• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal age to purchase pistol primers/accessories?

akhunter3

imported post

Hey guys,

I was at Sportsmans Warehouse here in Anchorage the other day, and the lady at the counter told me she thought you had to be 21 to purchase any type of pistol primers/powder.

Anyone know if this is correct? Do you have to be 21 to purchase extra magazines and the like as well?? I was under the impression the only things you couldn't buy were loaded ammunition and the physical handgun itself.

P.S. Live in Alaska. don't know if that makes any difference. I am aware of no local laws about this, it would have to do with federal laws?

Thanks,

Jon

imperialism2024

imported post

Laws regarding purchasing "pistol" ammunition are unenforcable. I'm 20 years old and buy .44 magnum ammunition. This round is a rifle round in my book, but just happens to fit my pistol. What rounds are you looking for? There are many 9mm rifles. I haven't seen any .38 rifles, but I'm sure there are a few. If you happen to have a pistol that fires a rifle round, it can't be proven legally that it's anything other than a coincidence.

On the other hand, I've fired a .30-30 pistol. Does that mean that .30-30 ammo should be restricted under "pistol" ammo?

"Void for vagueness" seems applicable here.

Usually the restriction is store policy, though.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

A .357 lever gun will also shoot .38's. I had the same problem when I was 19. I had a .357 lever gun, and had a hard time buying ammo at the local big box stores. Took it to the local gun shop/range and they sold me all the ammo I wanted. Worked for me. Also had a friend pick me up some. One store wanted a statement that it was for a rifle.

Funny thing was I had a .22 H&R revolver, and I bought plenty of .22 for that....

akhunter3

imported post

I am looking for 10 mm and .45 acp. As I said though, they were giving me a hard time on the purchase of primers/powder. I didn't think this mattered.

As you said, they could be used for rifles. I don't see why this would be restricted, may be company policy??

Might just have to go check out a few of the smaller stores, even if the prices are much more $$$$

Jon

sv_libertarian

State Researcher

imperialism2024

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
This may help
http://www.info-central.org/regulatory/orangebook/qanda.html

smokeless powder is listed as an explosive by the ATF http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/listofexp.htm

So it seems it is a federal law that dealers in explosives cannot sell them to a person under 21.

Of course IANAL and may very well have missed something here. I googled "Smokeless powder under 21" and variants of that theme.

My jug of smokeless powder says on it "Smokeless powder for small arms is not an explosive regulated by Federal Explosive Law, but may explode if misused."

Maybe the info you were looking at refers to smokeless powder in bulk?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Could be. I just googled "smokeless powder under 21" and this is what I dug up. I have no idea what the laws on buying this stuff are in regards to age...

akhunter3

imported post

Thanks guys,

I emailed the store and found it was company policy. He did not say if it was federal law or not,and to my knowledge it is not considered a explosive by the feds, though they did try to pass some legislation to that effect a few months ago.

Will go talk to the guys down at the local gunshop. Theyshouldknow I wouldhope;

Thanks again guys,

Jon

imperialism2024

imported post

akhunter3 wrote:
Thanks guys,

I emailed the store and found it was company policy. He did not say if it was federal law or not,and to my knowledge it is not considered a explosive by the feds, though they did try to pass some legislation to that effect a few months ago.

Will go talk to the guys down at the local gunshop. Theyshouldknow I wouldhope;

Thanks again guys,

Jon
Well, if it's legal for you to puchase it... then my advice would be to not advertise that you're under 21, and just proceed to purchase your supplies. If you get carded, feign ignorance.

The only "pistol"-related accessory that is illegal for someone aged 18-20 to purchase is the pistol itself. If a company choose not to enforce it's policies regarding the other items, it's not your job to inform them. Unless you want to be a martyr...