• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else catch this in the latest NRA American Rifleman magazine?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
dngreer wrote:
However, the reality is that the gun will be seized 99.9% of the time in cases like this. It's a good idea to keep at least one other gun in a secure place (safe, bank vault deposit box, etc). Or just know which friend or family member would be willing to loan you a gun until you get yours back.

Wait, why would I have a need to buy another one?

It sounds like they'd take ALL the guns in your house?

:shock:
It's not uncommon for LEOs to confiscate every firearm and other 'dangerous weapon' on the premises. Just about a year ago the police raided my parents' place because my brother (still living with the parents) had allegedly received some stolen property. They took the stolen property and several items that were not stolen - including a sword, an axe handle (hillbilly home defense baseball bat), 3 rifles, a shotgun, and a handgun.

All in all they took over 100 items (only 20 or so were the allegedly stolen property). No warrent was shown, no receipt was given, and a few items disappeared on the way to the station. Fortunately the guns were all returned. I encouraged my parents to pursue the matter legally, but they're too afraid that it wouldn't take much for these corrupt cops to fabricate evidence of crimes and put my folks in jail.

grog18b

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I apologize; I didn't not mean for this thread to seem as though it is a LEO bashing thread. You're right, LEO bashing does happen on here quite often, but that wasn't my intent. All I was saying was that I hate for a citizen to be left without a firearm or to have to go buy another. There are a few people here that dislike all law enforcement, but it's a minority, and I'm not one of them.
Appreciated. As I am new here, it'll take some getting used to I guess. ;)

grog18b

imported post

It's not uncommon for LEOs to confiscate every firearm and other 'dangerous weapon' on the premises. Just about a year ago the police raided my parents' place because my brother (still living with the parents) had allegedly received some stolen property. They took the stolen property and several items that were not stolen - including a sword, an axe handle (hillbilly home defense baseball bat), 3 rifles, a shotgun, and a handgun.

All in all they took over 100 items (only 20 or so were the allegedly stolen property). No warrent was shown, no receipt was given, and a few items disappeared on the way to the station. Fortunately the guns were all returned. I encouraged my parents to pursue the matter legally, but they're too afraid that it wouldn't take much for these corrupt cops to fabricate evidence of crimes and put my folks in jail.
You base this comment on your 1 incident with the police? Speaking as an LEO, it IS uncommon for us to seize all weapons unless it is a domestic violence incident, or they are believed to be stolen property. I would guess your parents had no records of the weapons ownership, and as the police already seized stolen property in the house, it is standard procedure to insure the weapons are also not stolen. As far as a warrant goes, if the police are invited in, or otherwise legally on the property, they don't need one. No, we don't just show up and walk into people's houses and steal stuff... Your brother had stolen property, which is illegal. As far as no reciept being given, I can only speak for my department, we don't give reciepts for stolen property, we usually arrest those in possession of it. If the items in question were not stolen, a reciept should have been given. Your parents could have asked for a reciept at time of seizure. FYI-- the Constitution only forbids UNREASONABLE searches and seizures, not all of them. It is not unreasonable to, when recovering other stolen property, to check firearms, TVs, VCRs, ATVs, vehicles, and such to see if they are stolen. I know it's hard for you, but look at it from a cops point of view. Were one of those guns mine, I'd be happy they were seized...

AbNo

imported post

I don't have any records of weapon ownership, Grog.

Further more, I have to keep a few of my buddy Shayne's guns (including two family heirloom pieces) at my house.

Does that mean if I shoot some idiot SOB that comes into my house trying to rob the place that both he and I, as legal gun owners are going to have a bunch of missing weapons on our hands?

And by "missing", I mean "unrightfully seized".

grog18b

imported post

Yes, that means that, until the homicide is ruled justified, your guns will be seized. Just because a homicide is justified, does not mean an investigation is not done. I'm sure if someone shot you, you would want us to do the same thing, until a ruling is made.

Fallguy

imported post

I think what may upset some is the amount of time it takes to be ruled justified or not. Admittly some instances could take a fair amount of time to be investigated. But others shouldn't take long at all. Such as someone breaking into your house.

It seems in some cases it can be done pretty quick. Have you seen this thread?

grog18b

imported post

We had a case where an old guy used a 22 rifle to defend himself against a drunk neighbor that tried to break into his house. He didn't actually shoot anyone, as he was so scared, one round went in the door frame, and the other 3' above the door. We didn't seize anything, as it was clearly justifiable. However, in a homicide, there is usually one side of the story, and the other is hard to get. Agreed, it takes time, but we have little to do with that time. The DAs office takes the most time. Case in point? I asked ours for a court order for simple credit records... It took 6 months. We "cops" have nothing to do with the time involved.

Lew

imported post

grog18b wrote:
Yes, that means that, until the homicide is ruled justified, your guns will be seized. Just because a homicide is justified, does not mean an investigation is not done. I'm sure if someone shot you, you would want us to do the same thing, until a ruling is made.
You mean after I broke into his house and stabbed them?