• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does OC Deter Crime, Not sure but I think it did yesterday

Lthrnck

imported post

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday in Englewood, Ohio. I was OC'ing as usual. I had finished my shopping and was approaching the cashier's. There was 3 cashier's stand out at the end of their aisle waiting for customer's. As I approached them the one cashier closest to me said to the cashier standing next to her " Can you get the manager to call security, that guy has been standing up there by my register for a long time."

At first I tought she was talking about me, but then she said... I'll help you here, Sir.. So I went up to her register. At this point I saw this guy standing there. She spoke to him again, and asked him if he need some help.

This guy turned and glared and this lady, told her "NO" in a very unfriendly voice. I felt uneasy with this demeanor also, but I didn't say anything.

We then made eye contact, and he was glaring at me and it looked like he was about to say something, then he glanced down. I guess he was sizing me up. He couldn't miss my sidearm. His eyes change from what appeared to be anger to opps I might have just screwed up here.. but whatever he didn't say a word to me. Gave me one more quick glance and left.

I don't know what he was up to, but he sure didn't stick around when he caught a look at my Beretta. So I may or may not have prevented something just by OC'ing. But you never know do you..?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
SNIP So I may or may not have prevented something just by OC'ing. But you never know do you..?

I vote that OC did prevent something.

Perhaps not robbery; but something. His leaving right when he noticed your weapon pretty much says it all.

Was he going to reach in the till when it was open?Was he just nuts and wanted to go off on somebody? Become verbally abusive or assault a cashier?

Lthrnck

imported post

You know Citizen, that's what I was thinking. When she opened the cash register was he gonna grab the cash from the drawer. I guess we will never know for sure..

But if he had done that, I would have let him take it. Not gonna draw down on someone just for money.

FogRider

imported post

I've had something very similar happen to me on several occasions. I was in a convenience store (same one both times), when a couple guys walked in. One would stand by the door, the other would browse the isles. Then one browsing saw my sidearm, got a little bugeyed and made a beeline for the door. Now, I can't call this proof of criminal intent, but it seemed rather suspicious behavior to me and the cashier.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FogRider wrote:
I've had something very similar happen to me on several occasions. I was in a convenience store (same one both times), when a couple guys walked in. One would stand by the door, the other would browse the isles. Then one browsing saw my sidearm, got a little bugeyed and made a beeline for the door. Now, I can't call this proof of criminal intent, but it seemed rather suspicious behavior to me and the cashier.

The give-away is that people almost never browse the aisles ina convenience store. They almost always come in looking for a particular something, go to the aisle where it might be located, and look for it. This might happen more than once, if they have to look for items because they don't know where they are in the particular store.

And they almost never have someone who could also be a lookout standing at the door.

Add a few other indicators: Does the clerk recognize them as frequent customers? Areeither of the "customers" stealing glancesat the clerk?

As theindications start adding up, your cashier should be on the phone to the police asking for them to stop by and check on things. It won't hurt to be on the phone with the police already if a robbery starts.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It's pure speculation as to whether or not OCing did prevented a crime. I would say that OCing did something, but it's hard to know for sure exactly what without interviewing the odd guy and asking him what was going on. Not matter what, I'm glad for your sake that he cleared out and he didn't have to find out what his problem was.

Marco

imported post

:lol:"hey dude, you stopped me from doing something really stupid! I was bout to rob that lady but then I saw yur uhgat and well huh didn't" "thanks man".

Joe Sixpack

imported post

although i do not remember the source there was a report complied from criminal serveys..

and they freely admitted they thought twice about messing with someone or breaking into their house if they thought they had a gun.

i've also heard weapon carrying citizens are 50% less likely to be harmed in a robbery.

the guy might have been pissed.. maybe he had a fight with his girl friend or something.. i've been there.. pissed but not pissed enough to actually leave'em at the store..

or maybe he was waiting to do something.. pretty stupid though since wal-mart has better then avg security imo.. both a guard on patrol outside and about camera in about every direction you look.

but you could very well have averted something there you just never know.

in Israeli from what i understand not only is gun ownership unhindered.. they will even contract you out weapons from the militarizes armory.. even full automatics.. it's not just legal it's encouraged, if you sign a promise for life long training, even women are encouraged to train.

it's also encouraged to carry a weapon with you, this not only is a strong deterrent to ground invasion but extremely likely that someone in the market place has a weapon.. much greater probability then here in the US.

Lew

imported post

Joe Sixpack wrote:
i've also heard weapon carrying citizens are 50% less likely to be harmed in a robbery.
You mean 900% more likely to be killed with their own gun, right? ;)