• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Utah Reality

Uraijit

imported post

HankT wrote:
Uraijit wrote:
Fellow UT rider here, and I can attest to the same thing. I have quit riding except on twisty low-traffic canyon roads, because Utard drivers simply don't care that you're there. I've been run out of my lane NUMEROUS times, even in front of cops...

At least 4 times per week?

That's 200+ times a year. A LOT of run outs.

I wonder if toughguy ever considered the possibility that he was the common denom....

Er, never mind.

I have had it happen to me 3 times in the same day! I have been riding for almost 9 years. I am not inexperienced, and I am not untrained. What other drivers do has nothing to do with the skill of the rider, other driver's actions are beyond the control of a rider. I always leave myself a "cushion" and an exit from most trafic situations, so not every time I am forced out of my lane is a "near miss".

You have no idea what his riding habits are; where he rides, distances he rides, or frequency of his riding.

Nearly every time I get on the freeway in my giant black Tahoe, I am cut off at least once. If they don't care enough to notice a full-sized SUV, they sure as hell don't notice a motorcycle.

As a motorcycle rider, he IS the common denominator! People just don't care about motorcycle riders on the road. Whatever they'd rather be doing takes precidence over their driving... Eg: Cell phone, makeup, morning paper, breakfast, shaving, tying tie, etc.

Your ignorant statements lead me to believe that you yourself have never been behind a set of clipons/handlebars.

As I stated before, you seem to know a whole lot of nothing, on a wide variety of subjects. And you don't seem to mind sharing it.

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

thanks for the back up. hank is the same kind of ahole that ran me down on the freeway because, "i should have been looking out for him" and I deserve it because i am on a flashy bike. she was dressed provacatively so she deserved to get raped:banghead:

I have had many of the same police harrassment issues as you have.

how many times have you heard "looked like you were going a little fast there......what kind of bike is that?"

these cops think it is cool to pull you over to chat about your bike.

what kind of bike you ride??

"If you don't ride like the cars around you are about to kill you, they are." is what my dad always told me from day 1 on a bike.

Hitting the ground at 70mph is scary, getting run over is scary, getting up and being confronted by an ahole in a harley shirt getting out of his ford f-350 threatening your life (after he almost already took it) is scary.

but i probably deserved it, i was the common denominator

dick

i am not the most defensive rider in the world, but i do take caution and i do not take extreme risks (splitting lanes, popping wheelies etc) there is just nothing you can do to prevent the girl (usually is a girl, sorry) who is talking on her cell eating lunch and putting on her makup while changing the cd and smoking from coming into your lane with no signal or notice over a solid white line.

Hank may your underwear be itchy and may you never kill a motorcyclist with your car. if you see my orange bike, jacket and helmet just stay the f away from me!!! caveman hank

Uraijit

imported post

I ride a 2002 Yamaha 600-R. I'm a 600 guy myself, it's more than enough power to haul my wirey ass around, -- and in a hurry if need be. ;)

Have you checked out the Utah Sport Bike Association? I was planning on starting racing with them at Miller Motorsports Park in the MoM series this season, but I'm going to be testing with Las Vegas Metro PD in January, so if things work out there, I won't be racing this season afterall... I'll be sweating my ass off in the police academy for 22 weeks! Woot!

Yeah, I've had quite a few run-ins with the cops around here too. Like I said, I've never had any tickets, because there's never any real reason to pull me over in the first place. I guess they just figure that if you own a bike, then you MUST be speeding most of the time, so they might as well pull you over. Carving your lane, while a great way to make other drivers nervous (read: notice you), is also a great excuse for the cops to harass you too. Lights, Full Gear, or anything else that might make someone notice you and not kill you, also seems to make the cops notice, and deal out swift 'justice'.

Anyway, if you haven't checked out the UT Sport Bike Association, you should. They're a great group of guys who have their heads on straight. Until I ran across them, I thought I was the only guy who wore any gear, let alone full gear, here in UT. Most of the guys I see around here are the, Shorts, flip-flops, Corona T-Shirt, and SNELL approved Oakleys type... Gotta love that... I wonder if they get harassed by the cops as much...:quirky

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

full gear all the time (including pants)
road rash is no joke
126 in phoenix is pretty hot and today was cold
year round riding is crucial
enjoy las vegas
phoenix and surounding cities are always highering too
i have not met any usba guys in person i hear them head up the canyon sundays (i assume that is them)
pm me and tell me who to contact if you dont mind

garyl43

imported post

mrbigthoughguychris wrote:
thanks for the back up. hank is the same kind of ahole that ran me down on the freeway because, "i should have been looking out for him" and I deserve it because i am on a flashy bike. she was dressed provacatively so she deserved to get raped:banghead:

I have had many of the same police harrassment issues as you have.

how many times have you heard "looked like you were going a little fast there......what kind of bike is that?"

these cops think it is cool to pull you over to chat about your bike.

what kind of bike you ride??

"If you don't ride like the cars around you are about to kill you, they are." is what my dad always told me from day 1 on a bike.

Hitting the ground at 70mph is scary, getting run over is scary, getting up and being confronted by an ahole in a harley shirt getting out of his ford f-350 threatening your life (after he almost already took it) is scary.

but i probably deserved it, i was the common denominator

dick

i am not the most defensive rider in the world, but i do take caution and i do not take extreme risks (splitting lanes, popping wheelies etc) there is just nothing you can do to prevent the girl (usually is a girl, sorry) who is talking on her cell eating lunch and putting on her makup while changing the cd and smoking from coming into your lane with no signal or notice over a solid white line.

Hank may your underwear be itchy and may you never kill a motorcyclist with your car. if you see my orange bike, jacket and helmet just stay the f away from me!!! caveman hank

Uhhhg! I finally quit riding after 30 years. It just got too dangerous.

Uraijit

imported post

Sorry, I was going to give you a link... it's www.UtahSBA.com. There's a forum there, that's where they usually set up the group rides. The group rides are pretty informal, the do them pretty regularly, but it's just members to set 'em up. If you just post that you're going to be riding a certain ride on whatever day, you'll usually find at least a couple of guys who will come along.

I personally don't do the whole large group rides thing... Especially with people I don't know well. To me, larger groups tend to bring out people's egos, and the stupidity that comes with it. I ride in smaller groups, and generally with people I know. But like I said, most of these guys have their heads on straight, so I'm sure they're great to ride with. For me it's just a personal thing that I decided on a long time ago.

I've met a few of the members and helped them work on their bikes, and the forum is very helpful and friendly.

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

dont suppose if i oc on a group ride i would make too many friends oh well
thanks for the tips
when i come up with the dough i will buy a track bike
not going to put the Z out there too pretty.

Uraijit

imported post

They're a pretty friendly bunch, but OC on a bike is a pretty common practice with squids, and the practice CAN be frowned upon by bikers in general for that reason. You probably won't have any problems as long as you don't come off as a squid. Wear your gear, and ride responsibly. Don't run your mouth like Hank, and I'm sure you can make friends just fine. ;) You may even help sway a few people away from the idea the it is a purely "squiddish" practice.

I honestly can't say one way or another what this particular group's feelings are on the matter. But I will say this. About 3 years ago, I heard on the news about a group of riders in SLC who were at a Chevron waiting to go on a ride. A man robbed the gas station, and then fired a shotgun in their general direction. They ran him down and held him at gunpoint until the police arived... Don't know if they were OCing or not, but they were definetly armed.

rocknsnow

imported post

I have riden with those guys up there. They are crazy. I ride a squid, but the group I ride with here in the Orem area are safe. We all ride the gear and some of us carry. But it is concealed.

Uraijit

imported post

Like I asid, my experience with them is limited to forum interaction only. What group do you ride with in Orem? Is it the group that used to meet at the Chevron on State and 800 N?

If so, I talked with the guy who rides the flamed out R1 a couple of times, and he seemed like a mature individual. He invited me to go riding with the group, but they seemed to spend more time hanging out in the parking lot than actuallyriding...

