• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hassled at a Restaurant for OC

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
thirtyonebravo wrote:
regardless - "Morons broke the law, they should be made to pay with their jobs and their lives." is a bit excessive, especially the latter.
ok, lives was meant as in 'prosperous' lives, not their actual living breathing lives. my bad for being too literal.

That's kind of a bad error. It could easily be interpreted as a threat. I don't think that OCDO needs to get any more of a cop-bashing rep than it already has.

It's great you recanted, albeit in a rather contrived manner. If you ever get in a formal beef with LEOs....good luck.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

HankT wrote:
That's kind of a bad error. It could easily be interpreted as a threat. I don't think that OCDO needs to get any more of a cop-bashing rep than it already has.

It's great you recanted, albeit in a rather contrived manner. If you ever get in a formal beef with LEOs....good luck.

You, above all, should know that not all words that are typed on a screen get interpreted in the terms they were meant. If someone wants to take what I typed as a threat, nothing is really going to change their minds on it. If someone can't determine that my recant was serious instead of contrived, so be it.

Cop bashing? eh, some cops deserve it. Some cops don't. I've always tried to treat any one person as an individual entity, with the respect deserved as a single entity. When that individual chooses to align themselves in a group that has bad apples, and then defend those bad apples, they are no longer representing themselves as a single entity. If cop bashing becomes a result of that, then one should wonder why is it that they are being bashed instead of complaining about being generalized.

If I ever get in to a formal beef with a LEO, they had better be conducting themselves within the law. Acting outside of the law offers them no protection. This crap about letting bad cops walk all over you while being subservient and polite and then taking them to court is relatively useless. Unless one has video and audio proof that their rights were violated, they have little chance at getting any real redress of grievance. If there is one thing I've learned about the judicial system in this country, it is that citizens only have the rights and protections any judge wishes to grant them at that particular time and it usually doesn't beat the word of a police officer.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

openryan wrote:
I find it funny that a corrections officer from over 40 miles away thinks he has the authority to ask you for that information. I probably would not have been so kind to politely refuse.
So do I. I wouldn't expect him to have any more authority than anyone else outside of the prison. But, who knows... I suppose each state is different.

Knight

imported post

I was just wondering if anything new has happened with this situation. I am really interested since I live in the area and know several officers on both forces. Until reacently I would have sided with the officers. I was suprised to find this was still the law of the land. I thought it had been changed years ago (damn liberal rumour mongers if they can't legislate a change they just do it by innuendo). I am a criminal justice student and my instructors all are giving the wrong information (including one who is a former cop and is now a Defense attorney who specializes in constitutional cases (i.e. 4th and 5th ammend.) I wouludn't have been enlightened except I stumbled accross PAopencarry.org when trying to find info on renewing my LCCF.

BTW I am mailing the Law Enforcement Letter of Info to all the local police agencies.

Attachments

• PATrainingMemo.doc
    66.5 KB · Views: 137

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Nothing came of it, really. PA Patriot sent his training memo to the Tarentum PD and we never heard anything beyond that. I never was able to schedule a time to sit down with the Chief of Police.

And I've not had a reason to go beck to The Mills since then either - so I haven't tested the waters. Though I am thinking of hosting the next Pittsburgh OC dinner up there ;)

OnlineErie.com

imported post

lildobe wrote:
After a 30 minute rigmarole of running my License number, LCTF number and gun Serial Number,

How did they get your firearm's serial number? Did you give up your firearm to the police? IF SO, why?

I work for the Pa. DOC and we do NOT have the kind of power this guy tried to lay on you! PERHAPS, heis a cop and was just wearing a Pa. DOC cap...I hope that is the truth!

For sure this is a case of unlawful search & seizure. I hope you intend to follow through with what should be done.

Dave Martin

Pa. DOC

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

OnlineErie.com wrote:
How did they get your firearm's serial number? Did you give up your firearm to the police? IF SO, why?

The officers involved disarmed me for officer safety reasons - which I completely agree with. Once my firearm was out of my control, there was little I could do to keep them from running it's S/N

I work for the Pa. DOC and we do NOT have the kind of power this guy tried to lay on you! PERHAPS, he is a cop and was just wearing a Pa. DOC cap...I hope that is the truth!
Perhaps he was - but other then tell me to cover and then call 911 when I refused, the RP wearing the DOC cap did nothing else. I refused to comply with his request becasue I knew he didn't have the authority.

For sure this is a case of unlawful search & seizure. I hope you intend to follow through with what should be done.
That would require the resources of a lawyer and as an unemployed student, I don't have the money for that.

I still have my LTCF, and no charges were pressed or arrests made - The Chief has received the training memo, and the issue is now cold. I do not feel that it is worth pursuing. Because no damages - other then to my pride - befell me, I have no case for a civil suit beyond the cry of "Oh Noes he violated my rights" and while I agree what was done was wrong and illegal, I don't have enough of a case to take it any further in civil court. (Yes, a lawyer was consulted.)