• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti open carry article

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Mike wrote:
It looks like good ole' Bob has locked his thread - not more comments allows :X

Well, Mike don't be to sorry. He didn't even post mine at all. It was a good one to. I IDed myself as one of the Guys being part of those 2 articles in Utah. I stated that I OC most of the time but CC when more appropriate I also said that I carry due to the fact that when Seconds count the average national response by Cops is 5-7 min. I stated that I carry because and quoted "Law enforcement agencies and personnel have no duty to protect individuals from the criminal acts of others; instead their duty is to preserve the peace and arrest law breakers for the protection of the general public." from this link http://publicrights.org/Kennesaw/PoliceResponsibility.html,and some more Bla,bla,bla...

I guess he didn't like what I said...I guess I OFFENDED HIM:celebrate

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I sent Bob the following email:

--
Subject:
Facts on open carry of handguns

Date:
11/23/2007 8:40:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time

Reply To:
To:
Bob@Lonsberry.com
CC:

Bob,

I have posted comments to your Editor's notes today at http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=2270&go=4to clear things up - please check your system to make sure they post properly.

Please spend some time studying our interactive maps at OpenCarry.org.

These are the factsthat people need to understand:

1. Only 6 states ban open carry (NY, SC, FL, AR, OK, and TX).

2. In no state does the issuance of a concealed handgun permit preclude the restrict the open carry rights of the permittee that he had before the permit was issued.

Mike Stollenwerk
OpenCarry.org

massltca

imported post

packingmama wrote:
This country is dying of political correctness. We have the right to keep and BEAR arms. We can obtain the PRIVELLAGE to conceal arms. Some people do not have the option to conceal, so they must openly carry. If seeing my pistol makes somebody "scared" or "uneasy" then tough. They should be more afraid of my big black 3000 pound automobile. It is certainly more dangerous than my holstered Glock.
++1 Yeah since when do you have the "right" not to be offended. I could care less if someone else is offended by how I dress or if I wear a gun on my hip.

massltca

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
[font=verdana,helvetica][size=-1]The full text puts the comments in more context:
KEEP IT IN YOUR PANTS, PARDNER
[/size][/font][font=verdana,helvetica][size=-1]But I don't believe in pushing my luck. [/size][/font]
[font=verdana,helvetica][size=-1]And I don't believe in being rude. [/size][/font]
[font=verdana,helvetica][size=-1]And I think there might be a better approach than rubbing people's faces in a holstered gun on the hip at the mall. That starts conversations about guns, but more often than not it's not going to be a good conversation. [/size][/font]
Pushing your luck is carrying a concealed handgun without a license to conceal. Pushing your luck is remaining unarmed in circumstances where it would be prudent to be prepared.

Being rude is an action- the mere presense of a firearm- having an inanimate object in your possession is not rude, unlessone starts pointing it at people with no good G*d damn reason.

I am not responsible for other people's irrational fear of a lawfully carried firearm.

When a gunowner choses to conceal for the sake of placating people's irrational fears, they are helping the anti-gun opposition in reducing the tolerance of lawful gun owners. On the flip-side, when a firearm is openly carried in a lawful manner, the reaction in most cases, even here in California, is that the action is assumedto be'not prohibited' or the individualis authorized to do so.

This exposure of lawful gun owners helps demystify gun ownership and open a dialogue with those who are genuinely open minded. The 'negative conversations' this writer is refering to, are undoubtly going to be instigated by those who have already been indoctrinated into a belief that guns are inherently bad, no matter who owns or carries them. So, should we be silenced for fear that we will offend someone with our principles? Should gun owners be 'closeted' so that ourchoices can be excoriated and subjected to intolerance without regular and conspicuous dissent?

Screw that. That is exactly the reason why we are in the situation where the Supreme court has to rule on whether the second is a individual right or a collective one. When you fail to excersize the second as an individual right, the law will seize this as the opportunity to legislate as if it is not.

