your friends (with similar views of handguns) know about the site. I found out about it, of all places, from one of my Jeep sites!
That is what it is all about - grass roots activism at work.
Welcome to this site and thanks for your service.
Yata hey

Slade

imported post

I'm a lurker here. :D

I'm also an info junkie. As for grass roots in Mn..check out the threads on twincitiescarry.com and mnguntalk.com for the breakfast at the Effen Gopher Bar. Around 50 people attended...most open carrying. "Civilians" arrived to find a completely armed bar. Lots of questions asked and hopefully educated and enlightened folks left. Fun.

Slade

imported post

Wow, first post and I've already brought down the wrath of a "State Administrator". I betterpick upmy rubbernecking....:?

drkarrow

imported post

This is an old thread, but I'll reply anyhow as I have a pretty good thing to point out.

Many CCW groups seem to scorn or look down on open carriers. So then open carry people come here for support.

In Minnesota, open carry is part of our permit, and is usually taught to everyone who gets a permit. So most of us here are taught straight form the get go that open carry is completely legal with the permit. We still do have local people who think open carry is wrong, but they also know it's legal and usually put up with us in a "Minnesota Nice" kind of way.

Thus, with Minnesota's local groups, the open carriers are not scorned or looked down upon as much as other places. So we don't need to visit a nationalopen carry forum as much because we can get full support from our local forums.

So the reason so few of us from MN are at this sight is really a good thing.

tarzan1888

imported post

Slade wrote:
Wow, first post and I've already brought down the wrath of a "State Administrator". I betterpick upmy rubbernecking....:?

Ignore the "State Administrator"....He is mostly harmless.

Tarzan

Slade

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:
Slade wrote:

Done. I didn't take any offense but was just a bit perplexed by the response. I'm not LE by the way...and "civilian" was tossed around a bit as a friendly term to those who wandered in to find a completely armed bar. Thought I made it clear that the hope was education and enlightenment. Either way, it was fun and the grassroots movement in Minnesota is alive and well. And yes, open carry is legal in Minnesota's Personal Protection Act. It's not a CCW or CCP state.

tarzan1888

imported post

Slade wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:
Slade wrote:

Done. I didn't take any offense but was just a bit perplexed by the response. I'm not LE by the way...and "civilian" was tossed around a bit as a friendly term to those who wandered in to find a completely armed bar. Thought I made it clear that the hope was education and enlightenment. Either way, it was fun and the grassroots movement in Minnesota is alive and well. And yes, open carry is legal in Minnesota's Personal Protection Act. It's not a CCW or CCP state.

There is a pretty good group of people here who know a lot and are willing to share what they know.

There are some who know a lot, but have one or two sacred cows that send them off into babbling tangents if you cast aspersions on said cow.

There are some who know a lot but are slightly off balance and have a plethora of buttons that turn them into a whirling dervish.

There are some here who know nothing and in ignorant bliss make a big to-do about nothing.

There are some here who know little, but are earnest and learning.

Last but not least there are some here who have an agenda and do their best to create discord and dissension.

Hang on and have fun.

Tarzan

ChinChin

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
'Civilian' is cop talk trying to separate themselves from us. Either we are equal or we are not.

The Police using "civilian" to refer to others is an oxymoron. The only people who are not civilians are the military. Police Officers in every flavor (officers, troopers, sheriff deputies) are CIVILIAN authorities.

They're civilians themselves, despite their incorrect use of the lexicon.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

You can ignore that state administrator he is out of his jurisdiction.:celebrateSpeaking of that I better mosey on back across a border or two.