• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The way you dress when you OC

Mjolnir

imported post

openryan wrote
Wow, people need training to use pepper spray now, better tell that to the millions of females who carry the stuff, I am sure the majority of them have never been "sprayed in the face"...

Displaying cuffs, might be a bit excessive, but he can legally carry them if he wishes to do so, and I don't have a problem with that.

I can't believe you are gonna get on here and start talking about how people need to get trained with cuffs and pepper spray, do you have any idea how many people carry a firearm daily that have no formal or informal training...being shot is much more permanent than being cuffed or sprayed.

Get off your soap box.
Obviously you have no idea what it's like to spray somebody or get sprayed with pepper spray.

You might be suprised at the results & what it's like to fight thrugh the spray when it splashes/blows back into your face.

As far as cuffs, here again it's obvious you have no idea what it's like to close with somebody held at gunpoint and apply a pair of cuffs, it's far from easy & it can also be extremly dangerous.

As far as shooting, I'll not address this for the obvious reasons.

If my "soap box" helps somebody then it's great, if not it's a waste of my time & why should you care if I waste my time, nobody forced you to read my postings or ckick on the qupte button now did they??

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Just because you haven't been sprayed with OC yourself, does not mean that you are not qualified to use it. Perhaps this makes you more qualified if you are? I don't know, but I don't think that one NEEDS to be trained to use OC spray. If you do get training, good for you, but if I started carrying it, I wouldn't go through any training.

Your argument would also seem to imply that you must be shot before you are allowed to use lethal force.Do I need tobe ina car accident before I am qualified to drive?Obviously this is preposterous and not what you were implying, but you see how your argument can break down?

Firearms and pepper spray are great responsibilities, but with common sense and good safety practices, both can be used by an individual without professional training.

Handcuffs? Don't carry them, so I can't argue either way.

Mjolnir

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Just because you haven't been sprayed with OC yourself, does not mean that you are not qualified to use it. Perhaps this makes you more qualified if you are? I don't know, but I don't think that one NEEDS to be trained to use OC spray. If you do get training, good for you, but if I started carrying it, I wouldn't go through any training.
What happens when ya spray somebody & ya get it on you via the wind, splashback or some other way.

What happens when it has no effect or little effect & you have it on you.

How do you know how you will react & how to fight thrugh it when the goblin fights thrugh it to you.

Sure ya don't "need" to be qualified to use it, but if you have trained with it and know what it does to you & how you react when you get it on you you know what to expect.

Anybody that thinks they won't get it on em when using it is wrong, as you will get some on you thus you need to know how your body acts & responds to being sprayed.

It's like going out and getting a new pistol, ammo & holster & never shooting it or doing any other training or practicing & expect it to not only go bang when ya shoot it, but you expect to hit your target as well.

dkd

imported post

lordnitrox wrote:
I think most people "fear" black people who dress like crap, because they act like they are trouble. If you say "I cut him up bad" or listen to muisc that says "kill the B***, rape the ho" at 50 times louder then need be, anyone is going to think bad of you.
they fear black people who dress like crap because they act like they are trouble?...lol,wow....some people may take you dressing like someone from the movie crow as dressing like crap and ASSume you are some trench coat mafia type ready to shoot the place up, and the last line is just beyond stupid

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
openryan wrote
Wow, people need training to use pepper spray now, better tell that to the millions of females who carry the stuff, I am sure the majority of them have never been "sprayed in the face"...

Displaying cuffs, might be a bit excessive, but he can legally carry them if he wishes to do so, and I don't have a problem with that.

I can't believe you are gonna get on here and start talking about how people need to get trained with cuffs and pepper spray, do you have any idea how many people carry a firearm daily that have no formal or informal training...being shot is much more permanent than being cuffed or sprayed.

Get off your soap box.
Obviously you have no idea what it's like to spray somebody or get sprayed with pepper spray.

You might be suprised at the results & what it's like to fight thrugh the spray when it splashes/blows back into your face.

As far as cuffs, here again it's obvious you have no idea what it's like to close with somebody held at gunpoint and apply a pair of cuffs, it's far from easy & it can also be extremly dangerous.

If my "soap box" helps somebody then it's great, if not it's a waste of my time & why should you care if I waste my time, nobody forced you to read my postings or ckick on the qupte button now did they??
I have been hit with spray, twice, not under any type of training conditions, on one ocassion I sprayed some key chain OC, to get an idea of the distance, got some in my eyes, I don't even think it was that much, at the very first second, I thought, wow this stuff doesn't burn at all, immediately after that thought went through my head, I was in tears and my eyes have never hurt so badly, even your lungs hurt. The second time someone thought it would be funny to "scare me" with some OC, they took it beyond what it was supposed to be, I'm in my room playing a video game one second, the next I had a mouthful of spray, in either instance, it doesn't feel good, and I wouldn't want to be on the other end of the nozzle.

