• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many states allow open carry?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mike wrote:
Venator wrote:
I'm writing a letter to the editor and need this info. Let me know how many and what your reference is. Thanks.

Brian
See the map - all but 8 allow open carry, and most require no license to OC.
Thanks for the info, but what map? I don't see one on this site.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Shall-issue states in the U.S. The following are undisputed shall-issue states: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

=36 Shall issue states, assuming Wiki is up to date...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shall_issue

unrequited

imported post

SUPER quick photoshop hack job. It is probably inaccurate and full of mistakes. I just combined the handgunlaws.us and opencarry.org maps color coding any states red which weren't shall issue or weren't OC. Here's what we're left with:

(this map assumes you are the resident of the state you're looking at)
8ak01v8.png

If there are any inaacuracies, let me know, I'll redo, re-edit, and relink the correct map as not to propagate them.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
SUPER quick photoshop hack job. It is probably inaccurate and full of mistakes. I just combined the handgunlaws.us and opencarry.org maps color coding any states red which weren't shall issue or weren't OC. Here's what we're left with:

8ak01v8.png

If there are any inaacuracies, let me know, I'll redo, re-edit, and relink the correct map as not to propagate them.
Alas, a map I can finally read (only 2 colors) I can't read the maps on the homepage very well, my video card is broken and awaiting a new one, therefore I can't tell which colors are which!

I'm not sure if it's correct or not, but if you got good information, well, then it should be.

Regardless of any mistakes, nice job!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

unrequited wrote:

8ak01v8.png

How about a map focusing only on the 13 licensed open carry states, and have two colors for them (one for may issue, one for shall issue), white for the other states which allow OC without a license at least as a matter of state law in some instances.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Mike wrote:
unrequited wrote:

8ak01v8.png

How about a map focusing only on the 13 licensed open carry states, and have two colors for them (one for may issue, one for shall issue), white for the other states which allow OC without a license at least as a matter of state law in some instances.

The map is pretty good, but there are some states that regulate OC so you will want to do research before going to them.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

unrequited wrote:

8ak01v8.png

This is confusing. California has no statutory prohibition to open carry and is a "May Issue" state. If it werent so, I would have already been hooked up and lamented a freshly minted criminal record.

massltca

imported post

unrequited wrote:

8ak01v8.png

Open Carry is legal in Massachusetts, but to my knowledge no one does it except maybe in remote areasdue to the may issue status of our state. We gave a "suitable person" clause in the law and some police chiefs might decide you are not a "suitable person" to hold an LTC if you decide to open carry. :cry:

MGL Chapter 140 Section 131d) Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to such licensing authority or the colonel of state police, an application for a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms, or renewal of the same, which such licensing authority or said colonel may issue if it appears that the applicant is a SUITABLEPERSON to be issued such license, and that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property, or for any other reason, including the carrying of firearms for use in sport or target practice only, subject to such restrictions expressed or authorized under this section, unless the applicant:

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
unrequited wrote:

8ak01v8.png

This is confusing. California has no statutory prohibition to open carry and is a "May Issue" state. If it werent so, I would have already been hooked up and lamented a freshly minted criminal record.
Did you not read the key to the map...?

Your state is red, then it is no oc OR may issue, does not have to be both, could be either, or both...

They yellow states are oc AND shall issue...

This map can also be used for finding a new state to move the family to...:p

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nice map! I would offer only one suggestion. It may be helpful to use another color to distinguish: OC w/preemption + shall issue; OC w/o preemption + shall issue. Missouri for example doesn't have preemption, and while OC is legal at a state level, there are lots of local ordinances prohibiting it. Just a thought...

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

openryan wrote:

Your state is red, then it is no oc OR may issue, does not have to be both, could be either, or both...

Yes, I read it. It implies that OC is illegal.

And Im not moving. California is part of the United States where the Constitution is the law of the land.

More people need to stand and fight for what is theirs, rather than relocate to another State for the purpose of seeking out 'easy' liberty.

massltca

imported post

openryan wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
unrequited wrote:

8ak01v8.png

Yeah I saw it, just providing a little extra information.:)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
openryan wrote:

Yes, I read it. It implies that OC is illegal.

And Im not moving. California is part of the United States where the Constitution is the law of the land.

More people need to stand and fight for what is theirs, rather than relocate to another State for the purpose of seeking out 'easy' liberty.
I'm not trying to mock you so don't take it that way... but...

If you look at the key... the red color is for states that are MAY ISSUE (not shall issue) OR they do not allow oc... in your case, they ALLOW OC, but CA is a MAY ISSUE state.

For the map to be easily read I can see where a more informative color scheme/key would come in helpful.

The part about moving was a joke! Lighten up ;)