• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police say boy, 14, slain in robbery

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pickedthewrong guy. Looks like the victim decided to protect his 5th Amendment right and heleft the scene. Probably had an appointment...

Police say boy, 14, slain in robbery

By JARED JANEShttp://www.2theadvocate.com/news/mailto:jjanes@theadvocate.com
Advocate staff writer
Nov 23, 2007

A 14-year-old boy was shot to death by a man he was trying to rob at gunpoint, police said.

The body of Da’Vonte Reed, 14, 2532 69th Ave., was found about 6:15 a.m. Wednesday, Baton Rouge Police Department spokesman
Sgt. Don Kelly said. Police believe Reed was shot during an armed robbery he was committing with another teenager.

Detectives believe Reed and the other teen were trying to rob a man near the intersection of Charles Street and Mission Drive, Kelly said. The man they were trying to rob pulled out his own gun and fired the shots that killed Reed.

A third person with Reed and the other teenager was also struck by the man’s bullets.

Kelly said police do not believe the wounded person was involved in the robbery and he is not being arrested. He went to the hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening wounds and is a witness in the case.

Reed’s body was eventually dumped by his accomplice in the parking lot of an appliance store at 2441 N. Sherwood Forest Drive, Kelly said.

Police have not found the man who fired the shots, Kelly said.

Detectives are asking him to come forward to give a statement but do not expect him to face charges.

“Our investigation at this time leads us to believe he was a victim of a robbery attempt,” Kelly said. “He fired in self-defense.”

Booked Wednesday night on a count of first-degree murder in the shooting was Demarcus Alexander, 17, Kelly said.

Alexander, of 15442 Becky Lee Drive, can be charged in the fatal shooting because he is accused of being involved in an armed robbery where someone was killed.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/11747416.html

imperialism2024

imported post

But how do we know that the shooter didn't pick a nickel off the ground that belonged to someone else? The kid would have been just and right to use deadly force to punish the thief of another person's property. :uhoh:

In all seriousness, though, good for the guy if this went down like the story says. Especially since an armed mugging seems like it would be the most difficult situation in which to draw and fire a firearm in self-defense.

protector84

imported post

I had a similar incident to this one. Some punk on Thanksgiving morning smashed my window, reached in, and opened the door. Before I even had a chance to get my shotgun, he was already unplugging the TV. So I had no other choice but to mark him "return to sender." Naturally, I didn't want this to ruin a wonderful Thanksgiving meal that I was about to leave to go to. Therefore, I put the guy's body in the recycling bin, and tried to put the whole thing behind me. Oh, I shouldn't have said that. Hank is reading this. :shock:

protector84

imported post

On a more serious note, it is a shame that someone as young as 14 years old is already a hardened criminal. 14 should be the age to catch behavioral problems before they get too serious so that by the time they are 18, they can be reformed into being a better class citizen. As said in previous posts, when people are hardened criminals after being an adult, I really don't believe that many of them are reformable because they have already made their choice as adults to live that kind of life. It ought to tell us something about society when you have hardened criminals that are early teenagers and even pre-teens that are up to armed robberies, burglaries, rapes, and murders. Where are the parents? Dad's probably in prison and Mom's out pulling her pants down so she can get another supply of dope that day. :(Or as in the case of the Columbine kids, I guess they are just at home sedated in front of the TV totally unaware of what is going on right under their noses.

imperialism2024

imported post

protector84 wrote:
On a more serious note, it is a shame that someone as young as 14 years old is already a hardened criminal. 14 should be the age to catch behavioral problems before they get too serious so that by the time they are 18, they can be reformed into being a better class citizen. As said in previous posts, when people are hardened criminals after being an adult, I really don't believe that many of them are reformable because they have already made their choice as adults to live that kind of life. It ought to tell us something about society when you have hardened criminals that are early teenagers and even pre-teens that are up to armed robberies, burglaries, rapes, and murders. Where are the parents? Dad's probably in prison and Mom's out pulling her pants down so she can get another supply of dope that day. :(Or as in the case of the Columbine kids, I guess they are just at home sedated in front of the TV totally unaware of what is going on right under their noses.
Eh, there are very few people who can't be reformed. The answer is proper rehabilitation. Unfortunately, far too many people believe that the best way to improve the life of a teenage gang member is to have him sodomized every day for a few years and then dumped into society and expected to be "reformed".

Mayday

imported post

...just think of the countless potential victims that will now be saved because this young thug is taking a dirt nap! Someone this young, commiting such heinous crimes would surely have become a menace to society.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Mayday wrote:
...just think of the countless potential victims that will now be saved because this young thug is taking a dirt nap!

Oh yeah. But we can count them...

100 million. Plus.

imperialism2024

imported post

Mayday wrote:
...just think of the countless potential victims that will now be saved because this young thug is taking a dirt nap! Someone this young, commiting such heinous crimes would surely have become a menace to society.
Ah, here comes the "good thing someone killed him" crowd. The reason why this is a just shooting is because the victim was acting in self-defense, not because the attacker was doomed to a life of crime.

tarzan1888

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Eh, there are very few people who can't be reformed. The answer is proper rehabilitation. Unfortunately, far too many people believe that the best way to improve the life of a teenage gang member is to have him sodomized every day for a few years and then dumped into society and expected to be "reformed".

It is obvious you haven't spent much time around criminals.

Change comes fromwithin and not without.

Tarzan