• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The way you dress when you OC

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

In my opinion, No.

I have been promissing this for a while, here it is. This is my general OC attire.

ben.jpg

bencarrieswhat.jpg

Discuss... I have been OCing (as I have said many times) In Las Vegas for about 4 years now.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

That is a lot of stuff to carry!

I think you look fine for OC, but I could certainly see where someone would be "scared". You know. A man with a cowboy hat, tatoos, chains and stuff, call the police, he must be up to no good!;)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I don't think that it makes a difference really how you dress. Frankly with the cuffs people probably think you are a plainclothes LEO. I've met a few folks who actually try to look as little as a LEO as possible and they don't seem to have a problem.

As a critique of your setup I'd say lose the cuffs and use the pouch for a pressure bandage as I'd think that would be more likely to be useful.

ETA: Minus the cuffs, I carry analogous gear in almost the same way.:monkey

Erus

imported post

Is that a Pot leaf pendant on your necklace, or are you just happy to see Cops withnothing better to do? lmao...NO judgements... former smoker here.. just wondering if that, rather than the attire/tatts/cuffs (I keep mine in the truck, but handy)/etc might draw unneeded attention/concern from LEO's/sheep.

Beyond that, I personally would be happy to see you OC'ing around town.. I think the more the merrier.. I have no issue with anyone carrying a firearm, until/unless they pull it or point it without reason and responsibility. In my neighborhood, the local smoke shop guys all carry openly, as does the Lube/oil change guy around the corner in the strio mall from him. I PREFER doing business with an armed shopkeeper, and they seem to prefer/tolerate/not give a shi* regardingmyself as thier armed customer.

Keep carrying, encourage others to do so, and let's take back our rights, our streets, and our Honor.

Erus

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I don't think that it makes a difference really how you dress. Frankly with the cuffs people probably think you are a plainclothes LEO. I've met a few folks who actually try to look as little as a LEO as possible and they don't seem to have a problem.

As a critique of your setup I'd say lose the cuffs and use the pouch for a pressure bandage as I'd think that would be more likely to be useful.

ETA: Minus the cuffs, I carry analogous gear in almost the same way.:monkey
You honestly do not think it makes a difference how you dress? Legally, or course it doesn't. But when you have sheeple around, and people checking you out, and interactions with cops, it can give an unwanted impression. Personally I try to dress nicely, or at least presentable to give a good impression, even when cc'ing.

Police are not the only ones who profile you. If someone goes into a gas station with a gun on their hip, ripped up jeans, and a "high times" shirt, and another guy comes in with nice jeans, polo shirt, same rig set up--you can bet that if either of these guys gets unwanted attention from sheeple or police, it is going to be the former. Should it be this way, no, but some people take it as such.

If you walked in with the ripped jeans, sloppy shoes, high times shirt combo, without the gun, a lot of people would give you a second look from where I am from, add in the firearm, and you would really look like an oddball.

Again I do not care what anyone wears while packing, but the difference of unkempt vs. presentable in the eyes of sheeple can do wonders.

If you think it makes NO difference, not even the tiniest bit, you are only fooling yourself.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Aside from my extra mags and my holster, there is nothing else on my belt, but a cellphone. the cuffs are in a cargo pocket, the spray is in a pocket as is the knife. I think that people who assume that "nicely dressed people draw less attention when OCing" are only fooling themselves. People see a gun on you, and its like a horse with its blinders on... tunnel vision. They see GUN! if they are scared or meh.. dudes got a gun. Depends on the person.

I guess there are a whole handful of private security companies, firearms training schools, gun stores, shooting ranges, military contract companies, etc, etc out here and people just think "he must work at X place" and then carry on with their daily business.

Cue-Ball

imported post

I agree with Ryan. Your appearance does make a difference, whether we like it or not. Everyone makes judgements based on appearance. That's one of our survival mechanisms. I'm not in favor of people trying to present the appearance of being a LEO or off-duty cop (display badges, displaying CCW permits, police-type polos), but I think that dressing too "out there" is likely harmful to our cause. I want people to see me OC and think to themselves "he's just a normal guy, going about his business. Maybe guns aren't so nasty after all". The last thing I want them to think is "he must be a cop" or "he looks like the president of the Ted Nugent fan club". :)

You don't look threatening, but you don't look real personable or approachable either.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
That's almost a complete DUTY BELT, add a baton and your there.

