Thread: Paramedic Praised for shooting bad guy....

Post imported post

Paramedic Shoots, Treats Robbery Suspect
    Expert Marksman Paramedic Trained In Military

POSTED: 8:42 am EST November 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 1:16 pm EST November 20, 2007

[*]
    GRAND BLANC TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Genesee County authorities say a paramedic shot an armed robbery suspect several times after the man refused to drop his gun, then proceeded to treat him.

Sheriff Robert J. Pickell didn't identify the paramedic but said he's proud of him and says he did what he's trained to do – protect the public.

The county sheriff's paramedic is a military reservist and sharpshooter who served in Iraq.

Authorities said a Flint man held up a gas station Monday in Grand Blanc Township.

He then led police on a chase that involved a hit-and-run accident on Interstate 475 near Hill Road and ended when police used a precision immobilization technique, or PIT maneuver, to strike the back of the suspect's SUV.

The paramedic was one of several local law enforcement officers from Genesee County, including state police officers, who pursued the suspect down I-75.

Police said they attempted use a Taser gun to stun the suspect, but missed him.

Police said when the suspect refused to drop his weapon or respond to officers, the paramedic fired several shots.

The 28-year-old suspect was hospitalized and last listed in critical condition.
    C
    opyright 2007 by WNEM.COM. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

So read the article.....is this guy a LEO who happens to also be a paramedic....or is he just a paramedic? The article is a little wishy washy.

Post imported post

If not for the provided link I would swear this was a made-up story. The media actually printing a positive angle on the use of deadly force? Mayhap pigs will soon begin flying . . .

Thanks for posting that story.

Post imported post

Well it refered to him as 'military reservist' and'one of the officers' so I'd guess that he was acop.

Also:
    One of the limitations of a single shot weapon I guess.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    SNIP is this guy a LEO who happens to also be a paramedic....or is he just a paramedic? The article is a little wishy washy.
    News articles almost always are. Its rare to get all the facts needed to come to afull understanding and be able make good conclusions.

It makes for such nice discussions when they do it that way.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Heartless_Conservative wrote:
    Well it refered to him as 'military reservist' and'one of the officers' so I'd guess that he was acop.

Also:
    One of the limitations of a single shot weapon I guess.
    Tasers can be reloaded in less than a second, which is usually enough in a LTL situation.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher

Post imported post

It reads like he works for the Sheriff's department (perhaps a county search and rescue squad). This would put him under the command of the sheriff, much like a deputy, but whether he is a licensed police officer isn't clear.

Post imported post

BenjaminHare wrote:
    If not for the provided link I would swear this was a made-up story. The media actually printing a positive angle on the use of deadly force? Mayhap pigs will soon begin flying . . .
    Nono, it's just because the shooter is a figure of authoritah. It's just like how the newspapers will sing the praises of the cop who shot a guy 35 times because he tried to run away with a few grams of coke in his pocket.