Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Dual carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    Well i asked this along time ago on TFL, and didnt get a discussion going, so ill ask here. Anyone carry 2 full sized or medium sized pistols on there belt? Im not talking about a small bug in a ankle holster, im talking 2 full/medium sized guns on there belt.

    I did one time, and managed to conceal it decently, tho it makes buckling the seat belt difficult.

    I can definatly see the benefets of dual carry, and the obvious disadvantages.

    so how bout it, anyone doin it.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Arizona, USA
    Posts
    30

    Post imported post

    okay, i'll bite.

    dual carry oc / cc - okay. dual carry both cc - okay. dual carry - both oc? isn't that a bit of overkill ?

    how would you carry - both one one side? awkward and too heavy. one on each side - are you an equally good shot with both hands? or would you use a cross draw on your weak side?

    would you carry at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions; or both sob - maybe 5:30 and 6:30?

    in a situation would you pull both or one at a time? when one is empty would you drop it and pull the other or re-load the first?

    most important - would there be room for your cell phone, pager, flashlight, spare mag pouches, key ring, etc.

    would both guns be the same and load the same mags?

    personally i either oc or cc depending upon circumstances - with my one firearm (and spare mag)

    i think that i might be thinking about this way too much and really need to refocus on other things.

    such as - its almost 5:00 in AZ :celebrate

    papasmee



  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Cincy area, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    891

    Post imported post

    Did it with two .40 BHPs this summer afew times, both OC and CC, for two purposes:

    1) Experimentation. If one carries the two guns, spare ammo, and maybe a knife on the belt, not to mention other EDC accoutrements, well that's a lotta gear.

    2) Celebration of (Democrat) Governor Ted Strickland coming to our Ohioans For Concealed Carry Picnic and speaking. We never got either of his two (Republican) predecessors to come visit with us. Spent most but not all of the day in CC mode, couldn't resist some OC though.

    I carried one at 4 o'clock for RH draw, the other at 8 o'clock fro LH draw. My background in Cowboy Action shooting--and a bunch of practice through the years--have enabled me to do apassable job from the weak side. Not a bad trick to have up one's sleeve--never know when you may injure your strong hand/arm.


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Just to play devils advocate (and to get a little info), how would you go about protecting both guns in the unlikely event of a grab attempt? I know I can keep track of the one I carry, but, if both hands are tied up with hanging on to a gun, I don't see how I will be very able to defend myself effectively.

  5. #5
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Mordis wrote:

    I can definatly see the benefets of dual carry...
    What are the benefits?


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here and There, Washington, USA
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    A full size BUG is not a big deal. Having it on you weak side, for weak side draw is fine too. You never know when someone or something will interfere with your strong side.

    As far as protecting from a grab atempt, you just use the one hand, while your other draws and aims it's own gun.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    Double the pleasure, double the fun?
    I get concerned when someone starts talking about carrying being fun. I carry for self defense and do not consider it fun at all. I can see how in some cases it may be but I really wish that no one had to carry a gun around. I see some of the posts on here that certain people talk about their open carry expliots like they were 12 year olds discussing the naughtyness of seeing the latest playboy magazine. The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

    This is not a post against carrying at all but about what is your reason for carrying. If it is just to make you feel like you are getting away with something naughty then you need to re-examine your life. It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.

  8. #8
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    Double the pleasure, double the fun?
    I get concerned when someone starts talking about carrying being fun. I carry for self defense and do not consider it fun at all. I can see how in some cases it may be but I really wish that no one had to carry a gun around. I see some of the posts on here that certain people talk about their open carry expliots like they were 12 year olds discussing the naughtyness of seeing the latest playboy magazine. The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

    This is not a post against carrying at all but about what is your reason for carrying. If it is just to make you feel like you are getting away with something naughty then you need to re-examine your life. It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.

    He's a newbie to OC. Kinda scattered as to what it's all about.



    Mordis wrote:
    ...
    I think i also stated that i do belive in oc, but i thought i pointed out I was nervous about it due to the fact that sure, its not illegal to oc, but the could still hit you with disturbing the peace, and creating a public nuasance if they felt the urge to do so.

    ...

    I practice alot more them most of the police offficers i know, including my uncle who is a 26 year vet, he and most of his colleges(spelling?) only practice enough to qualify. I practice at minimum of 2hours plus twice month, most of the time at least once a week. In that time, i practice my basics, my concealment draw, drawing and firing on the move, instinctive shooting, and front site only shooting. At home i am constantly dryfiring and drawing my unloaded pistol every convienient oppurtunity I get. I do not have the cash to attend gunsite or TDI or the like, so i must make due. I feel i am doing my best to reasonably protect my self. There is no need for the rudeness you are feeding me. '

    ....

