Thread: Encounter at Olive Garden

Post imported post

So the other night I was with the wife at Olive Garden and I walked in carrying as usual. I sat down at the table and there were threeguys sitting across from us. One of them sawme carryingandthen proceeded to make rather stupid and inappropriatecomments about it to his buddies. They were conversing amongst themselves but loud enough that I could hear them. I was getting rather offended but since they were drunk I letting it slide. I didn't say anything but it ruined my dinner as the heckling amongst him and his buddy went through the whole dinner pretty much. I'm pretty sure by just ignoring him I did the right thing, but I've never had a problem before and this was the first time. What would have you all done?

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    What would have you all done?
    Stare. Stare with a stupid smile on my face.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Ignored 'em. Drunks are no fun to be around anyway unless you are one too!

Post imported post

I would have contacted management and asked that they be removed from the restaurant. I've tried the "ignore them" tactic before but my thought is why should I consciously have to try to ignore someone while I'm out spending my hard earned $ with my friend/family.

Or theres always the sneaky...less then amicable....follow them to their car and then report their licencse plate to the local police as a possible drunk driver:what:

Post imported post

I was at the Olive Garden in South Center on Tuesday. Not a lick of trouble. Got some looks, but no issues...well except that the service sucked!

oh, and I like the idea of drucnk driver reporting, but only if the person behind the wheel was actually drunk. anything else would be as petty as they were acting, on top of wasting the time of patrol officers that could be nailing an actual dui.

Post imported post

metricinch wrote:
    I was at the Olive Garden in South Center on Tuesday. Not a lick of trouble. Got some looks, but no issues...well except that the service sucked!

oh, and I like the idea of drucnk driver reporting, but only if the person behind the wheel was actually drunk. anything else would be as petty as they were acting, on top of wasting the time of patrol officers that could be nailing an actual dui.
    DUI = Driving Under the Influence
    DWI = Driving While Intoxicated

The .08 barrier is what determines which one you get charged with. You could blow .02 and still get a DUI if the occifer so decides.

Post imported post

Mainsail wrote:
    G27 wrote:
    Thats Awsome, I will have to do that next time I hear people heckeling my OC. :celebrate

State Researcher

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    So the other night I was with the wife at Olive Garden and I walked in carrying as usual. I sat down at the table and there were threeguys sitting across from us. One of them sawme carryingandthen proceeded to make rather stupid and inappropriatecomments about it to his buddies. They were conversing amongst themselves but loud enough that I could hear them. I was getting rather offended but since they were drunk I letting it slide. I didn't say anything but it ruined my dinner as the heckling amongst him and his buddy went through the whole dinner pretty much. I'm pretty sure by just ignoring him I did the right thing, but I've never had a problem before and this was the first time. What would have you all done?
    Rejoice! You've helped to bring open carry from something that would get you arrested to something that gets you insulted. Soon we will be totally ignored - as it should be.

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
    Mainsail wrote:
    G27 wrote:
    Thats Awsome, I will have to do that next time I hear people heckeling my OC. :celebrate
    Seriously though, I would have asked the manager to move me to a different table. I would also have subtly suggested to the manager that they had had enough to drink.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    I would have asked to be moved to a different table, or I would leave.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    They were conversing amongst themselves but loud enough that I could hear them. I was getting rather offended but since they were drunk I letting it slide. I didn't say anything but it ruined my dinner as the heckling amongst him and his buddy went through the whole dinner pretty much. I'm pretty sure by just ignoring him I did the right thing, but I've never had a problem before and this was the first time. What would have you all done?
    I think you did very well. There isn't just one best way to handle this situation well and you picked one. There are several ways to mishandle the situation and you avoided all of them.

Therefore....success!

Post imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
    metricinch wrote:

The .08 barrier is what determines which one you get charged with. You could blow .02 and still get a DUI if the occifer so decides.
    I don't believe Washington differentiates between DUI and DWI. Nor do many other states.

Post imported post

G27 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure by just ignoring him I did the right thing, but I've never had a problem before and this was the first time. What would have you all done?

Geee I dunno. It's never happened to me. But then I don't carry a Glock. :celebrate

Seriously. Complain about them to the management just as you would anyone who was interfering with your right to a peaceful meal on their premises. Them insulting you for wearing a gun is just as inexcusable as them insulting someone else in your party for what they are wearing.

Unless of course you were wearing a plain brownmagazine pouch with a black basketweave holster. In that case you'd deserve every bit of the ridicule you got.

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    I would have contacted management and asked that they be removed from the restaurant. I've tried the "ignore them" tactic before but my thought is why should I consciously have to try to ignore someone while I'm out spending my hard earned $ with my friend/family.

Or theres always the sneaky...less then amicable....follow them to their car and then report their licencse plate to the local police as a possible drunk driver:what:
    Or call the 911 and have them met at the door as they leave. That way all of them could be charged with Drunk and Disorderly. Who knows, maybe one of them would take a swing at an officer and get the "Chicken Alfredo" beaten out of him.

Nothing better than a night out for dinner and entertainment.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Hey now, bluesbear! I was actually wearing my Sig 229 in his beautiful Serpa holster.

And yes, in retrospect I should have asked to talk to management and next time I will. Thanks for the advice, folks.

Post imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
    Phssthpok wrote:
    metricinch wrote:

I don't believe Washington differentiates between DUI and DWI. Nor do many other states.
    No we don't. But there is a section that allows for arrest and prosecution if the officer can articulate that the alcohol/drug impaired your ability to operate the vehicle.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Just out of curiosity, were you at the Olive Garden in Silverdale?

Post imported post

Yah, it was the Olive Garden in Silverdale. Why?

Post imported post

Just curious. I am always looking for OC stories from the Kitsap side of the water.

Post imported post

I grew up over there. Couldn't wait to leave.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Ah Kitsap isn't that bad! I am looking to having a little gathering over here if anyone is interested.