• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC!

Rosie

imported post

I never knew that OC in Utah was okay, until I found out about this forum. I have CC'd for about 5 years, but my CC instructor never mentioned once anything about OC.

I personally believe we need to help educate people (including my wife) on gun ownership, so I have resolved to OC as much as I can.

I needed to run to Smith's in Herriman and decided to OC. The whole thing was very uneventful. I received many glances, a couple of smiles, and that was it!
:cool:

Uraijit

imported post

Congratulations! The first few times feel a little strange, but you stop thinking about it after a while.

b1ack5mith

imported post

CONGRATS! yep after awhile you stop caring what people think, i even forget i have it on my side sometimes (and im 18!) ill just be walkin in a store, reach down for my cellphone and tap on my holster "OH yeah, i have a gun... i forgot!" man i love my glock!

Uraijit

imported post

Uh... Isn't it illegal for an 18 year old to be carrying a handgun? Thought you had to be 21 to carry handguns. Man, I'm confused.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

It depends on the state. I actually think it is more common than most would think when a state allows 18year olds to possess a handgun. Usually it's 21 to carry concealed.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

In Utah it is legal for an 18 year old (or as I like to call them, adults) to posess a handgun. It is also legal for an individual to sell a handgun to an 18 year old. You need to be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Uraijit wrote:
Uh... Isn't it illegal for an 18 year old to be carrying a handgun? Thought you had to be 21 to carry handguns. Man, I'm confused.

b1ack5mith, let me put the code on here for Uraijitso that he will know.

76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.
(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:
(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or
(b) a fully automatic weapon.
(3) Any person who violates Subsection (1) is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.
(4) Any person who violates Subsection (2) is guilty of a third degree felony.

Amended by Chapter 80, 1995 General Session
Download Code Section Uraijit, any one between 14 and 18 can OC a any type of rifle, shotgun or even an AR-15 with just a "permission-slip" from a Parent/Legal Guardian.

Utah Code Section 76-10-509
76-10-509 . Possession of dangerous weapon by minor. (1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he: (a) has the permission of his ...

• le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C039.htm
  • · Cached page
(a) 76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor.
(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he:
(a) has the permission of his parent or guardian to have the weapon; or
(b) is accompanied by a parent or guardian while he has the weapon in his possession.
(2) Any minor under 14 years of age in possession of a dangerous weapon shall be accompanied by a responsible adult.
(3) Any person who violates this section is guilty of:
(a) a class B misdemeanor upon the first offense; and
(b) a class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.

Amended by Chapter 10, 1993 Special Session 2
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_0C039.ZIP 1,855 Bytes

[line]

Amended by Chapter 10, 1993 Special Session 2
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_0C039.ZIP 1,855 Bytes

[line]

b1ack5mith

imported post

thank you kevin and pete!

Rosie, in the state of california, an 18 year old may posess and even open carry a handgun IN THE CITY, as long as the magazine isnt in the firearm, and they are in a legal place to carry (away from schools, etc) and you must call the city's police dept to inform them in CA