• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

holy camoli! FFX County hearing on their legislative agenda is TODAY at 4PM!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Looks like they want to avoid public comment against their anti-gun platform - this was kept very quiet!

See hearing schedule at[url]http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/government/board/bdagenda/11-19BoardPackage.pdf[/url], at 3. They usually run late on these things.

See draft legislative agenda (wish list) at [url]http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/government/board/2008_draft_program.pdf[/url]:

Item 4:Allow County to ban gun carry on all County property,with a permit holder exemption; also, to instruct legislators at state and federal level to oppose measures to make illegal weapon trafficking easier.

Item 5: Make teen cell phone driver ban a primary offense (would increase ability of police to stop us all to investigate cell phone use)

Joint position with School Board: Page 18, item 15: Make ALL teen driver offenses primary, and make seat belt infractions primary, allowing police to stop almost any vehicle at any time and search occupants and driver compartment under Terry stop doctrine.

Directions to County HQ: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/maps/locatMap.htm
Try to sign up at https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bosclerk/speaker_bos.htmby 10 AM on Monday - but if you miss it, they will call for anyone else to speak and then you can stand up.

rob99vmi04

imported post

Don't worry my co-worker and I signed up to speak @ 4 oclock. We need a copy of the Virginia Pre-emption law.

any body have a link?

Basically what where going to say if we are near the front of the speaking line.

"Board of Supervisers, I'm sure your aware of Virginia State Law Pre-emption, However, if your not I would like to inform you as to what that is" thats when i bring up the code for pre-emption. "According to Virginia State Law what your trying to pass is against the law as in you have No authority to pass this law. This is not a question of if I'm pro 2A or if I'm against 2A. Regardless of who gets up after me and speaks on either side is Irrelavant. What your proposing is ILLEGAL. Can we all go home now?"

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

(1987, c. 629, § 15.1-29.15; 1988, c. 392; 1997, cc. 550, 587; 2002, c. 484; 2003, c. 943; 2004, cc. 837, 923.)

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I think Fairfax is well aware of preemption. They want the General Assembly to give the county more authority to regulate/control guns.

I think a good talking point is: We live in the Commonwealth of Virginia -- not the Commonwealth of Fairfax. Major laws should be controlled at the state level and not subject to the whims of majority vote of the Fairfax County Supervisors. We have two houses in the General Assembly to prevent wild hares and crazy whims from ruling the day.

IanB

imported post

Well, that sux. I had today off and could easily have been there if I'd just been online earlier.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Citizen wrote:
How did it go?
Go to http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/cable/channel16/vod.htm, click "Public Hearings" under 19 SEP 07, then move toggle button at bottom of video to 58:30:

1. Connolly comments.

2. AndyLander's comments.

3. My comments.

4. Jeff Barnes Pres. of Fairfax County Federation of Civic Associations (did not mention anything on guns as far as I saw).

2 other VCDL members were present, including a board member- they chose not to testify as no anti-gun speakerswere present and the mood of the board was somber and quiet.

NOTE: I screwed up and forgot to mention opposition to the vague element of the agenda to oppose measures which might promote trafficking in "illegal guns." Shows you always need a clear outline with large letters when speaking on a time limit.

rob99vmi04

imported post

Sorry if im misspelling words or using bad grammer. I destroyed my right hand on saturday. Trip to the emergency room, 15 shots of novacain, 6 stitches, and a T-shot makes my typing pretty bad,

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
Sorry if im misspelling words or using bad grammer. I destroyed my right hand on saturday. Trip to the emergency room, 15 shots of novacain, 6 stitches, and a T-shot makes my typing pretty bad,

Sorry, take the comma off the end of the link, then it will work...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

rob99vmi04 wrote:
yeah but it won't let me fast forward
Click on the little button under the screen, hold, and shift right; try an alternate video player if you can't figure it out.

As you can see, speaking at these events can leave a great record of pro-gun comments - if nobody comes to speak against gun control, you bet the council will tell folks later - "We had nobody speak against out proposal."

When folks spot these types of hearings anywhere in the US, piost it on OCDO so others can be alerted and come to speak.