• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer Education

Hillbillly

imported post

Last week I had to go to the Court House in Seattle to get some paper work....as I walked in off of 4Th ave there was no metal detectors ...went to the proper floor got the papers on my way out I see two Seattle police officers and one King county..I stoped to talk to them about OC one told me that I could not do that in the City of Seattle...the one county officer and the other Seattle officer told me that as long as it was a "legal" pistol it was OK ( didn't even need a permit ) I thanked them and left as I did I could hear them starting to argue about the OC issue ....I think that if we want more people to feel at ease and be acustomed to seeing OC the police need to be iformed the it is OK

heresolong

imported post

Many of the people on this board carry the copy of the training bulletins that has been put together. That might have been a nice thing to have had to hand to the officers.

Agent 47

imported post

I have had the OC conversation with around 100 officers from all different departments. Amongst younger officers fresh out of the academy about 90% insist it is illegal. Amongst the more experienced officers about 90% know it is legal...... They really need to talk to each other more.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Maybe a group of us should attend the next academy graduation ceremony.

Jim

joeroket

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
I have had the OC conversation with around 100 officers from all different departments. Amongst younger officers fresh out of the academy about 90% insist it is illegal. Amongst the more experienced officers about 90% know it is legal...... They really need to talk to each other more.
Bingo. There will always be issues when there is a lack of communication inside departments. All it takes is a few officers to "know" it is illegal and it will cause headaches.

j2l3

imported post

Hillbillly wrote:
Last week I had to go to the Court House in Seattle to get some paper work....as I walked in off of 4Th ave there was no metal detectors ...went to the proper floor got the papers on my way out I see two Seattle police officers and one King county..I stoped to talk to them about OC one told me that I could not do that in the City of Seattle...the one county officer and the other Seattle officer told me that as long as it was a "legal" pistol it was OK ( didn't even need a permit ) I thanked them and left as I did I could hear them starting to argue about the OC issue ....I think that if we want more people to feel at ease and be acustomed to seeing OC the police need to be iformed the it is OK

If there weren't any metal detectors, you weren't in the courthouse. That courthouse has had detectors for years past and will have them for years to come. Most likely you were in the County Administration Building across the street. It has no metal detectors at all.

The courthouse fills the block between 3rd and 4th. The admin building fills the block between 4th and 5th.

mikebco

imported post

Since the shooting in the King County Courthouse in 1995 you cannot enter the building without passing through security screening which includes metal detectors and x-ray machines. LEO can enter the Courthouse with a firearm only if on Offical Business!