Nonetheless, I don't think it requires training to know that this stuff isn't a joke -- Yes, it effects all people differently, but use baseline common sense, and you can use it properly. They also make very good foam OC's now, which reduce the chance of back spray greatly. Also I would opt for a stream shooter, rather than a spray or atomizer, as this will again reduce the chance of backspray.

As for handcuffs, it has been mulled over on another thread quite a bit, and obviously trying to detain someone, armed or not, who doesn't want to be detained is at best, dangerous. There are several tactics here that would be useful through training and instruction to help someone learn how to properly detain another individual. Furthermore, you can be subject to legal ramifications if you detain someone unlawfully, which is a whole different animal. I for one, wouldn't display my handcuffs simply for the sake of looking "bad", I did buy a pair myself, and if I do decide to carry them, I would keep them in my pocket, or in my glove box. I think detaining an individual is obviously not the first course of action in personal defense situations.

The qualm I had with your post, is that you seemed to jump on him, and nowhere in the post did I see him claim or disclaim any type of training he may or may not have had. You simply assumed, and mocked his carrying of the items.

lordnitrox

imported post

dkd wrote:
lordnitrox wrote:
I think most people "fear" black people who dress like crap, because they act like they are trouble. If you say "I cut him up bad" or listen to muisc that says "kill the B***, rape the ho" at 50 times louder then need be, anyone is going to think bad of you.
they fear black people who dress like crap because they act like they are trouble?...lol,wow....some people may take you dressing like someone from the movie crow as dressing like crap and ASSume you are some trench coat mafia type ready to shoot the place up, and the last line is just beyond stupid

What I said has a point, however I do not have that outlook. There is a saying that holds very true for the mass of people today. it goes "stereotypes are based off of observation, observation is based off how people act" If you look at it logicality, it is true. most people see black people dressed in one way, and also see them acting a certain way, thus they react. If most black people had on a Italian suite and acted like they were a CEO, people would not fear them. However black people are the bulk of inmates due to gangs, and people see this. Not everyone is a gang banger, yet if a normal person sees a group dressed as such, they are going to think they are.
as for me and my friends being seen as the next "trench coat mafia" it could happen. I never said I was not seen as dressing like crap, and I know I am ( jocks and cheerleaders :p). However it is hard to think of people as the next school shooters when all they do is talk about science and the meaning of life. If anything the biggest stereotype fixed with goth people is mental illness (cutting, suicide, ect) and the love to go to graveyards at night and write poetry about death. (only did that once; for Halloween >.> )
As for people saying "i cut him up bad" and music that says "kill the B***, rape the ho" I have noted most people see it as glorification of gang life and belittling women. thus making the criminal link once more. Also blasting any type of music gets on peoples nerves, and makes them think you are a asshole.
Really it's sociology and psychology that this whole argument (the one about how people judge you on how you dress) ...very cool stuff.

edit: spelling issues

grog18b

imported post

Well... My .02c... Appearance does matter, and why draw unwanted attention to yourself. I try to blend in as much as possible, which at 6'2 250 is hard sometimes. Let's say you saw two middle eastern types, in a Ryder truck, parked outside a mall, messing with wires... Get your attention? Open carry is fine, but why draw attention? Most attention drawn would probably be negative and un-wanted. As I am still active duty, I carry concealed for now, as, if something happens, I would like there be an element of surprise to my gunfire. When I retire, that might change, as I firmly believe in rights. If you want to see how much appearance matters... Walk into any police station dressed like a royal scumbag and see how you are received. Next, clean yourself up, shave, get a haircut, wear a suit and tie and walk into the same police station. There is a BIG difference in how I am treated, even a store, when I wear my street clothes, as opposed to my suit and tie. Once again, just my .02c

Neplusultra

imported post

radwood wrote:
Outfit doesn't look bad. I'm not a fan of the nylon duty belts (riggers or otherwise), but to each his own.

Also, +1 to Papasmee with the extra long zip ties. I have a bag in the glove box of my car in case I ever need them. Maybe it's an Arizona thing :p
Zip ties are good. I've thought of rolling one up and then slightly melting the edges of one side together by gently running a hot soldering iron from the center towards the outside of the rolled up tie, just a single line. You might have to do both sides. I "think" this would keep the tie in a nice small bundle until needed. You would then pull it apart breaking the welded joints as you unroll it. I'm not sure if this would adversly affect the functionality of the tie.

Just a though, haven't tried it yet.

If you don't like big handcuffs try "thumb" cuffs. Very small and easy to carry, although I don't. I do have two pair in my glove box though. You do have to be careful putting these on. The have to be *tight* to be secure, uncomfortably sometimes.

Another thought on cuffs. Don't get cuffs that are chained together. If the perp, and this has happened more than once, has a key hidden in his waistband he can twist around and unlock the cuff. Get cuffs that are hinged and then make sure the keyhole is pointed up towards the elbow. There is no way for a person that is cuffed to access the keyhole then.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

grog18b wrote:
Well... My .02c... Appearance does matter, and why draw unwanted attention to yourself. I try to blend in as much as possible, which at 6'2 250 is hard sometimes. Let's say you saw two middle eastern types, in a Ryder truck, parked outside a mall, messing with wires... Get your attention? Open carry is fine, but why draw attention? Most attention drawn would probably be negative and un-wanted. As I am still active duty, I carry concealed for now, as, if something happens, I would like there be an element of surprise to my gunfire. When I retire, that might change, as I firmly believe in rights. If you want to see how much appearance matters... Walk into any police station dressed like a royal scumbag and see how you are received. Next, clean yourself up, shave, get a haircut, wear a suit and tie and walk into the same police station. There is a BIG difference in how I am treated, even a store, when I wear my street clothes, as opposed to my suit and tie. Once again, just my .02c

This "draw attention" comment has to piss me off more than anything else. Why should I dress like the rest of the sheep just to "fit in"? **** that shit, I'll dress like I damn well please. This is America, not some commie country.

Mjolnir

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
grog18b wrote:

This "draw attention" comment has to piss me off more than anything else. Why should I dress like the rest of the sheep just to "fit in"? **** that shit, I'll dress like I damn well please. This is America, not some commie country.

Pissed off or not, you want to dress and look like somebody that is going against the "norm" and as thus you want to draw attention to yourself like it or not.

From the picture you posted yes you will draw negative attention from both the public at large and the law enforcement community, but since you want the attention and are willing to live with the ramafacations it's all good.

hsmith

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:

Lets also not forget pepper spray is useless on a certain segment of society, some people are "immune" to it. You might blind yourself in a fight and your attacker isn't fased at all.

Sage of Seattle

imported post

Funny you should say that.

For me, I don't care overmuch about how a person dresses. If they're an asshole and they happen to be wearing a suit and tie, they're just an asshole in a suit and tie.

A person walks around not saying "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me" like any other decent human being, then I won't wish to have anything to do with that person.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Sage of Seattle wrote:

Funny you should say that.

For me, I don't care overmuch about how a person dresses. If they're an asshole and they happen to be wearing a suit and tie, they're just an asshole in a suit and tie.

A person walks around not saying "please" and "thank you" and "excuse me" like any other decent human being, then I won't wish to have anything to do with that person.

Exactly, and I happen to be a very courteous and polite person. Keep in mind that I carry a first aid kit with me at all times. I'm always willing to help.

I may dress in all black and wear chains/spikes, but that doesn't mean I'm an ill-mannered asshole for no reason.

Again, cultural issue maybe, but things are different in Vegas.

Crackajack

imported post

I typically like to dress on the borderline between casual and business casual.

I am 99.9% of the time found in some type of polo shirt year round (just what I like to wear) and it 50% of the time it is tucked in.

I almost always wear some type of khaki or cargo pants.

If I ever wear a jacket, I will usually be CCing.

EagleFiveZero

imported post

The photo at the top of this thread would not appear in my definition of a 'Goodwill Ambassador'. Sidearm aside, it looks like the subject is trying to antagonize and 'make a statement' by over-doing it.

Appearing as the subject does in this photograph would be a turn-off to the average person. Instead we need to appear to be "Joe Regular Guy Who's Prepared But is NOT A Threat". The sloppy appearance in this photograph topped offwith tatoos, spiky wrist bands, handcuff, knives, flamethrowers, rocket launchers, etc. would not get this guy a date with my daughter to the Prom.:p

Seriously though, we are Goodwill Ambassadors whether we recognize it or not. The way we appear 'says something' to those we want to convert.#1 - we want people to see OC as okay and normal. #2 - we don't want 'Gun Nutcase' to be the first thought in their brain, as that will only perpetuate the negative image of 'Man With a Gun'. Instead, we need to appear to be people they can trust and who don't draw negative images in the minds of the public.

Sorry, but the subject of this photograph instantly conveys a 'Threat Message'.