• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dual carry

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Mordis wrote:
openryan wrote:
Retention?
thats definatly a concern with traditional owb holsters. but i think that a dual holster belly band under the shirt maybe a great way to carry 2 small framed/medium framed guns securly. They would still be concealed, and they would be under your arms and not at all that hard to prevent a grab.(at least in my view anyways.YMMV)
Yes, thats what I am saying. I certainly wouldn't OC two sidearms, in passive retention holsters, even with active retention holsters it could become a problem, as it would be hard to defend an attack where someone was wanting to disarm you.

Personally I would only OC one weapon, and a BUG would be concealed...

But thats just me, obviously people can do what they like

Superlite27

imported post

I carry a Springfield Champion .45 at 5 o'clock in an OWB with dual mags at 7 o'clock, and a Taurus M85 titanium .38 in my front left pocket.

Retention is easy. I shoot anyone who tries to grab my .45 with my .38.

If they go for my .38 first, she better be pretty or else.

As for benefits:

I have seen several videos of cops being assaulted with deadly force, and after missing with their first round........the gun jams!

I have also seen numerous videos of would be murderers firing shots at people, then fleeing because, guess what.....their gun jammed!

I'm not relying on luck. The odds of both guns jamming are a little less. Plus, it helps to battle the retention issue. If you only have one gun, WHOEVER GETS IT, WINS!

Two guns....fight isn't over yet.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nothing in life is 100%. Most all of us, if not all of us, carry to be sure that we get home safely at night. We carry what we think we need to be able to do so. I usually carry a .45 rather than my 9mm because of the slight ballistics edge. So like everyone else I'm hedging my bets.

That being said, while I don't have reservations about someone dual carrying I'm just not seeing that for most people it is giving you much. Sort of like buying one extra lottery ticket to improve your odds. Sure it does improve them, but at a mathematical insignificant level. Here's where I am coming from:
Most civilian involved gun fights last 3-15 seconds depending on who's stats you read. What is the likelihood that in that 3-15 seconds of panic you are going to realize you have a jam, process that mentally, and then pull out a second weapon either with your weak side hand or awkwardly with your strong side hand, bring it down on target and start firing accurately instead of just running like hell are diving behind the biggest anything available? Data apparently shows that LEOs can grab a BUG faster than they can reload their primary weapon. I would think that depends on a lot of factors, but even assuming that is universally true, LEOs get into a lot of situations that we, as civilians, are highly unlikely to ever encounter.

How small of a percentage of us are ever going to use our pistol for self-defense? And then how many of those pistols are going to jam? If you carry a quality firearm with ammo you have tested through that firearm and KNOW that it feeds reliably, you keep your firearm in good, clean, lubricated condition, you shoot it regularly enough to maintain your skill level and ensure that it is working properly and you rotate out your SD ammo to keep it fresh (all things we each should be doing) what are the odds that pistol will jam on you when you need it?

I'm guessing that the odds that the average OC/CC citizen living a normal life is going to be in a lethal self-defense situation, draw their firearm, discharge their firearm and then have that firearm jam, is probably worse than winning the lottery. Throw in there the odds of being able to recognize the problem and draw another weapon and continue the self-defense situation, and I bet the odds of that are worse than winning the lottery twice.

But hey, I usually carry an extra mag primarly in case of a type II due to mag malfunction, so I'm not one to talk. I'm just thinking through this. Maybe one of you is going to say something that is going to convince me to at least carry the extra mag 100% of the time, to carry a BUG or maybe even carry 2 pistols myself.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

New York Reload. Its faster to draw a second gun than to reload. Not that I carry a second gun or a reload right now. Will carry reload soon, once I get a pouch.

Oh yeah, and if you ever wanted to dress up like Patton, you're going to need to dual carry.

imperialism2024

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
New York Reload. Its faster to draw a second gun than to reload. Not that I carry a second gun or a reload right now. Will carry reload soon, once I get a pouch.
Most important with revolvers.

Once I reach the age (9 months left) where Pennsylvania decides that I can purchase a gun, and carry that gun in a car and in the most crime-ridden city in the state, I plan to carry a pair of Ruger Redhawks in cross-draw fashion. My reasons for this?
-I don't trust non-magnum rounds for stopping (not killing) power. To carry .44 magnum, I generally need a revolver, and there's the pesky 6-round capacity. With two guns, I have an effective 12-round capacity.
-There's the advantage of being able to draw from either side, and with the draw being equally comfortable from either side.
-While there's little risk of malfunction with my choice of carry gun, the possibility is still there.
-Eventually I hope to be able to train myself in engaging two targets at once, though this isn't one of my primary reasons.

But right now, one of them makes do :)

AbNo

imported post

Well, while stopping power is there, do keep in mind the over-penetration of those rounds.

Just make sure to practice your "Most powerful handgun in the world" speech. ;)

imperialism2024

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Well, while stopping power is there, do keep in mind the over-penetration of those rounds.

Just make sure to practice your "Most powerful handgun in the world" speech. ;)

My father questioned me the other day about why I'm practicing with and carrying hollow-point ammunition instead of "regular" rounds. Apparently he's not entirely clear of the "hollow points are evil" anti propaganda. Anyhow, I kindly explaining to him that if I have to shoot someone in self-defense, I'd rather not have the bullet(s) go through the person, then keep going through several walls and into another person. :uhoh:

I'm still trying to figure out how I might want to load in a FMJ round or two in order to penetrate a car door or such. Or would a HP round in that caliber penetrate a car door?