• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

next noob question

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

can i go from cc to oc in public or oc to cc?

can i 'carelessly' cc? ie cc under a shirt that is too tight or too short (bending or reaching exosure) or covered by a loose piece of clothing (wind exposure)

my cc class instructor implied that once you cced you could not change to oc and vice versa. he also said that it was essential that our cc weapon be hidden at all times, he implied it was a crime to allow a cc weapon to be seen.
i was always so self concious about the possibility of someone seeing my gun
it was a real pain at the fair when my daughter wanted me to do bumber cars and i needed to move my weapon. i was afraid to let anyone see me transfer my gun to my wife (she has cc too) we had to walk around for a while before finding a place to transfer. looked more suspicious than anything.
should i be as concerned as i am/have been??

you folks are awesome and helpful i reguards to answering questions and validating/supporting your answers

thanks again in advance

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

mrbigthoughguychris wrote:
can i go from cc to oc in public or oc to cc?

can i 'carelessly' cc? ie cc under a shirt that is too tight or too short (bending or reaching exosure) or covered by a loose piece of clothing (wind exposure)

my cc class instructor implied that once you cced you could not change to oc and vice versa. he also said that it was essential that our cc weapon be hidden at all times, he implied it was a crime to allow a cc weapon to be seen.
i was always so self concious about the possibility of someone seeing my gun
it was a real pain at the fair when my daughter wanted me to do bumber cars and i needed to move my weapon. i was afraid to let anyone see me transfer my gun to my wife (she has cc too) we had to walk around for a while before finding a place to transfer. looked more suspicious than anything.
should i be as concerned as i am/have been??

you folks are awesome and helpful i reguards to answering questions and validating/supporting your answers

thanks again in advance

There is no law that requires a permit holder to conceal. As for switching between the two, just make sure you don't handle the firearm. Such as pull it out of your waistband or ankle holster, then transfer to the hip. But if you are just talking about taking off your jacket and exposing it, I do that all the time.

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

good

it is funny that these instructors are so full of misinformation. I guess it is like anything else

I guess the issue is more the ocers with no permit being careful about not inadvertently concealing.

I have always been so afraid of letting someone see my gun. I am glad I do not have to freak out.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I take off or put on my jackets/shirts at occasions as well I never worry about it since I have the "Permit":uhoh:.

As I was talking to Brian on Saturday, I asked his opinion about OCing. And as far as I figured there is not anything on the Law that says that the WHOLE gun even has to be shown.( still looking thru the Laws, statues and codes ). So I guess what I am saying is that either bottom half of gun/holster or top of gun/holster can be shown. There are on discriptive codes in Utah Laws and codes as far as I can see so far.

If there is a code that shows the manner of Open Carry...Please share it with me. I would really like to know

FogRider

imported post

I would advise that you make the transition as non threatening as possible. Glancing around and then hiding your gun right before walking into a gas station may be completly legal, but you are going to get funny looks if not have the cops called on you. On the flip side, a gun randomly coming out of concealment will not go over well either. Common sense will go a long way here.

xmirage2kx

imported post

As long as you don't pull your gun (even to change holsters) you should be fine. (Common sense applies) But removing a jacket, bending over and having your shirt pull up, or even deciding to tuck in your shirt should be no issue.

b1ack5mith

imported post

some guy i know tried to tell me that with a CWP its illegal to conceal, with it partially showing... i wish he could show me the law that said thats illegal :) he said "its brandishing" uhhh no it isnt... if u have a CWP, ur not breaking any laws

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

my wife was arguing with me about that same point
she vividly remembers our course instructor giving stern warnings to the 40 or so students about exposing your conceiled weapon.

he told us that if someone saw our gun even if it was just a buldge, we would be arrested and jailed, gun confiscated and loss of ccw permit.

nothing like a little fire and brimstone to scare folks
folks are fasinated with oc
many people that read the newspaper article are very interested in oc now
great press

my dad is trying to arge that he can carry his army issue 1911 with a round in the chamber because of the grip safety. i begged him to to do it. he thinks he would win the court case
cant tell an attorney anything

b1ack5mith

imported post

nononononoooo! it SEEMS legal cause the 2 actions, but the law states that you cant carry a "loaded weapon" and a weapon is deemed loaded with a round in the chamber, so I DO NOT ADVISE HIM to OC with a loaded firearm without a permit! we dont wanna break the law lol!

xmirage2kx

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
nononononoooo! it SEEMS legal cause the 2 actions, but the law states that you cant carry a "loaded weapon" and a weapon is deemed loaded with a round in the chamber, so I DO NOT ADVISE HIM to OC with a loaded firearm without a permit! we dont wanna break the law lol!

you could OC with 1 in the chamber if 2 actions from firing was the ONLY law, but the law reads:

76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders.

mrbigthoughguychris

imported post

sfortunetly he wont oc
but if i push the matter he would probably do it out of spite and for the challenge.
silly lawyerss

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

my dad is trying to arge that he can carry his army issue 1911 with a round in the chamber because of the grip safety. i begged him to to do it. he thinks he would win the court case
If he has a CFP, he CAN carry loaded. :celebrate

xmirage2kx

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
If he has a CFP, he CAN carry loaded. :celebrate
:monkey:monkey:monkey:monkeyGotta love the permit :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate