• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone know of a good cc/oc holster for a walther p99?

Nitrox314

imported post

I have a Walther P99 .40 S&W that I have had since 2004. I have a safe I have kept it in for home protection. Now I have bought my own home, and I live in a shaddy neighborhood, so I finally put in for my CPL. Should be getting it DEC 7th. Not much good without a holster, so I was hoping that some of the seasoned OC/CC'ers would have good suggestions. I do a bit of backwoods hiking from time to time, but I also would like to use it for daily use.

In the military I would keep the holster on my drawing hand side (Right). The holster was just a cheap OC military plastic holster for a M9 9mm Beretta. Maybe OC would be better for a larger pistol like mine? Not really sure. Anyone CC a p99?

vmathis12019

State Researcher

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Nitrox, I've been carrying a SW99 .40 for quite some time now, which is almost identical to your P99. The holster selection for our guns is JUST shy of perfect. If you dig you can find a lot of good holsters. Don Hume, Galco, Blackhawk, Safariland, and many others all make good holster for the P99.

If you'd like, you can describe what you're looking for in a holster, and I will be able to make some better suggestions. Are you looking for leather, nylon, kydex-type material, or are you undecided? Would you like a holster that could be used for both OC and CC, or a separate one for each? What level and what kind of retention are you interested in, if any?

I'll tell you a little bit about what I carry my SW99 in. I have a Safariland ALS Belt Holster, Model 6377, as my primary open carry holster. I have a Galco leather belt holster that works well for concealed and open carry, and doesn't have retention, aside from constant pressure the holster keeps on the sidearm. I use this when I'm wearing a jacket most of the time, or I'm not as concerned with retention. I have a cheap uncle-mike's IWB holster that I use for concealed carry, all though I don't carry that way often. It's actually very comfortable to wear, but the full-sized grip makes it difficult to hide under a shirt. Oh yeah, and I also have an uncle mike's side bet holster with a thumb break. It carries almost the same as the leather Galco. The difference is that when you release the thumb break, there's almost no pressure on the gun at all. It stays in during normal activity, but I bet a good jump or roll could shake it loose. With the thumbstrap on, though, it'svery secure. I carry in that holster when I'm going casual. It's nice because it folds flat and can be packed into an overnight bag easily.

Here's a pic of my gear (ignore the extra stuff). All the SW99 holster are in the top row. If you'd like the look of those, I can give you more info on them. If you're looking for something else, let me know and I'll let you know what I've found. I did a lot of research on holsters before settling on the ones that I have now, so I should be able to save you some work lol.
9867gear.JPG

Nitrox314

imported post

Heres another question. On the side armor that vmathis12019 mentioned, they say it will only work with first Generation P99's. How can you tell what gen they are. I wen through all my manuals and paperwork from when I bought it, and I don't see anything. Anyone know?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
Heres another question. On the side armor that vmathis12019 mentioned, they say it will only work with first Generation P99's. How can you tell what gen they are. I wen through all my manuals and paperwork from when I bought it, and I don't see anything. Anyone know?

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg14-e.htm

Take a look at the pics there, it makes it very clear. Gen1's trigger guard is concave, gen2 is convex.Gen1's trigger guard has a hump under the trigger, Gen2 does not. Gen1 has an accessory rail, Gen2 has a picatinny rail. Gen2 has a taller rear slide grip pattern with wider grooves.

There are other differences both internally and externally, but those are the most obvious ones. The reason some holsters only work for one and not the other is because of the change in the shape of the trigger guard.

One thing to keep in mind, too, is that an SW99 will fit in MOST P99 holsters, but a P99 WILL NOT fit in a holster made specifically for the SW99. Granted, holsters made soley for the SW99 aren't very common. Most manfactures mold the holster for the P99, since the SW99 will fit. (An exception to this is the Serpa holsters that will be coming out for the P99 in January. Because the Serpa utilizes a trigger guard lock, the SW99 wont fit.)

OH YEAH, btw, Serpa will have a holster for the P99 as of January '08 lol. Does that answer all of your questions? :)

Nitrox314

imported post

That completely answered my question. It looks like I have a 1st gen. That 2nd Gen looks really different. I haven't seen a 2nd gen before.

THANKS!!! I think I might get that serpa holster when it comes out in Jan.

Nitrox314

imported post

Thanks Guys, I went to sportsman warehouse in Mount Vernon and picked up a Kydex paddle holster. I tried (GI)Joes and they didn't sell any holsters specifically designed for the P99. Since this is not the best holster for OC (lacks restraint), I am going to save some money to get the Serpa holster when that comes out co I canOC.