    While i whish i could strap both my full size guns on and oc to my hearts content, that senator represents the will of the majority, and that veiw he expresses is most likely the veiws of those he represents. So you must understand were i am coming form.
    Compensation comes to mind.

    Bad indicators...


  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    251

    Post imported post

    FogRider wrote:
    Just to play devils advocate (and to get a little info), how would you go about protecting both guns in the unlikely event of a grab attempt? I know I can keep track of the one I carry, but, if both hands are tied up with hanging on to a gun, I don't see how I will be very able to defend myself effectively.

    Wear them at angles where both can't be grabbed by a person at the same time. So, 4 o'clock and 11 o'clock.

    And then, since you're carrying a second gun, if anyone ever attempts to grab your first gun, you draw the second gun and shoot them with it, while tickling them away from the first gun.

  10. #10
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    nickerj1 wrote:
    FogRider wrote:
    Just to play devils advocate (and to get a little info), how would you go about protecting both guns in the unlikely event of a grab attempt? I know I can keep track of the one I carry, but, if both hands are tied up with hanging on to a gun, I don't see how I will be very able to defend myself effectively.

    Wear them at angles where both can't be grabbed by a person at the same time...
    And don't get on any crowded elevators......



    nickerj1 wrote:
    And then, since you're carrying a second gun, if anyone ever attempts to grab your first gun, you draw the second gun and shoot them with it, while tickling them away from the first gun.
    It would be interesting if the two-gun OC guy werebeing approached in a public place by asmallbunch of thugs/youths who were attracted bythe phenomenon of a non-LEO with two (count 'em, two) handguns.

    Hey mistah! WhyU got two guns? Gonna shootda place up? Hey mistah!

    Maybesome adventuous in thegroup could start to heckle the, what to themwould be a provocoteur, and yuk it up... to the distress, presumbably,of the two-gun guy.

    Maybeone of the toughies could make a stab at agun snatch...or maybe two at at the same time....hey, justget ONE guy and get ....TWO guns..... kind of attractive to some of the criminally-minded...





  11. #11
    Regular Member possumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,090

    Post imported post

    I do it at least once a week on the way to and from the range. That way, everything I need fits in one bag to carry.

    If I stop somewhere to or from there, I don't leave one in the car, and I haven't in the past made an effort to conceal.

    "Dual" OC is not an everyday occurance for me though.

  12. #12
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    nickerj1 wrote:
    FogRider wrote:
    Just to play devils advocate (and to get a little info), how would you go about protecting both guns in the unlikely event of a grab attempt? I know I can keep track of the one I carry, but, if both hands are tied up with hanging on to a gun, I don't see how I will be very able to defend myself effectively.

    Wear them at angles where both can't be grabbed by a person at the same time...
    And don't get on any crowded elevators......



    nickerj1 wrote:
    And then, since you're carrying a second gun, if anyone ever attempts to grab your first gun, you draw the second gun and shoot them with it, while tickling them away from the first gun.
    It would be interesting if the two-gun OC guy werebeing approached in a public place by asmallbunch of thugs/youths who were attracted bythe phenomenon of a non-LEO with two (count 'em, two) handguns.

    Hey mistah! WhyU got two guns? Gonna shootda place up? Hey mistah!

    Maybesome adventuous in thegroup could start to heckle the, what to themwould be a provocoteur, and yuk it up... to the distress, presumbably,of the two-gun guy.

    Maybeone of the toughies could make a stab at agun snatch...or maybe two at at the same time....hey, justget ONE guy and get ....TWO guns..... kind of attractive to some of the criminally-minded...



    Hank, you do have one heck of an imagination. Maybe the two guns were actually decoy guns. Maybe they were covered in super glue and connected to tasers that would zap the gun-grabber and all of his friends until he let go - but he couldn't let go because he was glued to the gun - and soon they all had curly hair and smoke coming out of their ears. Maybe the gun owner had to walk home with a chain of twitching toughies tagging along behind him.

    You can "maybe" all day but if I want to carry two guns or twenty guns I will.

    LoveMyCountry

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    I've been thinking about this off and on since I first saw the topic posted. I even tried it out in my house just to see what it would be like. The first thing that popped into my head upon reading the OP was, Why would you do that? Last week I was at the gun shop and they were talking about a guy who usually carries 2-3 med/full size pistols and 2 bugs, which came to mind also.

    I have concluded that unless you must go into a specific high threat environment (and I can't off the top of my head imagine what that situation would be in real life for a civilian), it seems to me that carrying more than 1 med/large frame pistol and a bug on a regular basis is just plain overkill. More likely to freak out the public if OC and more likely to be uncomfortable for you regardless of how you carry. The whole concept reminds me of the old joke about the guy who is so conservative that he wears suspenders and a belt at the same time. I would rather carry a 3rd mag than a 2nd med/large frame gun. That would be 50 rds of .45 JHP and if I can't solve my problem with that much ammo, I don't need more ammo or another pistol, I need SWAT and/or more training.