A final note- Perhaps Im being too harsh on the writer (and certainly on my local Sheriff), but you are either pro-gun or pro-gun control. As a strict constructionist, my view is that there is no grey area or reason to compromise when the second tells us that the right of the people shall not be infringed.
+1

massltca

imported post

NytoVa wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
Uh... I was born 'n raised in upstate NY (Cattskills) But thanks ;)

Well, no way I would have known that.:)

I always find it amusing when I tell someone I use to live in New York they immediately assume thecity.Manyhave no idea how big the state is or even how farSyracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo are from NY city.
I get the same reaction when I tell people I'm from Massachusetts.:)They always assume I live in Boston.

massltca

imported post

Uraijit wrote:
Here's what I posted on his page"

"I guess I'm one of those offensive people...

I personally don't think I should pay another tax in order to practice my constitutionally recognized rights -- paying for a Permit is just that.
If it was not illegal to carry concealed, I would do so most of the time. I'm not out to offend anybody, any more than black people were out to offend others by drinking from "white water fountains", or sitting at the front of the bus; but oh my, was THAT offensive!
If you are offended by my arming myself, then you have your own bigotry to deal with. So deal with it.
Gay Pride Parades are offensive to some, does this make them a**holes, as you so eloquently put it?
Ever hear of the Million Moms March? Those people ARE offensive, but that is due to how they conduct themselves. If they would conduct themselves in a mature manner while conducting their activist activities, it would not be offensive, even though I do not agree with their message.
Some people might also have a completely baseless fear of V-Neck sweaters, does this mean that you should change the picture that you display on your site, for fear that someone might be offended?
Face it, exposure breeds tolerance. Whatever your reasons for carrying, openly or concealed, you should not give up your God-Given rights to defend yourself, based on what others might think.
I'll bet George Washington, John Adams, and Ben Franklin did and said some things that were offensive to some folks. Remember THOSE a**holes?"
Very well thought out.

gotarheels03

imported post

It is impossible to go about ones life without offending people. I'm sure most of us do something almost everyday that offends or annoys someone. Controversial dialog about certain issues offends people, but that doesn't mean we should shut up and hide rather than exercizing our 1st Amendment rights. Hell, i'm a conservative / libertarian, so just about anything political that comes out of my mouth offends people here in the Blue State of Delaware. Does that mean I should go spend ~$500 on a permit to conceal my speech?

No important change has EVER been achieved without doing or saying things that others consider inappropriate or offensive. If someone is so insecure as to be afraid of an inanimate object that's their problem not mine.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell this self important NY'er is thinking he is justified in telling ME how to carry MY gun (legally). :uhoh::uhoh::what::uhoh::uhoh:.
Take a hike, pardner.

He just thinks he's doing right by the 2A world based on his limited information. He seems to be afraid the anti-s will be able to use it to alarm people into restricting 2A rights.

He's probably a reasonable fella. Old ideas die hard for some. We just have to keep working at it.

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Pa. Patriot wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell this self important NY'er is thinking he is justified in telling ME how to carry MY gun (legally). :uhoh::uhoh::what::uhoh::uhoh:.
Take a hike, pardner.

He just thinks he's doing right by the 2A world based on his limited information. He seems to be afraid the anti-s will be able to use it to alarm people into restricting 2A rights.

He's probably a reasonable fella. Old ideas die hard for some. We just have to keep working at it.
Yeah. And as I've said, it doesn't sound like he's trying to ban OC, or has a deep-seated aversion to it... just feels that it isn't a good idea. Hmpf, fair enough. Like I said, I'd rather hear his kind of arguments than the tacticool anti-OC arguments.

xmirage2kx

imported post

To me OC-ing is like wearing a suit. There are places where a suit is necessary, and there are places where you will get strange looks. If I wore a suit and tie to work on my car I would get strange looks, and If I went to church in my oil stained jeans and a T-shirt I would get the same strange looks.My standard carry is what I like to call "Casually Concealed". This is where my shirt is draped over my gun. Depending on what I am carrying and what shirt I am wearing 1-5 inches ofmy gun/holster may be showing, but I don’t like tucking aT-shirt. Now to a cop this may be considered concealed, but anyone who is looking will still see my gun (I have a permit so I don't worry if it is concealed or not). I offend people every day, we all do, but unless what I am doing is Wrong (legally or morally) then I don’t worry about it. One more thing, I DO show respect when OC-ing my gun. The fact that I carry in a high quality holster and I am dressed professionally vs Mexican carrying in saggy jeans and an oversized hoodie is respecting everyone around me.

