• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What is the best way to contact the BATFE?

Michigander

imported post

Despite trying in a couple posts, I can't get any information from this board about if a Michigan safety inspection certificate counts for the 1,000 foot school zone law's exemption of licensed persons. It's an oddball question for sure, so I want to contact the BATFE and ask what they think.

What would be the best method for contacting them? Email? Call? Letter in the mail?

I'd just email them with an address found on their site, but they are known for taking months to file paper work on weapon transactions, and I know some people here have contacted them in the past, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some advice from you guys.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I would've thought FBI would be the enforcement arm of these things, since its not a gun manufacture regulation sort of thing.

I would only ask. I'd still consult an attorney. We've learned the hard way that law-enforcement makes things up asthey go along.

Michigander

imported post

I could ask the FBI too I suppose, but I don't feel like talking to lawyer. If I was going to do that, I may as well go ahead and spend the 250 bucks on a CPL. I'm trying to be cheap AND make a point.;)

The question still remains, who to contact and how?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FBI has field offices all over. You might try the state capitol or the largest city in your state. Blue pages, phone book, 411, etc.

BATFE may have a website. Try to track down the office that serves your area. Also, any local gun dealer ought to be familiar with contacting BATFE.

Also, contact a gun rights group in your state. I'd trusta definitive answer from them sooner thanI would an LEO state orfederal.

By the way, this first consultation is free. After this, I charge for answers. :)

Michigander

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I would've thought FBI would be the enforcement arm of these things, since its not a gun manufacture regulation sort of thing.

I was thinking about it, and I know for a fact that the ATF enforces gun laws on individuals. This is a felony firearms law, so they would be able to enforce it. They do busts on people making moonshine on their stoves, people who illegaly make a suppressor, and they would enforce this more often if it was a realistic law.

The FBI always seemed to me to be more of the incompetent dummies who don't do much of anything useful for anyone. In my few encounters with them, I have been anything but impressed. They have been lazy, corrupt, lying jerks in the experiences me, my family, and friends have had with them. Not saying that they are all bad people, just that I don't think I'd trust what they say.

imperialism2024

imported post

While this isn't really an answer to your original question, I feel that the only way to find out if you are legal or not is to assume that you are until you get caught, and then argue your way through it in court. I believe that even if you could contact an "authority", the answer would be most definately a "no" as officers generally like to cover their asses in informing citizens of the law by giving the law the benefit of the doubt. Try asking an LEO in an anomalous OC state whether or not OC is legal...

ETA: I also wouldn't advise making inquiries to law enforcement agencies requesting information about whether a questionably illegal act is in fact illegal. At the local level, it may be enough information to invite police monitoring or even harassment for you even if that particular inquiry is legal. At a national level, such a request may have even more dire consequences, given the climate of fear and paranoia by this administration... some guy looking to carry guns into a school (zone) will certainly raise red flags.