• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally got my Safariland ALS Holster

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok now right off the bat don't turn this into a whiny blackhawk-love fest. I have came to my own personal opinion that I prefer Safariland over Blackhawk. This has nothing to do with anyone else's opinion. I would just like to share my opinion and information with others. Kool?

Ok so anyway, thisis the holster I just got. It's a Safariland ALS Belt Holster, Model 6377. It doesn't say on the website, but I would consider it level 2 retention, since the holster itself holds the gun in, plus it has a lock that has to be released. In another thread Icompared Safariland and Blackhawk in order to make a purchase decision. Here were the pro's and con's from that thread, andthis time around I'll elaborate on each a little:

-CQC and SL (w/ ALS)both have a secure locking mechanism with a natural draw

The draw on the SL is flawless when performed correctly, and really doesn't seem to take any longer than a zero retention holster. The ALS release forces you into a high combat grip every time, and there's no concern about where my trigger finger is going.

-CQC and SL both have the option to buy platforms w/o the holster (belt, paddle, etc)

The SL platforms are easily interchangeable. The thigh rig does take a bit to switch over as you have to get under the leg strap, but it can all be done with a single allen wrench that is not only included with the platform, but snaps into the back of the leg shroud! (an example of the quality and thought put into their products)

-CQC and SL have adjustable cant

The SL holster on the belt platform can be adjusted for cant just like the CQC, allowing for crossdraw, straight up, or forward cant carry.

-CQC looks cooler than the SL (my personal opinion)

This is still true for the most part, all though the SL is really growing on me. There's nothing extra on the SL. It's smooth and practical.

-CQC has a slimmer cut than SL

The CQC is cut low in the front, exposing the ejection port. The SL comes up to just below the rear sights, since the locking mechanism holds onto the ejection port, not the trigger guard. This makes the SL LOOK bigger than the CQC, but it really isn't. It also requires you to bring the weapon slightly higher before it clears the holster.

-CQC comes with belt and paddle standard, SL comes with only one

A second belt platform for the SL is $5.50, or $2.48 with a military/government discount. They're not expensive to buy separately.

-SL ALS retention is less susceptible to dirt, sand, etc. compared to the CQC

This is a big one. There have been rumors about the CQC locking device being compromised by foreign objects. This virtually can't happen with the ALS system. It's spring loaded with constant tension on the ejection port, so while the gun is holstered there's no room behind the locking device. Even with an empty holster I can't imagine that anything could get in there. The locking device is also completely encased within the holster. The lock isn't a moving part, but rather a flexing part.

-SL ALS retention is less accessibleduring a gun grab compared to the CQC

The ALS is released by the thumb, right next to the back of the slide. It is virtually impossible to apply the necessary pressure to release the lock and simultaneously draw the weapon from any other angle than that of the carrier. Also, it is very easy to block access to the release all together by bending your body over the holster or locking your elbow over the holster. This is compared to the CQC's release mechanism which is located low on the outside of the holster (which would still take two hands to "snatch" under most circumstances).

-I've heard bad news about the CQC, haven't heard any about the SL

This is pretty simple. I just haven't heard anything bad about safariland! If anyone has anything legitimate, please let me know!!

-SL covers more of the weapon compared to the CQC

The SL holster completely wraps around the handgun, leaving only the grip and very back of the slide exposed.

On top of all of that, the quality of the Safariland products is honestly amazing. Everything feels absolutely as strong as it could be. It would be physically impossible to separate the holster from its platform before your belt or belt loops gave way. The materials they use for the thigh rig go above and beyond what is necessary, using thick tough elastic straps around the legs, that have two silicon-like strips on the inside to prevent slipping. They don't use any generic plastic clips, instead everything is designed and molded by them for their products. If I could build my house out of the stuff they use to make these holsters, I would.

More on quality, you can see how much thought was put into their products just by looking at them. From the clean, rounded, finished edges to the finish-friendly suede lining, everything has a purpose and looks like it was done by hand. They're just rock solid.

As far as the ALS device vs. the CQC locking device, the ALS has some obvious advantages. The ALS locks into the gun's ejection port. This is one of the strongest parts of any gun, and is always (correct me if I'm wrong) made of metal. The CQC's device, on the other hand,locks onto the front of the trigger guard, which is possibly the weakest part of the weapon, especially on guns with compositeframes.

