• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bible-toting grandma VS armed robbers

imperialism2024

imported post

Yes, she is the one deserving a medal.

I guess this is a slap in the face to, "robbers don't care if their victims have guns, and they're just going to shoot the person who has a gun and keep committing their crime" argument.

imperialism2024

imported post

Boom Shakalaka wrote:
Pretty funny how the "big mean robbers" ran like babies from granny with a .32 :lol:
I wouldn't really attribute it to cowardice. It's intelligence. Most street criminals want to avoid danger, and pick the easiest targets. And they hate guns, at least when other people have them. Granted, there's a small number of hardened criminals who are cold-blooded killers, and those are the ones we hear about, but they are moreso the exception that the norm.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Also, the ones that don't mind targets that might be armed are likely to go after people like low tier drug dealers, who often carry much larger sums of cash on their person than the guy out for an evening jog.

possumboy

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Boom Shakalaka wrote:
Pretty funny how the "big mean robbers" ran like babies from granny with a .32 :lol:
I wouldn't really attribute it to cowardice. It's intelligence. Most street criminals want to avoid danger, and pick the easiest targets. And they hate guns, at least when other people have them. Granted, there's a small number of hardened criminals who are cold-blooded killers, and those are the ones we hear about, but they are moreso the exception that the norm.

It is cowardice. They are scared of getting shot. It is common for to target people they see as easy targets. Just because they act like "big mean robbers" before someone stands up, doesn't mean they are not cowards at heart.

imperialism2024

imported post

possumboy wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Boom Shakalaka wrote:

It is cowardice. They are scared of getting shot. It is common for to target people they see as easy targets. Just because they act like "big mean robbers" before someone stands up, doesn't mean they are not cowards at heart.
Mmm I believe you're overlooking objective qualities in order to demonize criminals. Yes, they're criminals, but that doesn't make true whatever the general public decides to believe about them. Most street criminals, the ones looking to make money, will make/steal money the easiest way possible. It's that simple. Unless you're proposing that anyone who ever decides to do anything the least dangerous is a coward. If you have to travel through a rough part of town containing black gangs, do you do it quickly and quietly, or do you walk through while waving a Confederate flag and shouting "Kill the niggers!"? If you choose option number one, you're a coward, obviously... you're picking the safe way.

It's just good sense to pick the easiest way.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Not to pull a hank, but I think it was kinda stupid for the woman to shoot through the window... I mean that's essentially firing warning shots, which in most states can get you charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm. I don't know how well she could see through the window (apparently it was clear glass) but regardless, throwing a bullet into an openbuilding could easily ricochet and hurt someone.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think I, personally, would ever want to shoot at anything except the body of an attacker. On the other hand, her decision accomplished the desired outcome: the attack stopped and no one was hurt. That's just a really sticky situation to be in...trapped in a small room with a potentially armed BG trying to knock the door down...

I guess it wasn't stupid, but it was risky. She made a decision that could have ended badly, but luckily ended well. Good for her, lol.

TEX1N

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Not to pull a hank, but I think it was kinda stupid for the woman to shoot through the window... I mean that's essentially firing warning shots, which in most states can get you charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm. I don't know how well she could see through the window (apparently it was clear glass) but regardless, throwing a bullet into an openbuilding could easily ricochet and hurt someone.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think I, personally, would ever want to shoot at anything except the body of an attacker. On the other hand, her decision accomplished the desired outcome: the attack stopped and no one was hurt. That's just a really sticky situation to be in...trapped in a small room with a potentially armed BG trying to knock the door down...

I guess it wasn't stupid, but it was risky. She made a decision that could have ended badly, but luckily ended well. Good for her, lol.
While I agree with you that firing a warning shot it not a good thing, in this case I think she was ok because it looked like to me she shot right when the assailant was in her view.

Basically her intentions may have been misguided (intending to shoot a warning shot), but I think her actions were justified (actually shooting at the perp), both legally and morally.

Another thing that could have happen was that she tried to kill the attacker, as the timing in the video suggested to me, and then didn't want to come out and say it later when being interviewed.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah...well at least things turned out ok. And yeah, I wanna know what kind of door that was, so I can put one on my house lol.

imperialism2024

imported post

TEX1N wrote:
Another thing that could have happen was that she tried to kill the attacker, as the timing in the video suggested to me, and then didn't want to come out and say it later when being interviewed.
That's interesting. Or maybe she was trying to shoot at one of the BGs and missed :)

ETA: But on a more serious note, she might have been nervous, pointed the gun in the general direction, and pulled the trigger without really consciously wanting to pull it at that point. A twitch of sorts...