I personally wouldn't want to carry that much gear around on a daily bases.

More power to you, solider on.
Next time I'm in LV we will have to arrange a OC meet up.

Didn't you carry a Sig Sauer SP2340?

EDIT:
daily carry gear
Glock 20, one reload, BenchMade LFK, SureFire E2D and cell phone
Retired the Sig a few months ago.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
I think that people who assume that "nicely dressed people draw less attention when OCing" are only fooling themselves. People see a gun on you, and its like a horse with its blinders on... tunnel vision. They see GUN! if they are scared or meh.. dudes got a gun. Depends on the person.

I guess there are a whole handful of private security companies, firearms training schools, gun stores, shooting ranges, military contract companies, etc, etc out here and people just think "he must work at X place" and then carry on with their daily business.
+1 to appearance.

Almost the same kind of thing where I live. So many 3 letter agencys running around OCers can generally blend in.

papasmee

imported post

sorry longwatch, and with apologies to bravo_sierra, noone is going to mistake you for an off-duty anything.

reality check - you can wear ANYTHING you want. i don't care too much what anyone wears or does as long as they don't infringe on me or cost me money;)

BUT - right or wrong there is an "average" out there and if you fall too far on either side you will get noticed more often. this is whether you are oc or not.

you can dress all in cammo or a black suit, white shirt and narrow tie (MIB), or in a clown suit.i usually dress in jeans, cowboy bootsand a hawaiian shirt (arizona you know).

but i will get looks if i go into a biker bar, or a gay bar,or a ... not that there's anything wrong with either of those bars.

live and let live i say :celebrate but i digress.

i don't dress to hide the fact that i oc or promote the fact that i oc - i just do.

all i'm trying to say is - dress however you want but don't expect the general population nott o have opinions or preconceived notions based on how you look.

papasmee

p.s. for those of you carrying handcuffs - don;t they make a lot of noise? what about a few extra long zips ties? i know they aren't as "neat" but they would work just as well and are easily carried anywhere on your person.

Attachments

• oc.jpg
    oc.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 873

radwood

imported post

Outfit doesn't look bad. I'm not a fan of the nylon duty belts (riggers or otherwise), but to each his own.

Also, +1 to Papasmee with the extra long zip ties. I have a bag in the glove box of my car in case I ever need them. Maybe it's an Arizona thing :p

papasmee

imported post

radwood -

howELSE could you attach Christmas lights to a cactus?:?

zip ties and duct tape - don't leave home withoout them.

papasmee

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree, a person's dress shouldn't matter, with citizens, nor draw stops from police.

I also agree that if one diverges too far from "average" one is going to get perhaps unwanted or undeserved attention.

Personally, I think it is part of trying tochange views and opinions. Right now, the bed-wetters and police just aren'tclued in all that much. That's why we do what we do.

It will take a while, I think. Until then, my advice is to minimize their concern as much as possible. Or another way to say it, make it as easy as possible for them to be comfortable.

I've had good luck with business-casualclothes. I've had numerous encounters where polite questions or friendly humorous comments are offered by strangers.

FogRider

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I agree, a person's dress shouldn't matter, with citizens, nor draw stops from police.

I also agree that if one diverges too far from "average" one is going to get perhaps unwanted or undeserved attention.

Personally, I think it is part of trying tochange views and opinions. Right now, the bed-wetters and police just aren'tclued in all that much. That's why we do what we do.

It will take a while, I think. Until then, my advice is to minimize their concern as much as possible. Or another way to say it, make it as easy as possible for them to be comfortable.

I've had good luck with business-casualclothes. I've had numerous encounters where polite questions or friendly humorous comments are offered by strangers.
+1 to that. It is rather naive to think that your appearance (which includes what you wear) has no effect on other peoples reactions. Your gun may get the initial attention, but how you look and act is what will determine what they will do about that initial reaction. By all means wear what you want, but if you want to dress in a way people perceive as a bad guy, don't expect a rational response.