As far as drawing goes, the ALS release not only puts your thumb in a perfect shooting position when you draw, but it also gives you the leverage to pull the gun up from the holster. Your thumb goes down and your fingers come up. There is only vertical movement and pressure.This is different from the CQC, whichrequires horizontal pressure to release. It has already been noted numerous times that pushing in with your trigger finger while drawing doesn't seem to be a problem for most people in practice, but can sound rather dangerous in theory.

I dunno what else to tell you. I just love this holster. Oh, yeah, Safariland's customer service is #1, period. I've never dealt with better service. Every person I've talked to over the phone knew their products front to back, and had the perfect balance between being social and friendly and getting the job done.

One last thing, if you're lucky enough to be eligible for their military/government discounts, they basically give their stuff away. Here's a quick comparison of prices so you can get an idea:

6304 ALS/SLS thigh rig: $182.00, discount @$75.81

6378 ALS holster w/paddle: $45.00, discount @$20.25

thigh rig platform: $88.00, discount @ $37.26

You can't beat those prices :D.

MetalChris

imported post

I didn't realize they had a military discount! I just might have to go w/ Safariland for my next holster...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I think you mentioned that before. I could never find a 6038 on the safariland website. Is it an earlier model?

I'm realize surprised no one else has responded on this thread. I really wish someone could tell me something they don't like about safariland. They're not perfect after all...right? lol

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
especially on guns with plastic frames.
I think the word you are looking for is "composite". :p

Ok, ok, I was trying to find SOMETHING. Laff I originally went with CQC because of local availability and the interchangable platforms. I have nothing against Safariland and will have to look more at their line for future holster/platform options. I especially like that suede lining concept. My XD has quite a bit of holster wear already from my CQC and while I know from other posters that I can glue in some moleskin to protect it, I like the idea of having that protection from the manufacturer.

Excellent review and comparison by the way!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
DreQo wrote:
especially on guns with plastic frames.
I think the word you are looking for is "composite". :p

Ok, ok, I was trying to find SOMETHING. Laff I originally went with CQC because of local availability and the interchangable platforms. I have nothing against Safariland and will have to look more at their line for future holster/platform options. I especially like that suede lining concept. My XD has quite a bit of holster wear already from my CQC and while I know from other posters that I can glue in some moleskin to protect it, I like the idea of having that protection from the manufacturer.

Excellent review and comparison by the way!
I corrected the plastic thing. I really couldn't think of the word at the time so I put it in italics to imply that I was using a layman's term :D. But yeah, I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of a CQC holster so I can take a side-by-side picture to show the difference in thickness and construction, especially on the platform.

Thanks for the compliment, btw. The post started out as just some quick info, but it turned into a review type thing in the end lol.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have had the plastic/composite conversation numerous times over the years about cars: My steel bodied, muscle-car owning friends always give me crap about my plastic sports car and I always insist that it isn't plastic, it's composite. As one of my friends so succinctly put it: just because you call a horse an equine doesn't mean you don't have to muck out the stall. :monkey

MetalChris

imported post

I like the idea of the release being next to my body instead of hanging out there where anybody can press and release it. I know the likelihood of that happening is pretty low, but you never know...

I also like the military discount that Safariland has, like I said up there ^^ somewhere. :p

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I think you mentioned that before. I could never find a 6038 on the safariland website. Is it an earlier model?

I'm realize surprised no one else has responded on this thread. I really wish someone could tell me something they don't like about safariland. They're not perfect after all...right? lol
The 6038 is not on the site, its a special order. It's actually made for a G17 witha Surefire M3X light. Someone ordered it at a local vendor here in Vegas and never picked it up, so I was able to get it for $104. My glock19 with the Surefire x200-A fits great, I just had to tighten the lower retention nut a bit more.

metricinch

imported post

DreQo wrote:
stuff.....

I dunno what else to tell you. I just love this holster. Oh, yeah, Safariland's customer service is #1, period. I've never dealt with better service. Every person I've talked to over the phone knew their products front to back, and had the perfect balance between being social and friendly and getting the job done.

....more stuff.

This is exactly what I said. The service was amazing! I had to call a couple of times and was always treated like a king!