• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We need an "ignore" button

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

ama-gi wrote:
An ignore button would allow the trolls to know no one is listening, and help avoid thread hijacks.

Can we add them?
How about some self-restraint. Can you not help yourself from listening without an ignore button?

I'm not trying to mock you, but I'm not thinking it necessary. On that some token, I don't think its a horrible idea, but again unnecessary.

sjhipple

imported post

openryan wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
An ignore button would allow the trolls to know no one is listening, and help avoid thread hijacks.

Can we add them?
How about some self-restraint. Can you not help yourself from listening without an ignore button?

I'm not trying to mock you, but I'm not thinking it necessary. On that some token, I don't think its a horrible idea, but again unnecessary.
It's a good point, Ryan. One of the benefits of an ignore button that simply ignoring trolls doesn't have is that, in most cases, each user can see in their profile how many people are ignoring them. It let's the troll know no one is listening.

nofoa

imported post

I haven't been around for very long but i haven't seen to much trouble with trolls. They usually create an account and post a few times to rile up the members and then move on. Personally i've never got the whole troll thing.

Like all things annoying, ignore it and they shall leave.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

nofoa wrote:
I haven't been around for very long but i haven't seen to much trouble with trolls. They usually create an account and post a few times to rile up the members and then move on. Personally i've never got the whole troll thing.

A lot (most) of the time, "troll" is just a euphemism for someone with a differing opinion.

When certain people with weak communication skillz cannot effectively argue, debate, discuss issues with someone they disagree with on a discussion forum, they must call them:

a) an anti (Brady, MMMer, etc.)

b) a liberal

c) a troll

d) someone who doesn't own guns

e) someone who is prohibited from owning guns

f) someone who doesn't shoot guns

g) a woman

h) a pedophile

i) a retard

j) a bad person

k) an idiot

et cetera, et cetera...

Most of the time these same people will announce they are "ignoring" someone and periodically will pop up to comment on posts by people that they are supposedly "ignoring." It's pretty funny.

The "ignoring" features are right at everyone's fingere tips--right now:
105d1082378301-scroll-bar-code-scroll.gif
10260599.jpg

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
nofoa wrote:

A lot (most) of the time, "troll" is just a euphemism for someone with a differing opinion.

When certain people with weak communication skillz cannot effectively argue, debate, discuss issues with someone they disagree with on a discussion forum, they must call them:

a) an anti (Brady, MMMer, etc.)

b) a liberal

c) a troll

d) someone who doesn't own guns

e) someone who is prohibited from owning guns

f) someone who doesn't shoot guns

g) a woman

h) a pedophile

i) a retard

j) a bad person

k) an idiot

et cetera, et cetera...

Most of the time these same people will announce they are "ignoring" someone and periodically will pop up to comment on posts by people that they are supposedly "ignoring." It's pretty funny.

The "ignoring" features are right at everyone's fingere tips--right now:
105d1082378301-scroll-bar-code-scroll.gif
10260599.jpg
I think I already said... a dash of self-restraint goes a long way... or at least a quite a few threads...:lol:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

'Troll' is not 'euphemism' but epithet. "Words mean things" (Rush H. Limbaugh, yata yata yata) and there is a difference between 'euphemism' and 'epithet'.

In the earlier days of the 'net, 'troll' was defined "as someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum or group with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.[1]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Troll as "euphemism" is merely dismissive of another's opinion.

Some here wield their rhetorical-razors as bludgeons - and are disturbed by the lack of effect. IOW, alligator-mouths overloading hummingbird intellects.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

I believe that an ignore button will be counter-productive to our cause.

Over the years, I have read posts (or had conversations) that made my head spin in anger, frustration and amazement at their apparent ignorance, arrogance and lack of knowledge. However, I made every effort to reply in a friendly, understanding and non-judgemental way. Some people are just jerks and the will always be jerks. Most just don't know how much they don't know. They repeat what they have been told because no one has told them differently.

If we want these folks to grow into good examples of the "gun culture" we need to be paitient with them and lead them forward, not push them back.

Many of us are older and wiser because someone took the time when we were young and foolish, shouldn't we do the same?

LoveMyCountry