• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed carry in another country

swatpro911

imported post

can you take your gun in another country if you are visiting that country and have US gun permit and you are US citizen? Do you need any special requirements besides declaring with the airlines.?

BIG E

imported post

I would say check the laws of the country in question. You can find the rules for traveling at the airport.

I would also say leave it at home. Personally, even if I had the OK to carry in another country I would refrain. You had better be completely versed in their laws. I would not want any trouble in another country.

Good luck in finding a country that will allow you to carry. Might have a easier time catching a fart in the wind.:p

IMHO

hsmith

imported post

Join the Marines, they will let you carry in other countries :p

Bad idea IMO as stated before. Gun laws in most other countries are extremely restrictive.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
thank you. Has anyone taken gun in any foreign country as a civilian?
Certainly.

Here the meaning of 'civilian' is significant. Do you mean 'non-military' or 'not government agent'?

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with sits and guns and the truth. LAB/NRA/GOP KMA$$

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have heard of Americans who have hunted in Africa or Mexico with their own weapons, (rifles) but they have to be cleared in advance by the foreign country and registered on arrival. They can only be used for hunting and can't be carried otherwise. I'm sure bringing a pistol into many foreign countries would be even more difficult, or in the case of Great Britain, probably impossible.

LEO 229

imported post

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml#Firearms

Firearms
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulates and restricts firearms and ammunition; and approves all import transactions involving weapons and ammunition. If you want to import or export weapons or ammunition, you must do so through a licensed importer, dealer, or manufacturer. Also, if the National Firearms Act prohibits certain weapons, ammunition, or similar devices from coming into the country, you will not be able to import them unless the ATF provides you with written authorization to do so.

You do not need an ATF permit if you can demonstrate that you are returning with the same firearms or ammunition that you took out of the United States. To prevent problems when returning, you should register your firearms and related equipment by taking them to any CBP office before you leave the United States. The CBP officer will register them on the same CBP Form-4457 used to register cameras or computers. (See the section on Register Items Before You Leave the United States).

For further information about importing weapons, contact the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, DC 20226; or call (202) 927-8320; or visit www.atf.gov ( Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives ) .

Many countries will not allow you to enter with a firearm even if you are only traveling through the country on the way to your final destination. If you plan to take your firearms or ammunition to another country, you should contact officials at that country’s embassy to learn about its regulations.

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm, so which foreign countries are firearms-carry-friendly?

At the moment, I can only think of Israel, but only for Jews.

Certainly, there are many countries where firearms carry laws aren't very well enforced. See Pakistan. But I'm sure that arrival at an airport will raise a red flag.

expvideo

imported post

swatpro911 wrote:
can you take your gun in another country if you are visiting that country and have US gun permit and you are US citizen?

What's a US gun permit? Do you mean like a page torn out of a pocket-constitution?

Liberty, meet swatpro911. Swatpro911, Liberty.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

US citizens take firearms into Canada everyday, they must get a permit from Canada and pay a permit fee (was $50 per gunI think). You can NOT take a handgun into Canada, even if you are LEO's (at least Michigan State Troppers can't). Maybe there are provisions for official duty, I don't know.

Legba

imported post

Last I checked you could take handguns into Canada if you pre-clear it with the RCMP Firearms Centre (800-731-4000), and subject to certain restrictions (and declare them to Customs at the border crossing, of course). I do know that .25 and .32 caliber handguns are absolutely banned, and permitted hanguns have to have a barrel length of at least 105mm. Check with them for details - it may have changed since I checked last.

-ljp

Venator

imported post

Legba wrote:
Last I checked you could take handguns into Canada if you pre-clear it with the RCMP Firearms Centre (800-731-4000), and subject to certain restrictions (and declare them to Customs at the border crossing, of course). I do know that .25 and .32 caliber handguns are absolutely banned, and permitted hanguns have to have a barrel length of at least 105mm. Check with them for details - it may have changed since I checked last.

-ljp

[align=left]You are correct,below is edited from the Canada Instruction sheet for declaring a firearm. I seem to remember when you could not take a handgun into Canada.[/align]
[align=left]CAFC 909 EFW (2007/01/01) V3 RCMP GRC 5589[/align]

[align=left]INSTRUCTION SHEET[/align]

[align=left]NON-RESIDENT[/align]
[align=left]FIREARM DECLARATION[/align]
[align=left]>>>>>>Deleted parts>>>>>[/align]

[align=left]a)
Indicate the type of firearm.[/align]
[align=left]If you have a combination gun, you must provide the gauge and calibre.[/align]
[align=left]If none of the types mentioned fit, please check Other and specify. An[/align]
[align=left]example is a firearm design that uses a spring, compressed air or gas to[/align]
[align=left]propel projectiles at a speed over 152.4 m/s, (500 ft./sec.) and at a muzzle[/align]
[align=left]energy exceeding 5.7 joules (4.2 foot pounds).[/align]

[align=left]Firearm Definitions[/align]
[align=left]A non-restricted firearm is:[/align]

[align=left]- An ordinary rifle, shotgun or combination gun that is not described below[/align]
[align=left]as being restricted or prohibited.[/align]

[align=left]A restricted firearm is:[/align]

[align=left]- A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.[/align]
[align=left]- A semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than[/align]
[align=left]470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited.[/align]
[align=left]- A rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by[/align]
[align=left]folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26[/align]
[align=left]inches).[/align]
[align=left]- Any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).[/align]

[align=left]A prohibited firearm is:[/align]

[align=left]- A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.[/align]
[align=left]- A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.[/align]
[align=left]- A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26[/align]
[align=left]inches) in overall length.[/align]
[align=left]- A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than[/align]
[align=left]457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26[/align]
[align=left]inches) or more.[/align]
[align=left]- An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.[/align]
[align=left]- Any firearm prescribed as prohibited.[/align]

Venator

imported post

Also found this from the same site. You can only bring a handgun into Canada for target shooting, not for hunting or protection.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada
The Canada Border Services Agency is responsible for controlling items brought into Canada. However, here is some basic information if you wish to bring a firearm or other item regulated by the Firearms Act into Canada.

The Firearms Act is a federal law and applies all across the country. Provinces may have additional requirements, especially with respect to hunting.

You must be at least 18 years old to bring a firearm into Canada. If you are younger than 18, you may use a firearm in certain circumstances, but an adult must remain responsible for the firearm.

If you have been convicted of anything considered a criminal offence in Canada, including driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you will need to get approval of rehabilitation or a temporary immigration permit from Canada’s Minister of Citizenship and Immigration before you can enter Canada. Contact the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for more information.

Classes of Firearms and Devices
There are three classes of firearms in Canada:

• Non-restricted (most common rifles and shotguns): These may generally be imported for purposes such as hunting, protection from wild animals in remote wilderness areas where firearms are allowed, or target-shooting. They may also be taken in transit through Canada by a reasonably direct route.
  • Restricted: These are allowed for certain purposes, such as target shooting at an approved club or range, but they are not allowed for hunting or self-protection.
  • Prohibited: You cannot bring a prohibited firearm into Canada.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

If you mean a concealed weapons permit, no you can't use it in Canada. Canada is another nation, with their own gun laws. Countries are pretty leary about letting non citizens carry weapons (heck, Canada doesn't even like it's OWN citizens to carry guns...)
So, no a US CCP is not legal in Canada. Many are useless outside of the state of issue.

imperialism2024

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
If you mean a concealed weapons permit, no you can't use it in Canada. Canada is another nation, with their own gun laws. Countries are pretty leary about letting non citizens carry weapons (heck, Canada doesn't even like it's OWN citizens to carry guns...)
So, no a US CCP is not legal in Canada. Many are useless outside of the state of issue.
Maybe Hawaii and New York can work on reciprocity agreements with Canada... :lol: