• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The way you dress when you OC

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I am either wearing a polo shirt and slacks or a button down shirt and slacks (work wear that I sometimes wear when not working) or jeans and whatever shirt I find. I don't see anything wrong with OCing with how you normally dress, that is "you" and not a made up image for the rest of the world. I would just be aware that certain modes of dress will change people's perception, but attitude and actions ultimately make the difference.

The cuffs confuse me though. Otherwise I carry a knife, spare mag or speedloaders, pepper spray, cellphone and a flashlight somewhere on me.

Steve

XCon

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
In my opinion, No.

I have been promissing this for a while, here it is. This is my general OC attire.

ben.jpg

bencarrieswhat.jpg

Discuss... I have been OCing (as I have said many times) In Las Vegas for about 4 years now.
I like the knife and the handcuff u got there. pretty much blends in

XCon

imported post

Citizen wrote:
I agree, a person's dress shouldn't matter, with citizens, nor draw stops from police.

I also agree that if one diverges too far from "average" one is going to get perhaps unwanted or undeserved attention.

Personally, I think it is part of trying tochange views and opinions. Right now, the bed-wetters and police just aren'tclued in all that much. That's why we do what we do.

It will take a while, I think. Until then, my advice is to minimize their concern as much as possible. Or another way to say it, make it as easy as possible for them to be comfortable.

I've had good luck with business-casualclothes. I've had numerous encounters where polite questions or friendly humorous comments are offered by strangers.
what if an officer ask you to speak with you and ask you whom do you work for etc..what would be your response? can you list of response that one can give...thank you

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

18 USC 1001 states in part:

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully— 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both.

The way I see it, the Feds don't even need to read you your Maranda Rights to use what ever you say against you.

What does your State law say?

Ohio law says that you have give your name, date of birth and address. This is clearly unconstitutional. The First Amendment gives you the right to speak and therefore it gives you the right to not speak.

One of my first questions to LEO is "Can anything I say or do be used against me in a court of law, civilly or criminally.

LEO's answer better be yes and if not he/she is lying.

I don't ever acknowledge whatever the LEO accuses me of.

I have never worked for anybody in my life. I work with others, not for others. I think slavery was abolished in this country.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Opsgear wrote:
what if an officer ask you to speak with you and ask you whom do you work for etc..what would be your response? can you list of response that one can give...thank you

You first have to decide whether its a hostile interview. I'd base that on the officer's physical approach and tone of voice.

If I was notfairly certain it was a friendly question, I wouldn't answer it. I would probably go with something like, "I understand you are just trying to do your job, but I do not consent to this encounter/have nothing to say in the absence of my attorney. Am I free to go?"

If I was fairly sure it was a friendly question, I might say somethinglike, "Oh, my employer doesn't let me discuss it. You guys having a busy night?" (This is entirely truthful. My boss, although supportive of my 2A efforts, doesn't want me mixing the company name with firearms or poliltical activism.)

And, either way, friendly or hostile, I'd activate the voice-recorder the moment I saw him.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Dude, give your little brother his hat back. :p

You look like someone who lives in a different culture than I do, but that in itself does not make you a threat. Some people, myself included, dress to please only themselves. While I won't intentionally upset people, I will not change who I am just to "blend".

LoveMyCountry

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

This is pretty typical for me... Workboots for footwear. No Bahomet pendants, but I'm not in a business suit either.

Haircut/combinb and shave needed.... duly noted...It's 9 am...lol.

Attachments

• 100_0934.JPG
    100_0934.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 453

PT111

imported post

Ironic that everyone on here seems to be saying that how one is dressed to carry shouldn't matter but then willgo into panic mode when approached by gansta thug looking folks. :)

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Ironic that everyone on here seems to be saying that how one is dressed to carry shouldn't matter but then willgo into panic mode when approached by gansta thug looking folks. :)
Demeanorand attire are two differnt things. I don't care if you're wearing a clown costume, if you're polite then its fine with me.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
This is pretty typical for me... Workboots for footwear. No Bahomet pendants, but I'm not in a business suit either.

Haircut/combinb and shave needed.... duly noted...It's 9 am...lol.
My video card is a bit messed up at the moment, so the colors are off... but that gun looks quite long... what kind?

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

It is indeed a tad long. in the neighborhood of seven inches. It's the XD .45 Compact 4'' barrel. It's not the world's greatest CC gun, but it is reliable.

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

I carry theXD45 Service, and it really doesn't get in the way at all. I carry in a serpa as well, very comfortable with the paddle attachment.I usually wear a black polo or some kind of button up shirt, untucked, but with the right side tucked over the holster so as to expose the gun. It works well for me. My shirts are small, since I'm a small guy, and can't really accidentally flop over the grip. I wear this with jeans/khakis and either black boots or tennis shoes.

I've had oneLEO ask me in line at Wendy'swhat department i work for, and I simply replied "I don't work for any department, but why do you ask?" He replied that I couldn't carry my gun like that, and I said, "well, why not? It's not illegal. Concealing it would be illegal because I don't have a CHP." then he got that look on his face, like, "oh yeah, there are no laws against OC in Louisiana, only CC!" We had a polite convo about why I carry, and he fully agreed with me.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
I carry theXD45 Service, and it really doesn't get in the way at all. I carry in a serpa as well, very comfortable with the paddle attachment.I usually wear a black polo or some kind of button up shirt, untucked, but with the right side tucked over the holster so as to expose the gun. It works well for me. My shirts are small, since I'm a small guy, and can't really accidentally flop over the grip. I wear this with jeans/khakis and either black boots or tennis shoes.

