• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Im a Utahn...

b1ack5mith

imported post

im 18 and own a firearm i purchased from an private party, with a bill of sale. i can legally OC in UT, but id like to know CA laws for when i visit. thanks!

Blacksmith

b1ack5mith

imported post

i read alot of that site, thanks!

but do any of you guys know the orange county towns i can carry in? and what kinds of precations must i take... (magazine separate... 1000 feet away from a school... etc.) and is it true that you cant carry in a county with more than 200k people?

any towns in orange county/LA county i can carry in?

thanks!

cato

imported post

http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

This linkhas about everything you need information wise. You may carry in every city in CA. But it kinda takes a knowledge of the area to not end up in a 1000 foot school zone - thats a felony and yes you do have to knowingly be in a school zone to be convicted, but just an arrest would cost you $25,000 - $50,000 to fight in court.

If you're found in a vehicle with a firearm there is a chance you could face a concealed charge. A firearm worn openly in a belt holster is not considered concealed, but with a firearm not registered with CA DOJto you the charge goes from a misdemeanor to a felony even if the statute is wrongly applied. Again money and time to defend.

Based on your latest post I see you don't fully understand the laws. 200,000 population has nothing to do with unlicensed unloaded (mags separate)open carry (Mike should really change the CA forum front page).

Read the link. It's all there. If you still have questions, based on your read, we'll have something to address.

Unless you are in a remote part of unincorporated county area and you know it is not a no discharge area the safest legal way to open carry 100% of the time (not in a 1000' school zone) is with holstered sidearm unloadedwith mags separate in an exposed mag pouch.

As for precautions, carry a recorder and have friendly witnesses. Don't act nervous while carrying. Dress conservatively. Etc... I won't try to talk you out of this as it is you decision. Have a lockable case with you for when you need to lock it up. Perhaps even register the gun with DOJ (it will remove the felony charge for concealed 1st offense but not the felony charge for a school zone). Don't speed. Use you turn signal. Smile? Carry a copy of that OC brochure.

Hellrazor227

imported post

from my few experiences of OCing in Southern California the more populated/gun ignorant the area is you are carrying in the more likely you are to get harassed. Many areas of Orange County and the Los Angeles area probably fall into these categories so be prepared for police involvement if you do choose to OC.

Don't snap at me other So Cal residents you should know the gun ignorance of the general populace of our area.

Hellrazor227

imported post

from my few experiences of OCing in Southern California the more populated/gun ignorant the area is you are carrying in the more likely you are to get harassed. Many areas of Orange County and the Los Angeles area probably fall into these categories so be prepared for police involvement if you do choose to OC.

Don't snap at me other So Cal residents you should know the gun ignorance of the general populace of our area.

b1ack5mith

imported post

yeah, im from whittier and grew up in anaheim area untill about 4 months ago XD, theyre REALLY gun ignorant... my dad used to be a part time cop in signal hill, and he didnt know anything about open carrying bein legal haha (then again it was like in the 70's... maybe it was illgal... cause someone might have got frustrated and shot a hippie XD!) but thanks for the info! thats REALLY interesting that you can carry anywhere!!! and i bet the cops will give us trouble anyways in CA for OCing... ill just show em my ID when they point their guns at me: "ITS OK! IM FROM UTAH!" :D

P.S. are glocks legal in CA? cause my dads springfield XD container says "NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA" right on it... and the XD and glock are pretty similar in style...

thanks again for the info guys!

b1ack5mith

imported post

so far from what ive read about CAs strics laws is... i no longer am afraid of being in contact with utah officers while im carrying hahahaha! well, kev and i were in tacotime, and we had our guns on... and about 5 cops came in for food and didnt say a word about it lol

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
P.S. are glocks legal in CA? cause my dads springfield XD container says "NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA" right on it... and the XD and glock are pretty similar in style...
Glocks should be legal. The reason the Springfield case says that is because it came with magazines that hold more than ten rounds.

cato

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
Glocks should be legal. The reason the Springfield case says that is because it came with magazines that hold more than ten rounds.
Only pistols sold by FFL dealers are required to be on the DOJ "safe" handgun list. You can bring in any pistol while traveling through, visiting, or moving to the state (if moving one has 10 days? to register pistols).

Bringing in 10+ round mags may get you a date with PC 12020 (felony importation).

Attachments

• sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 191