    But in the final analysis, if you want to walk around loaded out like the Outlaw Jose Wales, that is your right and more power to you. Just don't be surprised when people, including LEO and fellow OCers, react suspiciously.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  14. #14
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    You can "maybe" all day but if I want to carry two guns or twenty guns I will.
    Sure thing. I understand. It looks sooooooo cool. Andpracticing is sooooooo coooool tooooooo....





  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    Double the pleasure, double the fun?
    I get concerned when someone starts talking about carrying being fun. I carry for self defense and do not consider it fun at all. I can see how in some cases it may be but I really wish that no one had to carry a gun around. I see some of the posts on here that certain people talk about their open carry expliots like they were 12 year olds discussing the naughtyness of seeing the latest playboy magazine. The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

    This is not a post against carrying at all but about what is your reason for carrying. If it is just to make you feel like you are getting away with something naughty then you need to re-examine your life. It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.
    Pt111, I wrote that as a fun little comment to help get the discussion going. When i carry i am serious about it. Why get hung up on something that was ment in good humor.. One more person to watch out for on this forum i guess..

    Now, i dont dual carry very much. The only times i do, are when im on my way to the range, or at my father inlaws, who also has a out door range. Normaly i only carry 1. either my m15-3 or my g17 that i used to own(tho i now have a springfield milspec). It just is more convieniant to dual carry at the range.

    Tho for civilians i dont see the need, but for cops and security officers in high threat areas/assignments I think they can be a life saver. Perhaps, your primary at the strongside, and the secondary worn weakside but for strong side crossdraw.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    Well, i have done some reading through my library of magazines, and found a article about a tatoo shop owner that was involved in a shooting. He said that he normaly carries dual .380 bersas, but at the time he had his .38spc. That is just one example.

    I truly think that discreet concealed dual carry happens more often then any of the detracters here think. If it didnt, all the companies that sell dual holster belly bands(galco to name one) wouldnt be offering them in the first place.

    Maybe carrying 2 full sized guns is a bit over kill, but i think that to small framed guns would be perfectly acceptable. Much faster to get back into the fight, by grabbing the second small gun.

  17. #17
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Retention?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kent county, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    322

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    Double the pleasure, double the fun?
    I get concerned when someone starts talking about carrying being fun. I carry for self defense and do not consider it fun at all. I can see how in some cases it may be but I really wish that no one had to carry a gun around. I see some of the posts on here that certain people talk about their open carry expliots like they were 12 year olds discussing the naughtyness of seeing the latest playboy magazine. The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

    This is not a post against carrying at all but about what is your reason for carrying. If it is just to make you feel like you are getting away with something naughty then you need to re-examine your life. It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.

    IMO fun = enjoyment of an experience. A "naughty thrill" may be fun, but it does not stand to reason that all fun is a "naughty thrill"

    I enjoy carrying a gun. I enjoy shooting a gun. I even enjoy cleaning a gun. I enjoy telling people they have rights they didn’t know about. I have fun doing these things!

    I carry my gun for self-defense and the defense of those I’m responsible for. Sometimes I carry to hunt or target shoot. Actually guns are a very small part of my life. I carry 100% of the time when I leave my property. Sometimes I have to leave it in the car, when to carry would be in violation of the law. This is not a contradiction; wearing a gun is an everyday occurrence like wearing my pants, I do it all the time but it’s not a big part of my life.

    The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

    The second part of this statement is wrong. Driving a automobile is an even bigger responsibility than carrying a gun in a holster. IMO the only way to compare driving a car to carrying a gun would have you carrying with your gun: loaded, cocked, safety off, finger on the trigger, and muzzle sweeping everyone and everything around you. (and for some, while putting on makeup or talking on a phone)

    It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.
    No one can take away your rights. Society may be able to deny you the ability to exercise your right, but as they did not give them to you then they can not take them away.


  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    128

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    Retention?
    thats definatly a concern with traditional owb holsters. but i think that a dual holster belly band under the shirt maybe a great way to carry 2 small framed/medium framed guns securly. They would still be concealed, and they would be under your arms and not at all that hard to prevent a grab.(at least in my view anyways.YMMV)

  20. #20
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    LoveMyCountry wrote:
    Hank, you do have one heck of an imagination. Maybe the two guns were actually decoy guns. Maybe they were covered in super glue and connected to tasers that would zap the gun-grabber and all of his friends until he let go - but he couldn't let go because he was glued to the gun - and soon they all had curly hair and smoke coming out of their ears. Maybe the gun owner had to walk home with a chain of twitching toughies tagging along behind him.

    You can "maybe" all day but if I want to carry two guns or twenty guns I will.

    LoveMyCountry
    Please stop; my sides are hurting from laughing. That's funny!

  21. #21
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    Mordis wrote:
    openryan wrote:
    Retention?
    thats definatly a concern with traditional owb holsters. but i think that a dual holster belly band under the shirt maybe a great way to carry 2 small framed/medium framed guns securly. They would still be concealed, and they would be under your arms and not at all that hard to prevent a grab.(at least in my view anyways.YMMV)
    Yes, thats what I am saying. I certainly wouldn't OC two sidearms, in passive retention holsters, even with active retention holsters it could become a problem, as it would be hard to defend an attack where someone was wanting to disarm you.

    Personally I would only OC one weapon, and a BUG would be concealed...

    But thats just me, obviously people can do what they like


  22. #22
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279

    Post imported post

    I carry a Springfield Champion .45 at 5 o'clock in an OWB with dual mags at 7 o'clock, and a Taurus M85 titanium .38 in my front left pocket.

    Retention is easy. I shoot anyone who tries to grab my .45 with my .38.

    If they go for my .38 first, she better be pretty or else.



    As for benefits:

    I have seen several videos of cops being assaulted with deadly force, and after missing with their first round........the gun jams!

    I have also seen numerous videos of would be murderers firing shots at people, then fleeing because, guess what.....their gun jammed!

    I'm not relying on luck. The odds of both guns jamming are a little less. Plus, it helps to battle the retention issue. If you only have one gun, WHOEVER GETS IT, WINS!

    Two guns....fight isn't over yet.


  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    Nothing in life is 100%. Most all of us, if not all of us, carry to be sure that we get home safely at night. We carry what we think we need to be able to do so. I usually carry a .45 rather than my 9mm because of the slight ballistics edge. So like everyone else I'm hedging my bets.

    That being said, while I don't have reservations about someone dual carrying I'm just not seeing that for most people it is giving you much. Sort of like buying one extra lottery ticket to improve your odds. Sure it does improve them, but at a mathematical insignificant level. Here's where I am coming from:
    Most civilian involved gun fights last 3-15 seconds depending on who's stats you read. What is the likelihood that in that 3-15 seconds of panic you are going to realize you have a jam, process that mentally, and then pull out a second weapon either with your weak side hand or awkwardly with your strong side hand, bring it down on target and start firing accurately instead of just running like hell are diving behind the biggest anything available? Data apparently shows that LEOs can grab a BUG faster than they can reload their primary weapon. I would think that depends on a lot of factors, but even assuming that is universally true, LEOs get into a lot of situations that we, as civilians, are highly unlikely to ever encounter.

    How small of a percentage of us are ever going to use our pistol for self-defense? And then how many of those pistols are going to jam? If you carry a quality firearm with ammo you have tested through that firearm and KNOW that it feeds reliably, you keep your firearm in good, clean, lubricated condition, you shoot it regularly enough to maintain your skill level and ensure that it is working properly and you rotate out your SD ammo to keep it fresh (all things we each should be doing) what are the odds that pistol will jam on you when you need it?

    I'm guessing that the odds that the average OC/CC citizen living a normal life is going to be in a lethal self-defense situation, draw their firearm, discharge their firearm and then have that firearm jam, is probably worse than winning the lottery. Throw in there the odds of being able to recognize the problem and draw another weapon and continue the self-defense situation, and I bet the odds of that are worse than winning the lottery twice.

    But hey, I usually carry an extra mag primarly in case of a type II due to mag malfunction, so I'm not one to talk. I'm just thinking through this. Maybe one of you is going to say something that is going to convince me to at least carry the extra mag 100% of the time, to carry a BUG or maybe even carry 2 pistols myself.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  24. #24
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    New York Reload. Its faster to draw a second gun than to reload. Not that I carry a second gun or a reload right now. Will carry reload soon, once I get a pouch.



    Oh yeah, and if you ever wanted to dress up like Patton, you're going to need to dual carry.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Felid`Maximus wrote:
    New York Reload. Its faster to draw a second gun than to reload. Not that I carry a second gun or a reload right now. Will carry reload soon, once I get a pouch.
    Most important with revolvers.

    Once I reach the age (9 months left) where Pennsylvania decides that I can purchase a gun, and carry that gun in a car and in the most crime-ridden city in the state, I plan to carry a pair of Ruger Redhawks in cross-draw fashion. My reasons for this?
    -I don't trust non-magnum rounds for stopping (not killing) power. To carry .44 magnum, I generally need a revolver, and there's the pesky 6-round capacity. With two guns, I have an effective 12-round capacity.
    -There's the advantage of being able to draw from either side, and with the draw being equally comfortable from either side.
    -While there's little risk of malfunction with my choice of carry gun, the possibility is still there.
    -Eventually I hope to be able to train myself in engaging two targets at once, though this isn't one of my primary reasons.

    But right now, one of them makes do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •