• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive encounter

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

I just went into "port o subs" to grab some lunch. There were a couple families in the lobby and a man in his late 40's with his father. There were babbling with the cashier about the strip, when they noticed my Glock. The guy perks up with "hey, we got a cop in the house!" Conversation follow something like this:

Me: I'm not a cop, Sir.
Him: O, do you work at a pawn shop?
Me: No, Sir. I'm just a guy
Him: (turning to his father) See dad, that's what I was tellin' ya' its like the wild wild west out here.
Him: How long did it take to get your permit, they told me 6 months.
Me: You don't need a permit to open carry, this is an anomalous State. So long as the weapon is in a holster on your hip or leg, basically where it can be seen, its perfectly legal.
Him: But the guys down at Sunset Station were tellin' me I'd have to wait 6 months for a background check?
Me: Try 3 days.. and that's only for your first pistol purchased in Clack County... they are full of shit. After the initial check, you can buy as many guns as you can afford.. no "1 a month" law here either.
Him: No shit...
Me: If you want to know more, try going to Opencarry.org all the info is on there.
Him: but you need like a sheriff's card, right?
Me: Nope, don't even need to register it anymore. Reciprocity was just passed.
Him: Wow, its not like that in Maryland where I'm from...
Me: :)
Him: Hell, I deliver pizzas out here, and there are some good neighborhoods I wouldn't go in without a gun.
Me: Well, now is the time, go get armed, and carry a first aid kit in your car. The life you're most likely to save may be your own.

By that time I had payed for my food and was tipping my hat and exiting. everyone in the lobby waved and said "goodbye, come back soon."

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

I agree. It's always nice to hear someone who is open to actually learning about the laws.

Here in Alabama, folklore and falsehood is passed off so much as actual law that whenever you try to convince someone of something (like the ability to get a pistol permit at age 18 or that AL CHPs are good in other states with reciprocity... just to name the arguments I got in THIS week), all you get is a response something like "Well I've been here for x years andI know what the damn law is."

lordnitrox

imported post

Always a good thing to know people are learning the truth about gun laws.

Marco

imported post

Good Encounter.:cool:

smile_zipit.gif