Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Just the title, I hope everyone on OCDO has a happy safe Thanksgiving. I am thankful for my family, friends and the freedoms I can enjoy in what is the best country to be from ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o5L9jiIfbY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzRmwNwKVw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTMWt205YB4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnV6DkjRQqs

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Thanks for the Thanksgiving Wish as we head into this Season for counting our innumerable Blessings. Thanksgiving is a good time for adding-up our secular blessings of the year past, our, harvest', and Christmas should make our sacred blessings obvious.

Post imported post

I hope that we can all celebrate in what, to me anyway,is the real spirit of thanksgiving, and that is that no matter our culture, race, or creed, we are all Americans, and we all get to enjoy the freedoms that come with living in the greatest country in history.

Post imported post

The *real* first thanksgiving.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"
    Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.
    And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.
    Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

"George Washington"

And may we be thankful to God for all He does for us. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Post imported post

Happy Thanksgiving all, may your holiday be safe and enjoyable.

Post imported post

gregma wrote:
    The *real* first thanksgiving.
    I was worried you were about to rant about how the first Thanksgiving was really in St. Augustine, FL about 50 years earlier. (this according to the front page of section D of the USA Today) This kind of crap pisses me off. What, they're going after Thanksgiving now, trying to ruin that to? Can't we just leave ONE holiday alone and let us celebrate it as it should be without someone or a group trying to guilt trip us. I guess that's not as bad as the school district in the Seattle area thattold their teachers to explain to the classes to be understanding because "thanksgiving is a time of mourning for many native Americans..." Geez, my head is just going to explode one of these days. The insanity of some people in our country is horrible.

Post imported post

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I'll get little pleasure over the holidays this year. Maybe by my birthday at the end of winter, I'll be in a position to celebrate anything. Thanks for the kind thought anyway.

-ljp

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

dngreer,

Have to agree with you...I thought the same thing!

But here in El Paso, TX, some people promote the "first real Thanksgiving" as beingdone in 1598 by Juan de Onate (noted Southwestern Spanish Conquistador/explorer/enthusiastic Indian-killer). It's disgraceful.

Happy REAL Thanksgiving to all...

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    Happy REAL Thanksgiving to all...
    Same to you, and Happy Thanksgiving to all (except to any native Americans, who are supposedly "mourning"...I don't want to offend anyone). So stuff yourself with turkey and pumpkin pie, watch football, and take a long nap; but don't forget to be thankful....you know.... because it's THANKSgiving...

Post imported post

BTW, does anyone else take advantage of the time off the waste some perfectly good ammo? I can't think of a better way to show I'm thankful for my 2nd amendment rights than shooting some target practice.

Post imported post

Good idea, Dngreer! Now, if I can just get the wife to go along with it.............

Yeah, right! Got 12 inbound for T-giving. 6 due in tonight, other 6 tomorrow. Add my four and the dog, and we gonna have a HOUSEFULL!

Y'all have a great time on Thanksgiving!

Blessings,

Mike

State Researcher

Post imported post

Happy thanksgiving all! (Real, unreal, pilgrim version, spanish explorer version, Abe Lincoln version, PC version, liberal version, non PC version, etc...) Whatever you want to celebrate! Personally I don't need a special day to remind me, but am all for it if anyone else does. May go downtown Oly and OC around for a while, haven't had much chance of late.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Happy Thanksgiving to the rest of you as well. Anyone having "Turducken"?

I am thankful for the girl in my avatar, well maybe not "her" all of the time, but at least the parts that are showing!

Post imported post

Happy Thanksgiving to all at OCDO. May you and your families have a fine celebration of life, liberty and family today.

HankT

State Researcher

Post imported post

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you here at OCDO. Have a safe and happy holiday season.

Post imported post

openryan wrote:
    Happy Thanksgiving to the rest of you as well. Anyone having "Turducken"?

I am thankful for the girl in my avatar, well maybe not "her" all of the time, but at least the parts that are showing!
    Dang, I've been meaning to try a turducken... Perhaps I'll give thanks to my tub of ammo later on... Happy Thanksgiving all!

Post imported post

After living in three states and four houses in a year. I am glad that I have finally settled down in the freedom loving land of Virginia.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
    After living in three states and four houses in a year. I am glad that I have finally settled down in the freedom loving land of Virginia.
    A big hearty welcome to Virginia and OCDO!

Since you indicate the love of freedom, check out VCDL and at the very least sign up for the newsletter (Va-Alerts)
    http://www.vcdl.org/
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Double post
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

OT

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

vermonter wrote:
    Welcome to the Virginia Open Carry Board. Seems to be dominated by Virginian's who are constantly....... Continue rant.....
    I'm gonna get my pee pee slapped by Longwatch, but you my friend, are an IDIOT.

Stay in Vermont.

Post imported post

vermonter wrote:
    Welcome to the Virginia Open Carry Board. Seems to be dominated by Virginian's who are constantly debating and fighting the police opression that IS ingrained in Virginia Police Officer's southern mentality. Here in Vermont we have TOTAL freedom.............etc, etc, etc.
    Well I guess if we aren't from Vermont or Alaska we do not count!

Virginia is a not without problems re the 2nd Amend. but we are working hard and making progress. Please give us credit and save your irritation for N.Y., N.J., De. and like states. Okay?

Yata hey

Post imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
    vermonter wrote:
    Welcome to the Virginia Open Carry Board. Seems to be dominated by Virginian's who are constantly....... Continue rant.....
    I'm gonna get my pee pee slapped by Longwatch, but you my friend, are an IDIOT.

Stay in Vermont.
    Vermonter,
    The Reverendmay seem a little harsh here, perhaps, but please consider this:

Having, in a sense, "re-discovered" OC, the Virginians are agressively guarding this right with great tenacity, and this is commendable.

Here in KY, it seems that there has usually been enough OC going on for it to still be a comparative non event, and for this we are grateful.

Eventually, I am confident that a few punitive lawsuits will convince the powers that be in VA that harrassing OCers is an unhealthy practice!

I have occasionally tormented the gentleman of the Old Dominion myself, about their one gun a month deal, D grade from the Brady Bunch,(KY glories in its F!), concealed hangun licence rather than concealed ANYTHING licence, but they are an inspiration to us all, I believe. The VCDL has shown us all the way to go!

Congratulations to you, Vermonter, your Home State would be my first choice should I ever relocate, but, although you have the beautiful ladies, you do not have the fast horses!

For my part, I give thanks this day for my Southron lady wife,and for the home brewed Kentucks whose mindset and pedigrees are very similar to my own!

Sermon over!

TrueBrit.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

All it takes is one dork to ruin a nice thread. Well I hope everyone had a nice thanksgiving.

Post imported post

Thanks be to everyone for supporting our rights and liberties.
    Hope that your Thanksgiving was as bountiful as mine.

Fratres in armis.

Yata hey