What do you mean by "I ride a squid"?

rocknsnow

imported post

i ride a sport bike. i ride with guys that work at Monarch Honda mainly. We used to meet there or at the Wendys Chevoron in PG. I know the guys you are tlking about, we have ridin with them a few times, but they do just sit around. We like to crusie or hit Provo canyon, Squaw Peak, or go around the lake. We want to do Big and Little COtton wood canyons next year.

Uraijit

imported post

Sweet. Like I said, I hopefully won't still be here next season, but if I'm still around, maybe I'll come on a ride with you guys.

For what it's worth, a "Squid" is an idiot inexperienced rider. NOT a sport bike rider. There are plenty of us sport bikers who are responsible mature adults. "Squid" is a pejorative term we use to refer to those who aren't.

Squid = Squirley Idiot Kid. ;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I have never been "called" on.

I believe that Law Enforcement is starting to get used to our Articles here in Utah and is being up-to-date on Gun Laws in Utah more and more in the mornings before they hit the "Beat".

I believe that dispatch is asking questions more in detail. To get a better picture. I also believe that they are saying that it is legal and that "we will check it out". I don't believe that they will really "check it out" maybe sent a unit to observe for a minute or two

Due to the articles People are being more educated that seeing a gun on a hip (or on a thigh, if you are SGTJensen :lol:) is not illegal in Utah.

Just be cool and act "normal" and people won't care. It's when you seem paranoid that you will start "freaking" people out. Remember to be on your "best" behavior. Smile and extend courtesy, open doors. "Ma'am I can take that cart back for you"

Just my .44

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
HankT wrote:
The more I ride my motorcycle the more I recognize why all those guys OCed. they wanted their space and they were taking it by force.
I am nearly run off the road at least 4 times per week and I am sick of it.
How will OC helpyou with this problem?
as i stated before.
OC bikers get a bubble effect similar to the bubble that police officers get.

I also believe that folks will remember me and remember to look for me after I pass them.

I usually get run off the road by people that I have already passed and are repassing me at the light getting off the freeway or after a red light. It is like they forgot that I was there.
I would like to make an impact so that they will remember that I am there.

If you're getting run off the road 4 times a week, you're doing something wrong.

Have you taken any motorcycle instruction or safety classes?

roflmao1.gif

That is funny HankT

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

.....I do CC every day and my decition to OC would be to "intimidate" and to look cool. ( I think OC on a bike looks awesome)......

Chris, I have a real problem with your reasoning.

I carry openly when it is more convenient or comfortable than carrying concealed.

I carry concealed when I need to not have anyone see my gun.

I carry a gun to protect myself and those I love.

Because I carry I have changed my wardrobe and a lot of what I do. I am careful where I go and how I respond to others. I am now less cool and not more cool.

I try to do everything I can to avoid any situation that would cause me to have to use my gun.

The next to the last thing I would ever want to do is shoot another person. The last thing I would ever want to do is see an innocent person, or my self shot or injures because I was not ready willing and able to defend them.

To a real man or woman (as in HankT's case) it is not about being cool or intimidating,but it is about taking responsibility and being prepared.

That is what we are trying to tell you.

If you are always getting run off the road, it is because you are putting yourself in situations that are inherently hazardous, just as someone who is always pulling his gun is not being responsible concerning self protection and putting themselves in situations that they shouldn't be putting themselves in, or are inherently reckless.

Please re-think why you carry a gun.

Tarzan

tarzan1888

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
HankT wrote:
HankT wrote:
The more I ride my motorcycle the more I recognize why all those guys OCed. they wanted their space and they were taking it by force.
I am nearly run off the road at least 4 times per week and I am sick of it.
How will OC helpyou with this problem?
as i stated before.
OC bikers get a bubble effect similar to the bubble that police officers get.

I also believe that folks will remember me and remember to look for me after I pass them.

I usually get run off the road by people that I have already passed and are repassing me at the light getting off the freeway or after a red light. It is like they forgot that I was there.
I would like to make an impact so that they will remember that I am there.

If you're getting run off the road 4 times a week, you're doing something wrong.

Have you taken any motorcycle instruction or safety classes?

HankT...Shut UP.

I'm ROTFLMAO. You are Fuuuny.

( I don't have that Emoticon that's laying down laughing and kicking)

roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif
roflmao1.gif