Uraijit

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Uraijit wrote:
Here's what I posted on his page"

"I guess I'm one of those offensive people...

I personally don't think I should pay another tax in order to practice my constitutionally recognized rights -- paying for a Permit is just that.
If it was not illegal to carry concealed, I would do so most of the time. I'm not out to offend anybody, any more than black people were out to offend others by drinking from "white water fountains", or sitting at the front of the bus; but oh my, was THAT offensive!
If you are offended by my arming myself, then you have your own bigotry to deal with. So deal with it.
Gay Pride Parades are offensive to some, does this make them a**holes, as you so eloquently put it?
Ever hear of the Million Moms March? Those people ARE offensive, but that is due to how they conduct themselves. If they would conduct themselves in a mature manner while conducting their activist activities, it would not be offensive, even though I do not agree with their message.
Some people might also have a completely baseless fear of V-Neck sweaters, does this mean that you should change the picture that you display on your site, for fear that someone might be offended?
Face it, exposure breeds tolerance. Whatever your reasons for carrying, openly or concealed, you should not give up your God-Given rights to defend yourself, based on what others might think.
I'll bet George Washington, John Adams, and Ben Franklin did and said some things that were offensive to some folks. Remember THOSE a**holes?"
You bring up some very good points there. I'd be interested to see his response...
He did exactly what I expected him to do -- he ignored it.

XD40coyote

imported post

You left out Maryland, andI wonder about MA and CA? But MD I know for sure, I live in this POS state. Oh wait, I can open carry- at home or at my business or on my property! But other than that- forget it. Can't even do public ccw here, crazy may- issue BS.

vermonter

imported post

"Don't confuse the mindset of "upstate" NY'ers with those in NY city. Upstate is far more conservative & gun friendly. Many upstater's would love to saw off the lower 1/3 of the state & give it to New Jersey".

Being from Vermont I can relate to this. People from New Jersey, Mass, and NY METRO (5 Boros, Westchester, Rockland and LI) are moving to Vermont in DROVES and trying to ruin it here! The claim to be so progressive and liberal, yet they are the first ones at our town meetings fighting wind towers on the mountains so their proprty values are not ruined. These are the biggest hypocrites I have EVER met!

massltca

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:

You left out Maryland, andI wonder about MA and CA? But MD I know for sure, I live in this POS state. Oh wait, I can open carry- at home or at my business or on my property! But other than that- forget it. Can't even do public ccw here, crazy may- issue BS.
Open carry is legal in Massachusetts, but will most likely result in your LTC being revoked. I open carry in my car and while hiking, that's about the most you can get away with here.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

reefteach wrote:
Ifhis name sounds familiar, it is because he does a piece on NRA News every Wednesday. He is a radio talk show guy from Rochester NY.

http://www.lonsberry.com/writings.cfm?story=2270&go=4

I'm not bothered by a gun on your hip, but some people would be. And we gun owners don't make any friends when we rudely ignore the opinions of those people.
And we may incite a fight we don't want. If our common sense doesn't tell us to keep our pistols out of sight, our neighbors might push for a law that will.
And that wouldn't be good for anyone.
Blah, Blah, Blah.

There is also reference to our Utah OCers.

The blog allows comments, and he responds to a good deal of them.
That is completely contradictory...

So keep your pistols out of sight, or else you will have to keep your pistols out of sight...

Does this make ANY sense??