• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the Parameters of OC in OH?

moonerFNFAL

imported post

Hey all, I'm a bit of a noobie to the gun world and definitely an open-carrynovice by definition; I didn't even know it was an option until tonight! Igo to school here in Akron, and the recent armed-crime spike got me interested in self-defense options. I know this is the place for stories, but I had a few Q's;

1) Does open-carry only pertain to handguns?

2) If so, what are my options for OC if I'm not old enough to own a handgun?

3) If OC does not pertain only to handguns, what are the limits on small-arms that I can carry? i.e. rifles and shotguns?

I have a feeling that I couldnt just stroll down the street with a *semi-auto*AK-47 loaded and ready to rock...but if I had the rifle unloaded and a low-capmag in plain sight, would that be kosher as far as OC goes? I mean I am a good 2 years away from being able to purchase/carry a handgun, and people are dropping like flies in my area...I mean two persons were robbed at gunpoint and one shot in the back RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE METROPOLITAN POLICE STATION...assailant was never found. I feel the necessity to take my personal safety into my own hands and I am wondering if this is the route for me.

Thankyou very much for your time

Matt

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Need more info.

What State?
City, town or country?
Your age?

Carrying on to school property is a BIG NONO.

If you are between 18 and 21 you are in limboville!!!!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Legba

imported post

The standard word of caution is that whereas it is not itself illegal to open carry a firearm in Ohio (which includes both handguns and long guns), the police will likely take an interest in what you are doing, and they will probably initiate a "voluntary [Terry] stop" at some point. They will disarm you for the duration of the stop, and depending on the circumstances and what you say (if they are responding to a citizen complaint or just saw you walking around), they may well charge/arrest you for any number of things, including carrying a concealed weapon, improper transportation of a firearm (if you are in a vehicle), inducing panic, disorderly conduct, etc. If you are doing nothing other than openly carrying a weapon, they won't have a case. It won't necessarily stop them from dragging you through the system, though. Arguing the law with them will NOT win them over either. Either they know and respect the law, or they don't. It's a crapshoot as to what kind of cop you will run into.

Open carry is unusual here, and OCing a long gun is really unheard of apart from hunting, so your AK will presumably attract a lot of unwanted attention. Good luck.

-ljp

Legba

imported post

Yeah, I'm still squarely in the thick of the fray. I'm putting on an official mask of confidence about my case, but it scares the hell out of me. I could go to prison for a year and a half, lose my guns and my gun rights, and never get another job worth having. But at least I'll get my van back now (I may need it to live in after all this)...

Cross-post: Good news as to my civil suit in the Ohio vs. Legba thread. Everything everyone is implying about my lawyer beingineffectual does seem to apply to the lawyer for the police department, so that's a plus.

-ljp

moonerFNFAL

imported post

Yeah, I read about your predicament Legba, that is extremely unfortunate and not to mention somewhat unjust...

Thanks for your advice all of you, and the links Color of Law posted were very helpful. Just and update on the situation here in Akron, the recent chain of robberies at gunpoint is being linked to gang-related activities...the perpetrators tell their victims that they are collecting a "hood-tax"... I think the audacity of these criminals calls for heightened self-defense measures on the behalf of the citizens and not just the typical "bolstering of patrols" on the hands of the police.

Splat!!

imported post

...the perpetrators tell their victims that they are collecting a "hood-tax"...

Hell, send them my way I pay in gold............Each golden brick weighs 230 grains. Theprettiest gold you ever seen..............:celebrate

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Attn. Splat, check out the Andrew Jackson Society

http://www.andrewjacksonsociety.org/

Also see http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

"Federal Reserve notes are not redeemable in gold, silver or any other commodity, and receive no backing by anything This has been the case since 1933. The notes have no value for themselves, but for what they will buy. In another sense, because they are legal tender, Federal Reserve notes are "backed" by all the goods and services in the economy."

Also see: http://www.liberty-watch.com/volume03/issue08/coverstory.php

I'll take gold or silver coin for payment over ferns any day.

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you are over 18, in Ohio you can open carry a handgun. You have to purchase the handgun in a private sale or get it as a gift if you are under 21.

moonerFNFAL

imported post

awesome, a fellow anarchist ;-)

thanks for that... I was totally unaware that I could own anything other than a long-rifle, always just associated the fact that I couldn't buy it with not being able to own it. I'm not sure how willing I will be to open carry a handgun until I'm 21 (because I'm sure 99% of all cops have no clue that anyone under 21 can carry a handgun, open or not) but my prime curiosity is the carrying of long-rifles in the open.

Do you think they (the cops)would be able to derive some sort of disturbing the peace or inciting panic charge from OC-ing a larger weapon? I know some people would be antsy and anxious about a handgun strapped to your hip, but I would imagine the effect would be magnified the larger the weapon got. Could this result in 'bogus' charges along the lines of disturbing the peace?

Love that comment splat!!!, but I hear that copper-wrapped steel has a higher street value than gold, and I've got enough of that to be the Donald Trump of the hood ;-) They can collect as much tax from me as they want.