• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OpenCarry in PA if Virginia Resident with CCW

MadMaxZ06

imported post

I have a CCW as a resident of Virginia and I know that I can conceal carry in PA now (relatively new change in law) but can I open carry in PA?

Thanks,

- Max

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MadMaxZ06 wrote:
I have a CCW as a resident of Virginia and I know that I can conceal carry in PA now (relatively new change in law) but can I open carry in PA?

Thanks,

- Max

Max - did you check the PA page? The state database is there - just click.

You have a Concealed Handgun Permit issued in Virginia? Great - the only time you need it to open carry in PA is (1) in vehicles (2) in Philadelphia and (3) generally everywhere during periods of declared emergency.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I have a CCW as a resident of Virginia ... can I open carry in PA?
Since the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has ruled in two cases that open carry is legal, and since the law itself is silent on the subject, there's nothing to stop you, or anyone else not prohibited from possessing a firearm (and that includes people from New Jersey), from openly carrying while in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Your license to carry concealed in the Commonwealth of Virginia is immaterial and irrelavent.

MadMaxZ06

imported post

Mike wrote:
MadMaxZ06 wrote:

Thanks,

- Max

Max - did you check the PA page? The state database is there - just click.

You have a Concealed Handgun Permit issued in Virginia? Great - the only time you need it to open carry in PA is (1) in vehicles (2) in Philadelphia and (3) generally everywhere during periods of declared emergency.

Mike, I did, but I didn't see anything that addressed non-resident OC in PA specifically so I thought I would post. And correct, I have a resident Virginia CHP. Thank you for the help.

- Max

chesire17201

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
I have a CCW as a resident of Virginia ... can I open carry in PA?
Since the Pennsylvania Supreme Court has ruled in two cases that open carry is legal, and since the law itself is silent on the subject, there's nothing to stop you, or anyone else not prohibited from possessing a firearm (and that includes people from New Jersey), from openly carrying while in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Your license to carry concealed in the Commonwealth of Virginia is immaterial and irrelavent.
Not totally true.....he would need to have the permit to carry in a vehicle, although a permit from any sate is recognized for that purpose....

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Not totally true.....he would need to have the permit to carry in a vehicle....

Carrying in a vehicle is not Open Carry, it is Concealed Carry per state law. It is covered by more out-of-state licenses than regular Concealed Carry, but it is definitely not Open Carry as such. I stand by my statement.

The problem with that is that most people don't understand this difference.
You tell them OC is legal and they have no idea that vehicle carry is considered concealed. My point is only that I usually reply similarly as you did but with the added info about the vehicles.

chesire17201

imported post

Hence my point, In Va. NO permit is needed to OPEN carry in a vehicle.......whereas here in Pa. in the vehicle it is considered concealed no matter where it is

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
Carrying in a vehicle is not Open Carry, it is Concealed Carry per state law. It is covered by more out-of-state licenses than regular Concealed Carry, but it is definitely not Open Carry as such. I stand by my statement.
You tell them OC is legal and they have no idea that vehicle carry is considered concealed. My point is only that I usually reply similarly as you did but with the added info about the vehicles.
No - open carry in vehicles in PA is not considered "concealoed" by operation of state law.

The Uniform Firearms Act simply bans vehicle carry unless you have a LTCF from "any" state or meet an enumerated exception.

I would kindly ask everyone to take notice of this important fact - the General Assembly has spoken very clearly on this and it muddies the waters if folks tell others somthing thsat is not true.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Point taken. I stand corrected.

To carry in a vehicle you need a license from Pennsylvania or any state, or meet enumerated exceptions.

To carry concealed on foot you need a license from Pennsylvania or any state with which Pennsylvania has reciprocity or otherwise recognizes, or meet enumerated exceptions.

To carry openly on foot you do not need a license.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
No - open carry in vehicles in PA is not considered "concealoed" by operation of state law.

The Uniform Firearms Act simply bans vehicle carry unless you have a LTCF from "any" state or meet an enumerated exception.

I would kindly ask everyone to take notice of this important fact - the General Assembly has spoken very clearly on this and it muddies the waters if folks tell others somthing thsat is not true.
Yes, as I obviousy know, the prohibition is written into 6106. The section prohibiting cocealed carry. The common "assumption" is that vehicle=concealed is why they wrote vehicles into that section. Probably true, maybe not.
I'll agree with you that we shouldn't call it something on assumption or common knowledge.
In the end, it is quite irrelevent. It doesn't change anything we've discussed in this thread.
OC in vehicles or CC= need LTCF