• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

taking that step... thought on taking that first step into OC'ing....

maxx

imported post

i'm still not sure wheter or not I'l Open Carry, the first step seems to be the biggest step...
tell me about your experiences surrounding your decisions to take this step...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welcome to OCDO!!

My consideration was based mainly onhatingthe idea of supporting the 2nd Amendment by just sending money to NRA and VCDL, with a little letter writing and voting thrown in. I can't stand to sit back and watch. OC lets me do something every single day to promote RKBA. See the thread, "Open Carry in NoVA."

I've had numerous positive experiences. And two where police got out of line.

As for the police, you just need to know a few things initially:

1. Is OC legal in your area? Also, what is the general law-enforcement mood towards OC in your area? If they are completely unfamiliar with it, you will likely have some interesting encounters early.
  2. "I do not consent toany searches or seizures, Officer."
  3. Be polite.
  4. If a property owner or his agent asks you to leave or take your gun out, you must comply or risk all sorts of headaches over trespassing charges.
  5. Get a pocket voice-recorder at your earliest and practice with it.
Also, there is a thread around here somewhere with ideas on things you can say when people ask you about OC.

As you go along, you'll pick up more and more by reading informative forums like this one. Eventually you'll be a living, breathing, expert on the 2A, and 4th Amendment case law regarding police and your rights.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I decided to OC as I prefer it to CC, for a number of reasons, it is usually more comfortable, my firearm is easier to access, political awareness, etc.

The first time I OC'ed, I was a little apprehensive, as I was constantly measuring the reactions of people. This goes away, I have met little resistance from others about my OC'ing, and those who do confront me, are usually more inquisitive than admonishing.

The nervousness goes away after a few times, at least for me it did. You have to know what you are doing is perfectly legal (depending where you are of course), and while I am respectful of the opinions of others (most of the time), I am not going to change my responsible mode of carry because others are uncomfortable from time to time.

Open carry certainly can help you to be more flexible in certain situations.

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will have no problem finding people who can help you in your decision to OC here. There are of course times when OC can get you unwanted attention from ill informed sheeple, however I would not let this deter you from excersing your 2A rights.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome to OCDO! I can tell you that I have not had problems here in Utah. I live in Utah County and open carry everywhere I go. I have had cops come talk to me before, but they were just making sure that I wasn't a goof with a gun. If you decide to start carrying openly, just make sure you read and understand Utah laws. As long as you carry yourself properly and know the law, you shouldn't have a problem with the cops. Unless you live in West Valley City! :p

maxx

imported post

As far as legality, here in Utah there is no law against OC, i believe the main restriction would be not haveing one in the chamber...this bothers me in the event that a bad guy sees it am i first in line with him havig a one second headstart?... I am usually quite aware of my surroundings but you can never see everything...

in the past my family and I had some threats from a guy who had provn to be a bad man... the thrats were dirctlyed to a sis in law and then to all the falmily, kind of an" if you don't... I'll hurt someone you love " type of threat...

that threat has since passed, but during that time of hieghtened alert, taught me to keep alert on a higher level then ever before...

diring that time i did what I felt I could to watch out for my family,,,mostly kept to ourselves, checked our back whenever we went out , learned to keep an eye out for suspicious behavior, drove in from different directions and watched for tails and such...

anyway, I'm rambling on here...

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

maxx wrote:
As far as legality, here in Utah there is no law against OC, i believe the main restriction would be not haveing one in the chamber...this bothers me in the event that a bad guy sees it am i first in line with him havig a one second headstart?... I am usually quite aware of my surroundings but you can never see everything...

in the past my family and I had some threats from a guy who had provn to be a bad man... the thrats were dirctlyed to a sis in law and then to all the falmily, kind of an" if you don't... I'll hurt someone you love " type of threat...

that threat has since passed, but during that time of hieghtened alert, taught me to keep alert on a higher level then ever before...

diring that time i did what I felt I could to watch out for my family,,,mostly kept to ourselves, checked our back whenever we went out , learned to keep an eye out for suspicious behavior, drove in from different directions and watched for tails and such...

anyway, I'm rambling on here...

You are right about carrying unloaded (full mag, empty chamber) unless you have a CFP, then you can carry loaded. About OC making you a potential target? Show me the proof. That is a tactic used by the anti's in hopes to change our minds. I believe that criminals are lazy, and if they saw somebody armed in the place where they want to commit a crime, they will most likely choose a softer target.

Some will say that CC gives you a tactical advantage of surprise. Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I do not want to be a hero. If I am ever put into that situation, I will act accordingly, but I don't carry a gun so I can surprise a criminal with a slug to the back. I carry in hopes that the criminal will second guess what he is about to do.

Just curious, in what area do you live, and were you brought here by the news paper article?

maxx

imported post

as far as the bad guy getting the drop on me, i have no proof... it is just a thought.

I live in the springville/mapleton are... i actually have been lurking for awhile, just reading the website, probably six months or so... but what peaked my interset to join was the articles on the group here...

xmirage2kx

imported post

In utah county you will not have any issues. Know the law, and you are fine. I would suggest getting your CCW permit just so you you can carry loaded and not have to deal with car travel.