• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unarmed at home?

G

imported post

Generally always lock the doors of your homeand vehicle when entering or exiting. And dont leave a loaded firearm in plain sight.

Reasonably secure.. On the coffee table with your door closed is so imo. But with the door locked you are much better off legally. It could have been your friends or someones kid that came in without knocking..

Defensively, well atleast have another weapon 'upstairs' or where ever.

Hef

imported post

The doors to my home and vehicle are always locked, except when passing through them. My carry pistol is within reach virtually every hour of the day, though I am known to leave in the bedroom when showering or using the toilet. My home is secure enough that I can be confident in believing I will have enough warning and opportunity to retrieve my pistol if someone breaks in while I'm showering or taking a number 2.

imperialism2024

imported post

Hef wrote:
The doors to my home and vehicle are always locked, except when passing through them. My carry pistol is within reach virtually every hour of the day, though I am known to leave in the bedroom when showering or using the toilet. My home is secure enough that I can be confident in believing I will have enough warning and opportunity to retrieve my pistol if someone breaks in while I'm showering or taking a number 2.
It's a shame I can't find on YouTube that clip from Pulp Fiction where Vincent Vega walks out of the bathroom and gets shot with his own submachinegun. :lol:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

StrictlySig wrote:
Generally always lock the doors of your homeand vehicle when entering or exiting. And dont leave a loaded firearm in plain sight.

Reasonably secure.. On the coffee table with your door closed is so imo. But with the door locked you are much better off legally. It could have been your friends or someones kid that came in without knocking..

Defensively, well atleast have another weapon 'upstairs' or where ever.

I think as gunowners we have to be totally responsible for our guns.

Even in those situations where we are tired, distracted or when we go to Condition 1.

Leaving a gun out in the open, easily visible to anyone who would walk in an unlocked door is a very chancy thing. It's not only the issue of going to another part of the home and being undefended. That's obviously very important in and of itself, but what we have is a compounded error situation since it's also about what some unauthorized personcould do with a gun they will control just by walking into a room and seeing it on a table.

Now, a gun that would have a safety device that would allow it to fire only when the owner was operating it.....that would be much much safer for situations as described by the OP....

I can't wait for that technology to get mature enough for new products to actually get released to market. Will probably change a lot.

Superlite27

imported post

It's strange, but there is definately a God who watches out for stupid people.

I ALWAYS carry, unless I'm sleeping. (Then my pistol is next to me on the nightstand.)

My father even asked me why I carry when I'm watching T.V. or eating dinner.

I told him that I'm not the one who chooses when a criminal might break in.

Strangely enough, I was once in the kitchen doing something, and when I walked back into my living room, THERE WAS A STRANGE MAN STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM! I didn't even hear him come in. I reached for my Springfield 1911 and would have put two holes into his chest because it scared the HELL out of me..........

.......but it wasn't there!

Turns out, it was some drunk guy who had been at a party next door and went to get something out of his car. Being drunk, he became confused, and instead of returning to the party, he walked into the wrong house.

Lucky for him, there is a merciful God who was watching out for him. In a very rare moment, I wasn't carrying. My pistol was on the nightstand next to my bed. Upon seeing me, his eyes grew large, and he apologized profusely while backing out of the door. (I watched him leave and go next door where I knew there was a party. My neighbor told me the next day aboutone of her friends telling her he had wondered into the wrong house.)

Chances are I wouldn't have shot anyway. There's a split second determination of "kill or be killed" than anyone who carries a gun should instinctively know, so I don't think I would have shot even if I did have my gun.

But.....what if?

What if it hadn't of been some clueless drunk, but a bona-fide criminal?

What if he would have moved towards me instead of looking surprised and backing away?

In some way, I am thankful I didn't have my gun. Not only did it possibly save this innocent (but dumb) man's life, it also taught me a very valuable lesson.

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GUN.

imperialism2024

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
It's strange, but there is definately a God who watches out for stupid people.

I ALWAYS carry, unless I'm sleeping. (Then my pistol is next to me on the nightstand.)

My father even asked me why I carry when I'm watching T.V. or eating dinner.

I told him that I'm not the one who chooses when a criminal might break in.

Strangely enough, I was once in the kitchen doing something, and when I walked back into my living room, THERE WAS A STRANGE MAN STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM! I didn't even hear him come in. I reached for my Springfield 1911 and would have put two holes into his chest because it scared the HELL out of me..........

.......but it wasn't there!

Turns out, it was some drunk guy who had been at a party next door and went to get something out of his car. Being drunk, he became confused, and instead of returning to the party, he walked into the wrong house.

Lucky for him, there is a merciful God who was watching out for him. In a very rare moment, I wasn't carrying. My pistol was on the nightstand next to my bed. Upon seeing me, his eyes grew large, and he apologized profusely while backing out of the door. (I watched him leave and go next door where I knew there was a party. My neighbor told me the next day aboutone of her friends telling her he had wondered into the wrong house.)

Chances are I wouldn't have shot anyway. There's a split second determination of "kill or be killed" than anyone who carries a gun should instinctively know, so I don't think I would have shot even if I did have my gun.

But.....what if?

What if it hadn't of been some clueless drunk, but a bona-fide criminal?

What if he would have moved towards me instead of looking surprised and backing away?

In some way, I am thankful I didn't have my gun. Not only did it possibly save this innocent (but dumb) man's life, it also taught me a very valuable lesson.

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GUN.
It's not some god, it's good judgement. At least you have the good sense to try to identify a threat rather than just shooting blindly at any "criminal" like some may do. Always have your gun and your judgement.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Now, a gun that would have a safety device that would allow it to fire only when the owner was operating it.....that would be much much safer for situations as described by the OP.... I can't wait for that technology to get mature enough for new products to actually get released to market. Will probably change a lot.
Won't change a damn thing. At least not for the good. The Chinese hacked the pentagon; it took 3 days for the iPhone to get hacked; several RIAA related web sites have been hacked and even the email accounts downloaded and published on the web; last month independent US hackers took down the jihadi website that was the platform for a major DoS attack in about 3 hours - get the drift? How many months, days, weeks or maybe just hours before such technology is hacked or bypassed by a criminal? All it is going to do is piss off law abiding citizens who can't let their buddy try out their pistol at the firing range. Or get law abiding people killed when the technology fails or they are handed someone else's gun they can't fire to defend themselves or someone else.

And it is going to not just crack the door open but instead throw it wide open to gun-grabbers using the new technlogy for 1) new restriction on our 2A rights and 2) as a prima facia case for requiring the "retiring" ie confiscation and destruction, of all now antiquated firearms without the new technology, and they'll do it all in the name of child and community safety.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

This change can only happen if the 'market' forgets its reaction when S&W cozied-up with the Clintons and agreed to produce such a 'safe' gun. No one can be against safety; safety is a good tool for tyrants. I will forget S&W's perfidy just before I forget BJClinton's sodomy.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GUN.
Did you ever think about the possibility that a merciful God who was watching out for you?

Why on earth would you shoot and kill a goof with a drunk on who wandered into your home and who was no threat to you?

Becauseyou could?

Makes no sense at all...

You're a very lucky man. I'm thinking that God was looking kindly on you that day...and giving you a lesson upon which you could reflect.Of course, you couldmiss thelesson if you don't see it...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GUN.
Did you ever think about the possibility that a merciful God who was watching out for you?

Why on earth would you shoot and kill a goof with a drunk on who wandered into your home and who was no threat to you?

Becauseyou could?

Makes no sense at all...

You're a very lucky man. I'm thinking that God was looking kindly on you that day...and giving you a lesson upon which you could reflect.Of course, you couldmiss thelesson if you don't see it...
:uhoh: R>C>P Every point you make in that post, Hank, Superlite has already addressed. He clearly said that he didn't think he would have shot. Never did he say he wanted to shoot. Already said he learned a valuable lesson. You may not like his conclusion, but that isn't what you said. Sometimes I read your posts and wonder if I you are reading the same forum as the rest of us.

imperialism2024

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
HankT wrote:
Superlite27 wrote:

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GUN.

Becauseyou could?

Makes no sense at all...

:uhoh: R>C>P Every point you make in that post, Hank, Superlite has already addressed. He clearly said that he didn't think he would have shot. Never did he say he wanted to shoot. Already said he learned a valuable lesson. You may not like his conclusion, but that isn't what you said. Sometimes I read your posts and wonder if I you are reading the same forum as the rest of us.
I was a bit confused by Superlite's post. At some parts, it sounds like he would have shot the drunken gentleman, where at other parts it sounds like he would not have.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Whether Superlite would have or not, it is my opinion that shooting someone just for being in your home is unnecessary. There are possible scenarios (like mine or Superlite's) that prove that keeping your distance between yourself and the intruder until you can identify if he is a threat is the initial goal you should have in mind. If he proves to be a threat, then you should draw and defend yourself. Shooting someone you don't recognize just for being in your home w/ no warning is not a smart thing to do at all.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
Whether Superlite would have or not, it is my opinion that shooting someone just for being in your home is unnecessary. There are possible scenarios (like mine or Superlite's) that prove that keeping your distance between yourself and the intruder until you can identify if he is a threat is the initial goal you should have in mind. If he proves to be a threat, then you should draw and defend yourself. Shooting someone you don't recognize just for being in your home w/ no warning is not a smart thing to do at all.

I agree it is probably unnessary-though it may be unavoidable given some circumstances. It would be a tragedy for one of us, or Superlite, or vmathis to end up shooting someone that we allowed to walk into our home because we forgot to lock a door that should be locked.

It would be a tragedy for both the shootee and the shooter. It's not like there are not costs for shooting the drunk he picks the wrong apartment door to open and walk through....or for shooting the friend who decided to just walk into your home because the door was unlocked. Legal liability might be restricted for shooting someone underthese circumstances but it would be quite absurd, after all the excitement was done, to have shot/killed someone who was no threat at all. That would be something the shooter would have to livewith for the rest of his life--hardly a pleasant prospect, especially when the shooter contributed to creating the circumstances of the shooting/killing.

Leaving the door unlocked, at some level, is performing in Condition White. Which requires instant and rushed recovery once the resident realizes reality. In the two cases being discussed here, the obvious solutions are to keep the dman door locked--not resolving to carry a gun more often inside the apartment orthanking God for his watchfulness of drunks.

Lock the dman door!

expvideo

imported post

At my place the door is always locked, whether I'm home or not. My 9mm is usually with me, unless I'm having a drink, but even then it's at least in the same room, I just don't touch it. My fiancee's .380 is in the bedroom on the nightstand, and the AK is in the closet with 2 loaded magazines sitting next to it. I bring my gun with me to the bathroom and everywhere else. The only time I am ever unarmed is when I'm showering in the morning (in which case my fiancee is still sleeping next toboth guns that are on the nightstand) and when I'm at work (in which case my gun is locked in the safe that is bolted to the floor of my car).

I used to leave doors unlocked when I was at home, but fortunately my ex-roommate was in the habit of always locking the door. This was frustrating at first, but it became a great habit.

BTW, when we sleep at night we lock the door to our bedroom as well, so there are two locked doors between us and possible home invaders, leaving enough time to wake up, grab a gun and a surefire, and be prepared.

Superlite27

imported post

It's moot.

The situation never got that far. Flip a coin to decide what MIGHT have happened, and your answer will still be hypothetical.

You talk about purposely killing a poor defenseless soul who was unfortunate to misjudge his destination.

Trust me. It sounds cut and dried.

What really happens when you enter a room that was unoccupied when you left it and see a person in it:

In a blink of an eye you..........

1) become aware.

2) automatically accept that the person is someone you know. ("Hey Tom, what are you doing in here?")

3) realize (TO AN ALARMING DEGREE) this is not Tom. As a matter of fact....THIS IS A COMPLETE STRANGER.

I am a firm believer that were people to COMPLETELY CONTROL every situation they were in, nobody would ever be forcibly killed or injured. This is why police are authoritarian. They try to control situations to reduce the risk of criminals doing things that are not within their control. This is the crux of most encounters with others.....Who is in control?

When your friends and family are near, you relax your control because of trust and familiarity.

When a stranger is discovered in your "sanctuary", there has been no trust established. You cannot reasonably predict their behavior. In order to protect your life, you must establish control of the situation.

What means do you have to guarantee it?

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GUN.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
It's moot.

The situation never got that far. Flip a coin to decide what MIGHT have happened, and your answer will still be hypothetical.

You talk about purposely killing a poor defenseless soul who was unfortunate to misjudge his destination.

Trust me. It sounds cut and dried.

What really happens when you enter a room that was unoccupied when you left it and see a person in it:

In a blink of an eye you..........

1) become aware.

2) automatically accept that the person is someone you know. ("Hey Tom, what are you doing in here?")

3) realize (TO AN ALARMING DEGREE) this is not Tom. As a matter of fact....THIS IS A COMPLETE STRANGER.

I am a firm believer that were people to COMPLETELY CONTROL every situation they were in, nobody would ever be forcibly killed or injured. This is why police are authoritarian. They try to control situations to reduce the risk of criminals doing things that are not within their control. This is the crux of most encounters with others.....Who is in control?

When your friends and family are near, you relax your control because of trust and familiarity.

When a stranger is discovered in your "sanctuary", there has been no trust established. You cannot reasonably predict their behavior. In order to protect your life, you must establish control of the situation.

What means do you have to guarantee it?

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR GUN.
Excellent post!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Hey! Great idea for cleaning your gun after a trip to the range. Two birds with one stone. You clean your body, you clean your gun at the same time! Wow!! Great idea.
Be sure to use Hoppe's to wash both. :D The Hoppe's probably would feel just great....

Hef

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Hef wrote:
It's a shame I can't find on YouTube that clip from Pulp Fiction where Vincent Vega walks out of the bathroom and gets shot with his own submachinegun. :lol:
Luckily, I don't own a submachinegun. :p