Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ommalanden - Anyone go on Sundays after 12:00?

Post imported post

Been there few times. And as someone said, the RSO(s) are nice. Just wish they'd add a 100 yd range in the side of the existing ranges.

Also, if you OC and enter the range. You will be asked to exit, unload, and reenter with the action open. Heard a RO tell someone this as they entered.

State Researcher

Post imported post

radnor wrote:
    Been there few times. And as someone said, the RSO(s) are nice. Just wish they'd add a 100 yd range in the side of the existing ranges.

Also, if you OC and enter the range. You will be asked to exit, unload, and reenter with the action open. Heard a RO tell someone this as they entered.
    I usually go Sundays and know a few of the regulars that go that day. Most ranges do have rules that require you to bring your weapon in unloaded and cased and Ommelanden is one of those.

I'd love to try to get us Delawareans who're able to do a range day there sometime in the near future -- before it gets too cold.

When do you normally go?

Post imported post

I haven't gone in forever, and scheduling with me is a bit dicey...I have my son every other week, but I would love to meet up with some of you guys and plink a few (hundred, thousand, whatever..lol) off and have a good time.

State Researcher

Post imported post

KMcA6107 wrote:
    I haven't gone in forever, and scheduling with me is a bit dicey...I have my son every other week, but I would love to meet up with some of you guys and plink a few (hundred, thousand, whatever..lol) off and have a good time.

Bring him along? Unless he's really on the young side, heh. I'll be taking my 14yr-old nephew when he visits on the weekend of Dec 1st.

Post imported post

I'd love to bring him along...but, yeah, he just turned 5 HAHAHA. So, needless to say, I couldn't. But when he gets older (10-12 ish), he will DEFINATELY be going.

I believe that as long as they are in the house, of course locked up and secure, he should learn to use them, and RESPECT them and what they can do to himself and other people if he isn't careful. I feel it's the ignorance and disrespect for firearms that gets people in trouble where accidents happen.

State Researcher

Post imported post

KMcA6107 wrote:
    I'd love to bring him along...but, yeah, he just turned 5 HAHAHA. So, needless to say, I couldn't. But when he gets older (10-12 ish), he will DEFINATELY be going.

I believe that as long as they are in the house, of course locked up and secure, he should learn to use them, and RESPECT them and what they can do to himself and other people if he isn't careful. I feel it's the ignorance and disrespect for firearms that gets people in trouble where accidents happen.
    5 or 6 is definitely a great age to introduce them to the 'Eddie Eagle' series of videos from the NRA. As much as I don't always agree with their political stances, the children's videos are, thankfully, free of any kind of political message and start off by getting the message across to kids that, when they see a gun on the ground, stop, don't touch, run away and tell an adult or the police.

Once that's drilled in, I'm hoping to have my (currently) 4-year old able to field strip and reassemble my Springfield XD by the time she's 8.

Post imported post

LOL! good idea! And thanks for the info on those videos! I'm going to have to seriously check those out! And hey! Never know! We should both train the kids for competitions for when they get older! LOL.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I'm hoping that one of my two girls will take an interest in it.

Eddie Eagle video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEBrb_wRYc

Post imported post

GOOD DEAL! watching it now! Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

Post imported post

Most Sunday about 1:00. Usually talk to Bob quite abit 'bout reloadin, etc.

Bring the kid. I know a lady (she and her hubby shoot). They bring the kid and the kid shoot air soft. I think her son is in the 1st grade.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I like Bob.

I usually try to go after the wife gets back from church -- so I'm usually there on Sundays between 1-4pm. Might have to look for you guys!

Post imported post

Well, if you guys are going to be there on Sunday, let me know, I'll definately try to be there. Just wish I would have my Hi-Power by then...but I'm sure I wont. HAHA

Anywhoo, I haven't been to ommelanden in forever...and don't reload. I'm not knowledgeable on it at all, and living in a townhouse with no garage or anything...well, it makes me a bit nervous to say the least to try to start reloading.

BTW, a question for you guys. I'd love to bring my SKS there to shoot...but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find ammunition for it. I do have a ton of other ammo for it, but can't fire it there, and it needs to be disposed of. ANy clue where I can do that?

State Researcher

Post imported post

KMcA6107 wrote:
    Well, if you guys are going to be there on Sunday, let me know, I'll definately try to be there. Just wish I would have my Hi-Power by then...but I'm sure I wont. HAHA

Anywhoo, I haven't been to ommelanden in forever...and don't reload. I'm not knowledgeable on it at all, and living in a townhouse with no garage or anything...well, it makes me a bit nervous to say the least to try to start reloading.

