• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Happy Thanksgiving

expvideo

imported post

I hope that we can all celebrate in what, to me anyway,is the real spirit of thanksgiving, and that is that no matter our culture, race, or creed, we are all Americans, and we all get to enjoy the freedoms that come with living in the greatest country in history.

gregma

imported post

The *real* first thanksgiving.

[size="+2"]W[/size]hereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"
Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.
And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.
Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.

"George Washington"

And may we be thankful to God for all He does for us. Happy Thanksgiving all!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

gregma wrote:
The *real* first thanksgiving.
I was worried you were about to rant about how the first Thanksgiving was really in St. Augustine, FL about 50 years earlier. (this according to the front page of section D of the USA Today) This kind of crap pisses me off. What, they're going after Thanksgiving now, trying to ruin that to? Can't we just leave ONE holiday alone and let us celebrate it as it should be without someone or a group trying to guilt trip us. I guess that's not as bad as the school district in the Seattle area thattold their teachers to explain to the classes to be understanding because "thanksgiving is a time of mourning for many native Americans..." Geez, my head is just going to explode one of these days. The insanity of some people in our country is horrible.

Legba

imported post

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but I'll get little pleasure over the holidays this year. Maybe by my birthday at the end of winter, I'll be in a position to celebrate anything. Thanks for the kind thought anyway.

-ljp

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

dngreer,

Have to agree with you...I thought the same thing!

But here in El Paso, TX, some people promote the "first real Thanksgiving" as beingdone in 1598 by Juan de Onate (noted Southwestern Spanish Conquistador/explorer/enthusiastic Indian-killer). It's disgraceful.

Happy REAL Thanksgiving to all...

-- John D.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Happy REAL Thanksgiving to all...
Same to you, and Happy Thanksgiving to all (except to any native Americans, who are supposedly "mourning"...I don't want to offend anyone). So stuff yourself with turkey and pumpkin pie, watch football, and take a long nap; but don't forget to be thankful....you know.... because it's THANKSgiving...:D

dng

State Researcher
imported post

BTW, does anyone else take advantage of the time off the waste some perfectly good ammo? I can't think of a better way to show I'm thankful for my 2nd amendment rights than shooting some target practice.

OBXMIKE

imported post

Good idea, Dngreer! Now, if I can just get the wife to go along with it.............

Yeah, right! Got 12 inbound for T-giving. 6 due in tonight, other 6 tomorrow. Add my four and the dog, and we gonna have a HOUSEFULL!

:cuss::banghead:

Y'all have a great time on Thanksgiving!

Blessings,

Mike

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Happy thanksgiving all! (Real, unreal, pilgrim version, spanish explorer version, Abe Lincoln version, PC version, liberal version, non PC version, etc...) Whatever you want to celebrate! Personally I don't need a special day to remind me, but am all for it if anyone else does. May go downtown Oly and OC around for a while, haven't had much chance of late.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Happy Thanksgiving to the rest of you as well. Anyone having "Turducken"?

I am thankful for the girl in my avatar, well maybe not "her" all of the time, but at least the parts that are showing!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Happy Thanksgiving to all at OCDO. May you and your families have a fine celebration of life, liberty and family today.

HankT

imperialism2024

imported post

openryan wrote:
Happy Thanksgiving to the rest of you as well. Anyone having "Turducken"?

I am thankful for the girl in my avatar, well maybe not "her" all of the time, but at least the parts that are showing!
Dang, I've been meaning to try a turducken... Perhaps I'll give thanks to my tub of ammo later on... Happy Thanksgiving all!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

samdavisrises wrote:
After living in three states and four houses in a year. I am glad that I have finally settled down in the freedom loving land of Virginia.
A big hearty welcome to Virginia and OCDO!

Since you indicate the love of freedom, check out VCDL and at the very least sign up for the newsletter (Va-Alerts)
http://www.vcdl.org/
Yata hey