• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

logan safest in U.S.

utsp101

imported post

Logan has just been declared to be the safest metro area in the U.S. If you picked Logan up and shook it for five minutes it would rain guns for threedays. According to the anti-gunners there should be dead bodies on every street corner. How can they explain Logans standing as the safest? This just goes to show that there are alot of other factors that determine incidents of crime and violence. I would be interested to hear what the Brady Campaign has to say about this. Or will they ignore it like they do every other thing that can't explaine withinthe perameters of their very narrow and closed minded agenda?

Jeff Johnson

imported post

I'd really like to see a reference for that statistic. Where'd you see that? Do you have a web address that shows this?

Wait a minute. I just googled for a bit and found a reference:

City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America by CQ Press.
This is the 14th edition of that report.

It looks like you have to pay for the report, even to get the electronic version, but here is a Press Release (18 November 2007) that says the following:
The Logan region of Utah and Idaho tops the rankings as the safest U.S. metropolitan area. The Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn metropolitan region in Michigan ranks as the most dangerous for the fourth consecutive year.

And you're right. There are lots of guns in the Logan area.:celebrate

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

utsp101 wrote:
Logan has just been declared to be the safest metro area in the U.S. If you picked Logan up and shook it for five minutes it would rain guns for threedays. According to the anti-gunners there should be dead bodies on every street corner. How can they explain Logans standing as the safest? This just goes to show that there are alot of other factors that determine incidents of crime and violence. I would be interested to hear what the Brady Campaign has to say about this. Or will they ignore it like they do every other thing that can't explaine withinthe perameters of their very narrow and closed minded agenda?
I don't know where logan is, but I would love to see the Brady Report Card...

Great use of words "it would rain guns for three days", I found that hillarious.

They won't say anything about it, it would hurt their cause. Or they will spin it and turn around...

EDIT: Does anyone know the percentage of permit holders? Probably one of the reasons it is the safest is because of the number of people who carry firearms, criminals know this...

Is logan a big OC area?

combatcarry

imported post

Logan is the home of Utah State University. I'm a proud Alumni. Got my BS in Engineering there. When I lived in Logan I heard that 60% of the population are college students, teachers, etc.

I attended USU prior to, and just after the Columbine incident. At that time they were very leary about allowing guns on campus (even though they technically couldn't ban them). I lived in student housing and was strictly forbidden to have a gun. Needless to say "many" people didn't abide by the no gun policy. Everybody I knew living in student housing had guns. This wasn't mainly for protection. We were all hunters, shooters, etc. The pheasant hunting, hungarian partridge hunting, dove hunting, and waterfowl hunting around Logan is amazing!

Anyway. I'm not surprised that Logan is a safe city. It is too cold to go outside 9 months out of the year. Its hard to be a criminal when you can't get your car out of the snow and your car doors always freeze shut.:lol:

I miss Logan sometimes... Go Aggies!

I never saw anybody openly carrying in Logan. Unless carrying a shotgun out hunting birds counts... :)