• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chalk One Up for the Good Guys....

zoom6zoom

imported post

An officer informed me the man had just carjacked someone a short while earlier and I just prevented myself from becoming another victim.
Somebody want to explain this to Mayor Adrian Fenty? I really don't know why it's so hard to understand.

Neplusultra

imported post

HankT wrote:
It's all in here:

Incident at Lynnhaven Mall on Saturday

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/1354.html

This incident is an exemplar of what not to do while carrying a gun in public in VA... he did everything wrong.

Everything.

OK, OK, he didn't shoot her....
I'm not so sure. If someone is menacing you I don't think revealing your gun can be considered menacing too as long as they initiated it. Is there any code or case law that anyone knows of?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
HankT wrote:
It's all in here:

This incident is an exemplar of what not to do while carrying a gun in public in VA... he did everything wrong.

Everything.

I'm not so sure. If someone is menacing you I don't think revealing your gun can be considered menacing too as long as they initiated it. Is there any code or case law that anyone knows of?

Are you kidding? It was a woman!

A girl, really.

A small girl.

</shakes head>

Neplusultra

imported post

HankT wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
HankT wrote:
It's all in here:

Everything.

A girl, really.

A small girl.

</shakes head>
Why Hank you sexist :^)! IIRC it was a very aggressive black girl and her friend. I don't really recollect her size but I assumed she was large enough to cause him concern. She got even more aggressive when he revealed his gun. Can't remember if she was assaulting/making contact with him or not.

So lets say it was a man doing the same. Would the situation be different? Would it have been lawful for him to reveal? Say it was a big black man, Danbus without the gun :^).

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
HankT wrote:

A girl, really.

A small girl.

</shakes head>
Why Hank you sexist :^)! IIRC it was a very aggressive black girl and her friend. I don't really recollect her size but I assumed she was large enough to cause him concern. She got even more aggressive when he revealed his gun. Can't remember if she was assaulting/making contact with him or not.

Nah.

It's all in the thread. It's easy to read.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

HankT wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
HankT wrote:

A girl, really.

A small girl.

</shakes head>

Nah.

It's all in the thread. It's easy to read.

Lets all discuss that situation in that thread please.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Armed for safety
November 21, 2007

I have seen many good letters to the Daily Press regarding gun control. I have to share an experience that may change the minds of naysayers.

On a recent evening after dark I was in the driveway placing license plates on my wife's vehicle when a young male approached me. Due to his demeanor I was intimidated somewhat. He became much more aggressive, demanding a cell phone, and I told him I did not have a phone and stood up. When he spotted my Glock .40 pistol in a holster on my right hip, he mumbled something and started to leave very quickly.

After I called the Hampton Police, he was captured two blocks away after a short chase. An officer informed me the man had just carjacked someone a short while earlier and I just prevented myself from becoming another victim.

More and more responsible citizens are arming themselves for protection. It appears to be putting a dent in the plans of would-be robbers.

People should not be afraid of the person who is properly carrying a handgun; they need to be defensive against the individuals who use them in the wrong manner. I will not be a victim.

Doug Hall [/i]

Hampton [/i]

I just gotta throw this in there cause I know there are some OC opponents still lurking around OCDO......So how exactly would CC have changed the outcome of this situation:lol::what:

I know that I have Prevented potential threat and crime but OCing.

In the state of Utah going from CC to OC in a situation like this one I don't think would have been good. Although we don't "brandishing" term in our Law here is a code that IS pretty clear...

Utah Code Section 76-10-506

[size=-1]76-10-506. Threatening with or using dangerous weapon in fight or quarrel. Every person, except those persons described in Section 76-10-503, who, ...
le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C036.htm - 2k - Cached - Similar pages[/size]

76-10-506. Threatening with or using dangerous weapon in fight or quarrel.
Every person, except those persons described in Section 76-10-503, who, not in necessary self defense in the presence of two or more persons, draws or exhibits any dangerous weapon in an angry and threatening manner or unlawfully uses the same in any fight or quarrel is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

Amended by Chapter 101, 1992 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_0C036.ZIP 1,808 Bytes

[line]

Sections in this Chapter|Chapters in this Title|All Titles|Legislative Home Page

Last revised: Thursday, July 19, 2007
That's why I believe that you should OC as much as possible. When you CC...pull to shot.

Just my .44

kparker

imported post

It seems to me that "not in necessary self defense" is all the justification you need for that fact that you did need to display your firearm (if indeed it was in a genuine self-defense situation.)