I've had oneLEO ask me in line at Wendy'swhat department i work for, and I simply replied "I don't work for any department, but why do you ask?" He replied that I couldn't carry my gun like that, and I said, "well, why not? It's not illegal. Concealing it would be illegal because I don't have a CHP." then he got that look on his face, like, "oh yeah, there are no laws against OC in Louisiana, only CC!" We had a polite convo about why I carry, and he fully agreed with me.
Yeah... I think OpenRyan was asking because I've said in many posts that MOST of the time, I CC, and it is pretty difficult to conceal in the SERPA. I have done it, but usually only with a jacket or baggy sweater. Any other time I have to conceal it, it's at 6 o clock in an uncle mike's sidekick IWB.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
It is indeed a tad long. in the neighborhood of seven inches. It's the XD .45 Compact 4'' barrel. It's not the world's greatest CC gun, but it is reliable.
My sigma is 7 1/4", does that thing not go all the way into the holster? It looks damn big! BTW, nice rig!

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

openryan wrote:
vmathis12019 wrote:
My sigma is 7 1/4", does that thing not go all the way into the holster? It looks damn big! BTW, nice rig!
The only thing I can figure is the angle of the photograph makes it look larger than it really is. Even though it's called a "compact" pistol, it certainly is not a pocket auto. It weighs nearly two pounds with 11 rounds in it.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

Hey kids! It's the LMC show!! :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Short of wearing a ski mask over your face while carrying a gun, I don't see any reason to dress differently when packing than when not.

Sometimes I look like this.
newopencarry.jpg

Sometimes like this.
mini-IMG_5797-1.JPG

Wearing this.
mini-1911serpa.jpg

With a black leather jacket with this on the back.

mini-dtom1.jpg

All while open carrying. Very rarely get any comments unless it's "nice gun" or, as happened just the other day while shopping, "thank you for wearing that on your jacket!" :cool:

As Popeye said "I yam what I yam".

LoveMyCountry

Mjolnir

imported post

OMG ya have me ROTFLMAO Bravo Serra :p:p What training do ya have on the handcuffs & do ya know the laws about using em, let alone how to apply em without getting your ass kicked. Have ya ever been pepper sprayed by a professional teaching a class along with how the laws apply to using it?

It's a lot harder than ya think & even harder when holding somebody at gunpoint.

Believe it or not how you look is extremly important along with how you conduct yourself when OCing, the general public forms an opnion and right or wrong when they see a "thug" looking "punk" OCing ya really think the opnion they form is favorabile to gun owners? Or do ya think they form a favorable opnion after seeing a neat & clean person dressed in casual jeans & a shirt.

Your appearance is extremly important in the LEO world as well, if the officer responding sees somebody dressed up like a poser or thug how do ya think they will act toward ya compared to somebody clean cutt & dressed neat and professional. Sure it might not be "right" but life ain't fair and at the end of the day the LEO is going home.

Last time I was in Vegas I rode with a good bud of mine who's on Metro and while we did not see anybody OCing saw lots of people dressed like thughs & punks and had one of em almost try and shoot at us. Vegas is not the quiet little town many make it out to be & if you ain't careful it get's bad in a hurry.

Life ain't fair & while some might cry it's not "fair" that they get singled out for how they dress and appear in public, what can ya really expect, ya either look "professional" and mature or ya look like a poser and want-to-be thug.

lordnitrox

imported post

I think it's a matter of how you act, not how you dress....as long as you do not try to look like you are going to rob the place. I had no issues when OC'ing with friends when we all looked like we came from the moive "the crow". As other said, it's how you act. If you act normal and don't say things like you are trying to be from the ghetto you should be fine. I think most people "fear" black people who dress like crap, because they act like they are trouble. If you say "I cut him up bad" or listen to muisc that says "kill the B***, rape the ho" at 50 times louder then need be, anyone is going to think bad of you.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
OMG ya have me ROTFLMAO Bravo Serra :p:p What training do ya have on the handcuffs & do ya know the laws about using em, let alone how to apply em without getting your ass kicked. Have ya ever been pepper sprayed by a professional teaching a class along with how the laws apply to using it?

It's a lot harder than ya think & even harder when holding somebody at gunpoint.

Believe it or not how you look is extremly important along with how you conduct yourself when OCing, the general public forms an opnion and right or wrong when they see a "thug" looking "punk" OCing ya really think the opnion they form is favorabile to gun owners? Or do ya think they form a favorable opnion after seeing a neat & clean person dressed in casual jeans & a shirt.

Your appearance is extremly important in the LEO world as well, if the officer responding sees somebody dressed up like a poser or thug how do ya think they will act toward ya compared to somebody clean cutt & dressed neat and professional. Sure it might not be "right" but life ain't fair and at the end of the day the LEO is going home.

Last time I was in Vegas I rode with a good bud of mine who's on Metro and while we did not see anybody OCing saw lots of people dressed like thughs & punks and had one of em almost try and shoot at us. Vegas is not the quiet little town many make it out to be & if you ain't careful it get's bad in a hurry.

Life ain't fair & while some might cry it's not "fair" that they get singled out for how they dress and appear in public, what can ya really expect, ya either look "professional" and mature or ya look like a poser and want-to-be thug.
Wow, people need training to use pepper spray now, better tell that to the millions of females who carry the stuff, I am sure the majority of them have never been "sprayed in the face"...

Displaying cuffs, might be a bit excessive, but he can legally carry them if he wishes to do so, and I don't have a problem with that.

I can't believe you are gonna get on here and start talking about how people need to get trained with cuffs and pepper spray, do you have any idea how many people carry a firearm daily that have no formal or informal training...being shot is much more permanent than being cuffed or sprayed.

Get off your soap box.