• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ommalanden - Anyone go on Sundays after 12:00?

radnor

imported post

Been there few times. And as someone said, the RSO(s) are nice. Just wish they'd add a 100 yd range in the side of the existing ranges.

Also, if you OC and enter the range. You will be asked to exit, unload, and reenter with the action open. Heard a RO tell someone this as they entered.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

radnor wrote:
Been there few times. And as someone said, the RSO(s) are nice. Just wish they'd add a 100 yd range in the side of the existing ranges.

Also, if you OC and enter the range. You will be asked to exit, unload, and reenter with the action open. Heard a RO tell someone this as they entered.
I usually go Sundays and know a few of the regulars that go that day. Most ranges do have rules that require you to bring your weapon in unloaded and cased and Ommelanden is one of those.

I'd love to try to get us Delawareans who're able to do a range day there sometime in the near future -- before it gets too cold. :)

When do you normally go?

KMcA6107

imported post

I haven't gone in forever, and scheduling with me is a bit dicey...I have my son every other week, but I would love to meet up with some of you guys and plink a few (hundred, thousand, whatever..lol) off and have a good time.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

KMcA6107 wrote:
I haven't gone in forever, and scheduling with me is a bit dicey...I have my son every other week, but I would love to meet up with some of you guys and plink a few (hundred, thousand, whatever..lol) off and have a good time.
Bring him along? :) Unless he's really on the young side, heh. I'll be taking my 14yr-old nephew when he visits on the weekend of Dec 1st.

KMcA6107

imported post

I'd love to bring him along...but, yeah, he just turned 5 HAHAHA. So, needless to say, I couldn't. But when he gets older (10-12 ish), he will DEFINATELY be going.

I believe that as long as they are in the house, of course locked up and secure, he should learn to use them, and RESPECT them and what they can do to himself and other people if he isn't careful. I feel it's the ignorance and disrespect for firearms that gets people in trouble where accidents happen.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

KMcA6107 wrote:
I'd love to bring him along...but, yeah, he just turned 5 HAHAHA. So, needless to say, I couldn't. But when he gets older (10-12 ish), he will DEFINATELY be going.

I believe that as long as they are in the house, of course locked up and secure, he should learn to use them, and RESPECT them and what they can do to himself and other people if he isn't careful. I feel it's the ignorance and disrespect for firearms that gets people in trouble where accidents happen.
5 or 6 is definitely a great age to introduce them to the 'Eddie Eagle' series of videos from the NRA. As much as I don't always agree with their political stances, the children's videos are, thankfully, free of any kind of political message and start off by getting the message across to kids that, when they see a gun on the ground, stop, don't touch, run away and tell an adult or the police.

Once that's drilled in, I'm hoping to have my (currently) 4-year old able to field strip and reassemble my Springfield XD by the time she's 8. :)

KMcA6107

imported post

LOL! good idea! And thanks for the info on those videos! I'm going to have to seriously check those out! And hey! Never know! We should both train the kids for competitions for when they get older! LOL.

radnor

imported post

Most Sunday about 1:00. Usually talk to Bob quite abit 'bout reloadin, etc.

Bring the kid. I know a lady (she and her hubby shoot). They bring the kid and the kid shoot air soft. I think her son is in the 1st grade.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I like Bob. :)

I usually try to go after the wife gets back from church -- so I'm usually there on Sundays between 1-4pm. Might have to look for you guys!

KMcA6107

imported post

Well, if you guys are going to be there on Sunday, let me know, I'll definately try to be there. Just wish I would have my Hi-Power by then...but I'm sure I wont. HAHA

Anywhoo, I haven't been to ommelanden in forever...and don't reload. I'm not knowledgeable on it at all, and living in a townhouse with no garage or anything...well, it makes me a bit nervous to say the least to try to start reloading.

BTW, a question for you guys. I'd love to bring my SKS there to shoot...but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find ammunition for it. I do have a ton of other ammo for it, but can't fire it there, and it needs to be disposed of. ANy clue where I can do that?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

KMcA6107 wrote:
Well, if you guys are going to be there on Sunday, let me know, I'll definately try to be there. Just wish I would have my Hi-Power by then...but I'm sure I wont. HAHA

Anywhoo, I haven't been to ommelanden in forever...and don't reload. I'm not knowledgeable on it at all, and living in a townhouse with no garage or anything...well, it makes me a bit nervous to say the least to try to start reloading.

BTW, a question for you guys. I'd love to bring my SKS there to shoot...but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find ammunition for it. I do have a ton of other ammo for it, but can't fire it there, and it needs to be disposed of. ANy clue where I can do that?

Today's smokeless power is pretty safe and inert -- I live in a townhouse and will probably wind up claiming a little area in the corner of the back laundry room to set up a press when I get one.

As for ammo disposal, I have no clue -- may wanna ask the guys next time you're there. I'll try to make it on Sunday, but I know the wife has plans and I'll have to work around her when she solidifies the time.

radnor

imported post

If it is just FMJ (LEAD) stuff, you can shoot it there. You cannot shoot steel there. If it is steel, there is an outdoor range just through North East. The fee there is 10.00/day or (I think) 60.00 for a yearly pass. Been there once to look around. Never made any noise there.

KMcA6107

imported post

Never knew they had an outdoor. Yeah, it is Steel. Picked it up at a Gun Show at the Nur Temple years ago when they were actually good. Actually, I got a brick of it the same day I got my SKS. I had no clue it was steel, as it was wrapped in wax paper and stuff. Opened it up at home and lo-and-behold it's actual Combat Loads from Russia. Little mini boxes with Russian writing and stuff. From what I heard, the powder they use is actually corrosive and can eat through the primers, yada yada yada...but I have no clue.

They'll let you shoot steel outside there? Goes to show how long it's been since I've been there. HAHAHA

radnor

imported post

living in a townhouse with no garage or anything...well, it makes me a bit nervous to say the least to try to start reloading.
I have the same setup... Talk to Bob. He'll have you reloading in no time! He'll tell you as long as your not using the heater as a part of your bench and it's not like your messing with gasoline (fumes). Been there, had the discussion with him.

radnor

imported post

The range on NE, MD., I do not recall seeing anything stating you cannot shoot steel. I know at Ommelanden, you CANNOT shoot steel.

The range in MD., as you go through North East and the road comes together take the left at the light. It is a few miles down on the left. Think it is Elk Neck state forrest. There you will also have to bring in your own target stand (PVC or wood).

OneShot

imported post

Looking at that link I see that ammo greater than 3,500 ft. lbs. muzzle energy is prohibited. What kind of ammo would that be? How can I tell if my ammo exceeds this muzzle energy? Lets say I'm using Hornady 460 S&W Mag 200gr. SST/FFT's. Is there a calculation to use?