Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: We need an "ignore" button

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post

    An ignore button would allow the trolls to know no one is listening, and help avoid thread hijacks.

    Can we add them?

  2. #2
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    ama-gi wrote:
    An ignore button would allow the trolls to know no one is listening, and help avoid thread hijacks.

    Can we add them?
    How about some self-restraint. Can you not help yourself from listening without an ignore button?

    I'm not trying to mock you, but I'm not thinking it necessary. On that some token, I don't think its a horrible idea, but again unnecessary.


  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fairfax, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,244

    Post imported post

    openryan wrote:
    ama-gi wrote:
    An ignore button would allow the trolls to know no one is listening, and help avoid thread hijacks.

    Can we add them?
    How about some self-restraint. Can you not help yourself from listening without an ignore button?

    I'm not trying to mock you, but I'm not thinking it necessary. On that some token, I don't think its a horrible idea, but again unnecessary.
    It's a good point, Ryan. One of the benefits of an ignore button that simply ignoring trolls doesn't have is that, in most cases, each user can see in their profile how many people are ignoring them. It let's the troll know no one is listening.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Arlington, Washington, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    I haven't been around for very long but i haven't seen to much trouble with trolls. They usually create an account and post a few times to rile up the members and then move on. Personally i've never got the whole troll thing.

    Like all things annoying, ignore it and they shall leave.

  5. #5
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    nofoa wrote:
    I haven't been around for very long but i haven't seen to much trouble with trolls. They usually create an account and post a few times to rile up the members and then move on. Personally i've never got the whole troll thing.

    A lot (most) of the time, "troll" is just a euphemism for someone with a differing opinion.

    When certain people with weak communication skillz cannot effectively argue, debate, discuss issues with someone they disagree with on a discussion forum, they must call them:

    a) an anti (Brady, MMMer, etc.)

    b) a liberal

    c) a troll

    d) someone who doesn't own guns

    e) someone who is prohibited from owning guns

    f) someone who doesn't shoot guns

    g) a woman

    h) a pedophile

    i) a retard

    j) a bad person

    k) an idiot

    et cetera, et cetera...


    Most of the time these same people will announce they are "ignoring" someone and periodically will pop up to comment on posts by people that they are supposedly "ignoring." It's pretty funny.

    The "ignoring" features are right at everyone's fingere tips--right now:

  6. #6
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,606

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    nofoa wrote:
    I haven't been around for very long but i haven't seen to much trouble with trolls. They usually create an account and post a few times to rile up the members and then move on. Personally i've never got the whole troll thing.

    A lot (most) of the time, "troll" is just a euphemism for someone with a differing opinion.

    When certain people with weak communication skillz cannot effectively argue, debate, discuss issues with someone they disagree with on a discussion forum, they must call them:

    a) an anti (Brady, MMMer, etc.)

    b) a liberal

    c) a troll

    d) someone who doesn't own guns

    e) someone who is prohibited from owning guns

    f) someone who doesn't shoot guns

    g) a woman

    h) a pedophile

    i) a retard

    j) a bad person

    k) an idiot

    et cetera, et cetera...


    Most of the time these same people will announce they are "ignoring" someone and periodically will pop up to comment on posts by people that they are supposedly "ignoring." It's pretty funny.

    The "ignoring" features are right at everyone's fingere tips--right now:
    I think I already said... a dash of self-restraint goes a long way... or at least a quite a few threads...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    A lot (most) of the time, "troll" is just a euphemism for someone with a differing opinion.
    True.

    Then again, now that I'm on the dark side of this forum, I guess I can understand that a bit better...

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    'Troll' is not 'euphemism' but epithet. "Words mean things" (Rush H. Limbaugh, yata yata yata) and there is a difference between 'euphemism' and 'epithet'.

    In the earlier days of the 'net, 'troll' was defined "as someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.[1]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

    Troll as "euphemism" is merely dismissive of another's opinion.

    Some here wield their rhetorical-razors as bludgeons - and are disturbed by the lack of effect. IOW, alligator-mouths overloading hummingbird intellects.

    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP *******

  9. #9
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts
    593

    Post imported post

    I believe that an ignore button will be counter-productive to our cause.

    Over the years, I have read posts (or had conversations) that made my head spin in anger, frustration and amazement at their apparent ignorance, arrogance and lack of knowledge. However, I made every effort to reply in a friendly, understanding and non-judgemental way. Some people are just jerks and the will always be jerks. Most just don't know how much they don't know. They repeat what they have been told because no one has told them differently.

    If we want these folks to grow into good examples of the "gun culture" we need to be paitient with them and lead them forward, not push them back.

    Many of us are older and wiser because someone took the time when we were young and foolish, shouldn't we do the same?

    LoveMyCountry

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    +1 Say 'Hi' to Bro. Dave in Priest River (Silver Woods B.C.) when you have the opportunity.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •