• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC @ 18?

lynxstrife

imported post

Ok im a Tucson,Arizona native been here my whole life. I am trying to help a friend out and well my own personal knowedge. Your website says OC @ 18, and well its the only one i could find on the web that states that a 18 year old can open carry.

I cant find any other legal documentaion that says its ok for a 18 year old too open carry a handgun. One could argue the OC long gun at 18 since they are allowed too buy them.

Some help would be more then welcomed..

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

lynxstrife wrote:
Ok im a Tucson,Arizona native been here my whole life. I am trying to help a friend out and well my own personal knowedge. Your website says OC @ 18, and well its the only one i could find on the web that states that a 18 year old can open carry.

I cant find any other legal documentaion that says its ok for a 18 year old too open carry a handgun. One could argue the OC long gun at 18 since they are allowed too buy them.

This should be more than enough. Yes, your friend can OC their weapon.

Arizona Gun Laws
spacer_dark_grey.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

spacer.gif
What are the Gun Possession/Carry Laws in Arizona?
The first thing you should note is that Arizona laws do not cover only guns, but all "weapons" in general, so the rules given here should apply toany weapon that is not illegal in and of itself (such as nunchaku).

Arizona has some of the loosest weapon restriction laws in the nation. Many things thatare allowed in this state would get you arrested anywhere else. Because the penalties for weapons possession can be extremely severe, and differ drastically from state to state, keep in mind that the following rules apply only to the state of Arizona.
Open Carry RuleArizona is an "open carry" state, which means that anyone can legally carry any (legal) weapon in the open, without any permits, as long as the weapon is:
  • Kept in a holster or scabbard
  • At least partially visible on your person, or;
  • Kept in a container or the glover compartment of a vehicle (still must be holstered, however)
This means that it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded handgun or revolver on a belt holster, out in the open, while you walk down the street, and no special permits are required. You CANNOT, however, unholster that weapon without a very good reason, nor can you walk around holding a gun in your hand or tucked into your pants. You must have a bona fide holster or case to keep it in, and both the gun AND holster must be openly visible.

However, the cases do not have to be locked, unlike most states, nor even capable of locking.

Concealed Carry PermitsKnown as "CCW's,"concealed carrypermits allow anyone to carry a weapon on their person out of sight. They are available to anyone who meets the state of Arizona's (rather lax) criteria:
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Have no felony convictions
  • Be in the country legally
  • Pass an Department of Public Safety approved firearm safety course (can be done in most community colleges)
It is important to note that Arizona does not distinguish between resident and non-resident, or indeed even between U.S. citizen and permanent resident. The only requirement is that you are NOT an illegal alien; any other person is eligible for a concealed carry permit. Also, the safety course, (8 hours long with a 2 hour renewal course every 5 years) MUST be taken within Arizona, regardless of whether you are a resident or not.

Pocket knives may be carried out of sight without a permit but the Attorney General's opinion is that this only includes pocket knives with blades that do not exceed four inches in length. Arizona statutes do not address the issue of switchblades but it is likely that the concealed carrying of any switchblade with a blade longer than four inches would also require a concealed weapon permit

Note that without such permits, carrying such weapons concealed is a serious crime.
ExceptionsEven in Arizona, there are some places where no guns are allowed, permit or not.All firearms are prohibited in the following places:
  • Any establishment that serves alcohol (must serve, rather than just sell)
  • Any public event where the operator requests you relinquish your arms (must provide on-site storage if such a request is made)
  • The grounds of all public schools, state universities, or community colleges
  • Polling places (on election day only)
  • Correctional facilities (including parking lots)
  • Game refuges (except during authorizing hunting trips)
Must I Inform Police of My Weapon?Strictly as a matter of law, no, you are not required to disclose the fact that you are armed to anyone, even police, unless they directlyask you. However, common sense may dictate otherwise, and most gun enthusiasts would recommend you alert the officer to your weapon immediately, to prevent any dangerous misunderstandings.

EDIT: I am not an AZ resident, therefore I cannot fully say this is up to date, but it seems to be. Be a good friend and tell your buddy to also verify this information for himself, from a trusted source/state code.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

lynxstrife wrote:

You won't, it will only tell you what is illegal...