BTW, a question for you guys. I'd love to bring my SKS there to shoot...but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find ammunition for it. I do have a ton of other ammo for it, but can't fire it there, and it needs to be disposed of. ANy clue where I can do that?
    Today's smokeless power is pretty safe and inert -- I live in a townhouse and will probably wind up claiming a little area in the corner of the back laundry room to set up a press when I get one.

As for ammo disposal, I have no clue -- may wanna ask the guys next time you're there. I'll try to make it on Sunday, but I know the wife has plans and I'll have to work around her when she solidifies the time.

Post imported post

If it is just FMJ (LEAD) stuff, you can shoot it there. You cannot shoot steel there. If it is steel, there is an outdoor range just through North East. The fee there is 10.00/day or (I think) 60.00 for a yearly pass. Been there once to look around. Never made any noise there.

Post imported post

Never knew they had an outdoor. Yeah, it is Steel. Picked it up at a Gun Show at the Nur Temple years ago when they were actually good. Actually, I got a brick of it the same day I got my SKS. I had no clue it was steel, as it was wrapped in wax paper and stuff. Opened it up at home and lo-and-behold it's actual Combat Loads from Russia. Little mini boxes with Russian writing and stuff. From what I heard, the powder they use is actually corrosive and can eat through the primers, yada yada yada...but I have no clue.

They'll let you shoot steel outside there? Goes to show how long it's been since I've been there. HAHAHA

Post imported post

living in a townhouse with no garage or anything...well, it makes me a bit nervous to say the least to try to start reloading.
    I have the same setup... Talk to Bob. He'll have you reloading in no time! He'll tell you as long as your not using the heater as a part of your bench and it's not like your messing with gasoline (fumes). Been there, had the discussion with him.

Post imported post

The range on NE, MD., I do not recall seeing anything stating you cannot shoot steel. I know at Ommelanden, you CANNOT shoot steel.

The range in MD., as you go through North East and the road comes together take the left at the light. It is a few miles down on the left. Think it is Elk Neck state forrest. There you will also have to bring in your own target stand (PVC or wood).

Post imported post

How late is Ommelanden usually open? I want to go tomorrow but can't get there till 4pm.

Post imported post

gotarheels03 wrote:
    How late is Ommelanden usually open? I want to go tomorrow but can't get there till 4pm.
    Wednesdays, til dusk. Here is a link to a PDF. http://www.fw.delaware.gov/NR/rdonly...rs20062007.pdf

Post imported post

Looking at that link I see that ammo greater than 3,500 ft. lbs. muzzle energy is prohibited. What kind of ammo would that be? How can I tell if my ammo exceeds this muzzle energy? Lets say I'm using Hornady 460 S&W Mag 200gr. SST/FFT's. Is there a calculation to use?

State Researcher

Post imported post

Anyone available for a range trip tomorrow (Black Friday), say around 2pm?

Post imported post

Just called 10:35AM, answering machine..... But, it was a good idea!

Post imported post

OneShot wrote:
    Looking at that link I see that ammo greater than 3,500 ft. lbs. muzzle energy is prohibited. What kind of ammo would that be? How can I tell if my ammo exceeds this muzzle energy? Lets say I'm using Hornady 460 S&W Mag 200gr. SST/FFT's. Is there a calculation to use?
    here's a chart

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=84658

.460 S&W Magnum 200gr 2,200fps 2,149(ft,Lbs)

Post imported post

Awesome! You have to try this handgun! I never thought it was a stress reliever (just plain fun) until I shot the S&W 460. Maybe it's the confined space at the indoor range, but the concussion can be felt through your whole body!. Left there with NO stress.

I had some LEO's in there with me the last time I fired it and they were going nuts. One guy said "I thought something blew up!"

It was a good time. They each took a turn shooting the 460 and we all had a good time. They said the concussion was much worse in the booths next to me. As a matter of fact, I waited for a new shooter to finish before I broke it out so she wasn't shaken. Ended up her husband shot all the rounds they bought. Good shot too. He was plugging them consecutively out to 20 yrds. with good accuracy. Looked like a .45.

Hey let's go to Omeladen! I'll make a new post. Not sure of the weather this weekend.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I might be up for a range trip this weekend.... I have the in-laws coming so I might be able to con them into playing with the kids for a short bit. Set up some details and we'll see if it's agreeable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast