• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dual carry

Mordis

imported post

Well i asked this along time ago on TFL, and didnt get a discussion going, so ill ask here. Anyone carry 2 full sized or medium sized pistols on there belt? Im not talking about a small bug in a ankle holster, im talking 2 full/medium sized guns on there belt.

I did one time, and managed to conceal it decently, tho it makes buckling the seat belt difficult.

I can definatly see the benefets of dual carry, and the obvious disadvantages.

so how bout it, anyone doin it.

papasmee

imported post

okay, i'll bite.

dual carry oc / cc - okay. dual carry both cc - okay. dual carry - both oc? isn't that a bit of overkill :lol:?

how would you carry - both one one side? awkward and too heavy. one on each side - are you an equally good shot with both hands? or would you use a cross draw on your weak side?

would you carry at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions; or both sob - maybe 5:30 and 6:30?

in a situation would you pull both or one at a time? when one is empty would you drop it and pull the other or re-load the first?

most important - would there be room for your cell phone, pager, flashlight, spare mag pouches, key ring, etc.

would both guns be the same and load the same mags?

personally i either oc or cc depending upon circumstances - with my one firearm (and spare mag)

i think that i might be thinking about this way too much and really need to refocus on other things.

such as - its almost 5:00 in AZ :celebrate

papasmee

Brian D.

imported post

Did it with two .40 BHPs this summer afew times, both OC and CC, for two purposes:

1) Experimentation. If one carries the two guns, spare ammo, and maybe a knife on the belt, not to mention other EDC accoutrements, well that's a lotta gear.

2) Celebration of (Democrat) Governor Ted Strickland coming to our Ohioans For Concealed Carry Picnic and speaking. We never got either of his two (Republican) predecessors to come visit with us. Spent most but not all of the day in CC mode, couldn't resist some OC though.

I carried one at 4 o'clock for RH draw, the other at 8 o'clock fro LH draw. My background in Cowboy Action shooting--and a bunch of practice through the years--have enabled me to do apassable job from the weak side. Not a bad trick to have up one's sleeve--never know when you may injure your strong hand/arm.

FogRider

imported post

Just to play devils advocate (and to get a little info), how would you go about protecting both guns in the unlikely event of a grab attempt? I know I can keep track of the one I carry, but, if both hands are tied up with hanging on to a gun, I don't see how I will be very able to defend myself effectively.

Sitrep

imported post

A full size BUG is not a big deal. Having it on you weak side, for weak side draw is fine too. You never know when someone or something will interfere with your strong side.

As far as protecting from a grab atempt, you just use the one hand, while your other draws and aims it's own gun.

PT111

imported post

Double the pleasure, double the fun?

I get concerned when someone starts talking about carrying being fun. I carry for self defense and do not consider it fun at all. I can see how in some cases it may be but I really wish that no one had to carry a gun around. I see some of the posts on here that certain people talk about their open carry expliots like they were 12 year olds discussing the naughtyness of seeing the latest playboy magazine. The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

This is not a post against carrying at all but about what is your reason for carrying. If it is just to make you feel like you are getting away with something naughty then you need to re-examine your life. It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PT111 wrote:

I get concerned when someone starts talking about carrying being fun. I carry for self defense and do not consider it fun at all. I can see how in some cases it may be but I really wish that no one had to carry a gun around. I see some of the posts on here that certain people talk about their open carry expliots like they were 12 year olds discussing the naughtyness of seeing the latest playboy magazine. The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

This is not a post against carrying at all but about what is your reason for carrying. If it is just to make you feel like you are getting away with something naughty then you need to re-examine your life. It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.

He's a newbie to OC. Kinda scattered as to what it's all about.

Mordis wrote:
I think i also stated that i do belive in oc, but i thought i pointed out I was nervous about it due to the fact that sure, its not illegal to oc, but the could still hit you with disturbing the peace, and creating a public nuasance if they felt the urge to do so.

I practice alot more them most of the police offficers i know, including my uncle who is a 26 year vet, he and most of his colleges(spelling?) only practice enough to qualify. I practice at minimum of 2hours plus twice month, most of the time at least once a week. In that time, i practice my basics, my concealment draw, drawing and firing on the move, instinctive shooting, and front site only shooting. At home i am constantly dryfiring and drawing my unloaded pistol every convienient oppurtunity I get. I do not have the cash to attend gunsite or TDI or the like, so i must make due. I feel i am doing my best to reasonably protect my self. There is no need for the rudeness you are feeding me. '

While i whish i could strap both my full size guns on and oc to my hearts content, that senator represents the will of the majority, and that veiw he expresses is most likely the veiws of those he represents. So you must understand were i am coming form.

Compensation comes to mind. :(

Bad indicators...

nickerj1

imported post

FogRider wrote:
Just to play devils advocate (and to get a little info), how would you go about protecting both guns in the unlikely event of a grab attempt? I know I can keep track of the one I carry, but, if both hands are tied up with hanging on to a gun, I don't see how I will be very able to defend myself effectively.

Wear them at angles where both can't be grabbed by a person at the same time. So, 4 o'clock and 11 o'clock.

And then, since you're carrying a second gun, if anyone ever attempts to grab your first gun, you draw the second gun and shoot them with it, while tickling them away from the first gun.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
FogRider wrote:

Wear them at angles where both can't be grabbed by a person at the same time...

And don't get on any crowded elevators......

nickerj1 wrote:
And then, since you're carrying a second gun, if anyone ever attempts to grab your first gun, you draw the second gun and shoot them with it, while tickling them away from the first gun.

It would be interesting if the two-gun OC guy werebeing approached in a public place by asmallbunch of thugs/youths who were attracted bythe phenomenon of a non-LEO with two (count 'em, two) handguns.

Hey mistah! WhyU got two guns? Gonna shootda place up? Hey mistah!

Maybesome adventuous in thegroup could start to heckle the, what to themwould be a provocoteur, and yuk it up... to the distress, presumbably,of the two-gun guy.

Maybeone of the toughies could make a stab at agun snatch...or maybe two at at the same time....hey, justget ONE guy and get ....TWO guns..... kind of attractive to some of the criminally-minded...

possumboy

imported post

I do it at least once a week on the way to and from the range. That way, everything I need fits in one bag to carry.

If I stop somewhere to or from there, I don't leave one in the car, and I haven't in the past made an effort to conceal.

"Dual" OC is not an everyday occurance for me though.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
nickerj1 wrote:
FogRider wrote:

Wear them at angles where both can't be grabbed by a person at the same time...

And don't get on any crowded elevators......

nickerj1 wrote:

It would be interesting if the two-gun OC guy werebeing approached in a public place by asmallbunch of thugs/youths who were attracted bythe phenomenon of a non-LEO with two (count 'em, two) handguns.

Hey mistah! WhyU got two guns? Gonna shootda place up? Hey mistah!

Maybesome adventuous in thegroup could start to heckle the, what to themwould be a provocoteur, and yuk it up... to the distress, presumbably,of the two-gun guy.

Maybeone of the toughies could make a stab at agun snatch...or maybe two at at the same time....hey, justget ONE guy and get ....TWO guns..... kind of attractive to some of the criminally-minded...
Hank, you do have one heck of an imagination. Maybe the two guns were actually decoy guns. Maybe they were covered in super glue and connected to tasers that would zap the gun-grabber and all of his friends until he let go - but he couldn't let go because he was glued to the gun - and soon they all had curly hair and smoke coming out of their ears. Maybe the gun owner had to walk home with a chain of twitching toughies tagging along behind him.

You can "maybe" all day but if I want to carry two guns or twenty guns I will.

LoveMyCountry

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been thinking about this off and on since I first saw the topic posted. I even tried it out in my house just to see what it would be like. The first thing that popped into my head upon reading the OP was, Why would you do that? Last week I was at the gun shop and they were talking about a guy who usually carries 2-3 med/full size pistols and 2 bugs, which came to mind also.

I have concluded that unless you must go into a specific high threat environment (and I can't off the top of my head imagine what that situation would be in real life for a civilian), it seems to me that carrying more than 1 med/large frame pistol and a bug on a regular basis is just plain overkill. More likely to freak out the public if OC and more likely to be uncomfortable for you regardless of how you carry. The whole concept reminds me of the old joke about the guy who is so conservative that he wears suspenders and a belt at the same time. I would rather carry a 3rd mag than a 2nd med/large frame gun. That would be 50 rds of .45 JHP and if I can't solve my problem with that much ammo, I don't need more ammo or another pistol, I need SWAT and/or more training.

But in the final analysis, if you want to walk around loaded out like the Outlaw Jose Wales, that is your right and more power to you. Just don't be surprised when people, including LEO and fellow OCers, react suspiciously.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:

Sure thing. I understand. It looks sooooooo cool. Andpracticing is sooooooo coooool tooooooo....

deniro.jpg

Mordis

imported post

PT111 wrote:

Pt111, I wrote that as a fun little comment to help get the discussion going. When i carry i am serious about it. Why get hung up on something that was ment in good humor.. One more person to watch out for on this forum i guess..

Now, i dont dual carry very much. The only times i do, are when im on my way to the range, or at my father inlaws, who also has a out door range. Normaly i only carry 1. either my m15-3 or my g17 that i used to own(tho i now have a springfield milspec). It just is more convieniant to dual carry at the range.

Tho for civilians i dont see the need, but for cops and security officers in high threat areas/assignments I think they can be a life saver. Perhaps, your primary at the strongside, and the secondary worn weakside but for strong side crossdraw.

Mordis

imported post

Well, i have done some reading through my library of magazines, and found a article about a tatoo shop owner that was involved in a shooting. He said that he normaly carries dual .380 bersas, but at the time he had his .38spc. That is just one example.

I truly think that discreet concealed dual carry happens more often then any of the detracters here think. If it didnt, all the companies that sell dual holster belly bands(galco to name one) wouldnt be offering them in the first place.

Maybe carrying 2 full sized guns is a bit over kill, but i think that to small framed guns would be perfectly acceptable. Much faster to get back into the fight, by grabbing the second small gun.

ijusam

imported post

PT111 wrote:

IMO fun = enjoyment of an experience. A "naughty thrill" may be fun, but it does not stand to reason that all fun is a "naughty thrill"

I enjoy carrying a gun. I enjoy shooting a gun. I even enjoy cleaning a gun. I enjoy telling people they have rights they didn’t know about. I have fun doing these things!

I carry my gun for self-defense and the defense of those I’m responsible for. Sometimes I carry to hunt or target shoot. Actually guns are a very small part of my life. I carry 100% of the time when I leave my property. Sometimes I have to leave it in the car, when to carry would be in violation of the law. This is not a contradiction; wearing a gun is an everyday occurrence like wearing my pants, I do it all the time but it’s not a big part of my life.

The carrying of a gun is a big responsibility and should be treated that way and not as some joy ride on a curving mountain road.

The second part of this statement is wrong. Driving a automobile is an even bigger responsibility than carrying a gun in a holster. IMO the only way to compare driving a car to carrying a gun would have you carrying with your gun: loaded, cocked, safety off, finger on the trigger, and muzzle sweeping everyone and everything around you. (and for some, while putting on makeup or talking on a phone)

It may be a right but that right can be taken away very quickly with one bad decision by you.
No one can take away your rights. Society may be able to deny you the ability to exercise your right, but as they did not give them to you then they can not take them away.

Mordis

imported post

openryan wrote:
Retention?
thats definatly a concern with traditional owb holsters. but i think that a dual holster belly band under the shirt maybe a great way to carry 2 small framed/medium framed guns securly. They would still be concealed, and they would be under your arms and not at all that hard to prevent a grab.(at least in my view anyways.YMMV)

dng

State Researcher
imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
Hank, you do have one heck of an imagination. Maybe the two guns were actually decoy guns. Maybe they were covered in super glue and connected to tasers that would zap the gun-grabber and all of his friends until he let go - but he couldn't let go because he was glued to the gun - and soon they all had curly hair and smoke coming out of their ears. Maybe the gun owner had to walk home with a chain of twitching toughies tagging along behind him.

LoveMyCountry
Please stop; my sides are hurting from laughing. That's funny!