• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kel Tech PF9.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

Okay, I have shot one of these and have decided that I want one more than a new 1911, as I have to do a lot of CC. My mind is made up that this is going to be my new backup gun. My question is, have any of you purchased/carried one? If so, how'd you like it? What did you pay for it? and are they available used?

shamalama

imported post

vmathis12019, I CC one every day in my front pants pocket.

I think I paid around $300 for it.

I carry it in a K&D pocket holster (http://www.kdholsters.com/pdc.php):

p3at-pd-2n1-bg-s.jpg

I have around 400 rounds through her with no problems.

compmanio365

imported post

I carry a Kel Tec PF-9 every day when I have to CC, and it works pretty darn good. The only bad things are the DAO pull, being a bit too long for my taste, and the lack of aftermarket accessories, so extra magazines and such have to come straight from the manufacturer, and it gets expensive.

Other than that, it is fairly accurate, goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and handles ball ammo and hollowpoints without issue.

compmanio365

imported post

hlh wrote:
shamalama wrote:
vmathis12019, I CC one every day in my front pants pocket.

I think I paid around $300 for it.

I carry it in a K&D pocket holster (http://www.kdholsters.com/pdc.php):

p3at-pd-2n1-bg-s.jpg

I have around 400 rounds through her with no problems.
That looks like a PF11, not a PF9. Or maybe a P3AT?
probably just a stock photo.....I believe it is a P3AT.

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of pants do you normally find yourself in. Most of my jeans fit loose enough, but I am concerned about my slacks pockets being deep enough to conceal this. Have you ever had any trouble concealing it?

compmanio365

imported post

I just carry it IWB in an Uncle Mikes with a sweater or something over it.....if it prints, it's barely at all. It's a single stack for a reason, very slim.....that's why I like it.

I have tried, but since I wear jeans, none of my pockets would conceal this.....even my coat pockets are not quite big enough. IWB works great 99% of the time though.

shamalama

imported post

At work I'm in "business casual" - dress slacks. It looks more like a wallet or Blackberry, if it prints at all.

As I rapidly approach 50 years old I'm discovering that my jeans are shrinking, so some jeans are tighter than others, but I don't have any problem with the grip "peeking" out of the top of the pocket.

Attachments

• pf9printing2.jpg
    pf9printing2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 4,183

vmathis12019

State Researcher
imported post

That's the main thing I am concerned with. I will probably carry it as a primary during the summer IWB, but I would like to use it as a backup when I can in my pants pocket.

compmanio365

imported post

Ah, from what I've read, all the problems people have experienced with the PF-9 were from the first couple of revisions. Mine is one of the newer models only made in the summer this year, so it has all the tweaks and kinks worked out of it, and functions flawlessly. Like anything else, I usually wait 6 months or so before jumping onto a new product to give the manufacturer time to work out the bugs. Any NEW pistol of this model being bought should have the problems heard with it fixed. If not, take advantage of the lifetime warranty and send it to them so they can fix it for you.

Take a look @ Kel Tec Owner's Group forums, as they have a sticky up that lists the revisions and a long detailed history of the PF-9 up till now.

Troubleshooter

imported post

vmathis12019 wrote:
My question is, have any of you purchased/carried one? If so, how'd you like it? What did you pay for it? and are they available used?

I got mine used with 2 extra magazienes for $180.

I like it a lot.

I still need to put a few more rounds through it before I really trust it though.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

I have been thinking of getting one of these for a bug or for when I have to be in deep concealment.

fondled one by buddy has and liked the feel. gonna borrow it next week and take it for a test drive. nice thing about being one of the RO's is I get to go shoot when ever I want. HAHAHAHAHAHA

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I bought myself the PF-9 for Christmas. I have shot over 250 rounds through it without any problems. The trigger has a strong snap back. After a 100 rounds the finger starts to feel it. I would not consider it a plinker.

Not having any safeties is what sold me, in addition to good reviews. I usually carry a S&W 638 38s J frame revolver.Weight loaded is equal.

REDNECK

imported post

I CARRY THIS GUN IN MY BACK, OR IN A HOLSTER ON MY HIP UNDER A BIG SHIRT. GREAT FOR CONCEALMENT. MY AND MY WIFE HAVE FIRED MANY ROUNDS THROUGH THIS WEAPON. PROBABLY CLOSE TO 1000. I CARRY THE PF9 AS MY SELF DEFENSE GUN UNLESS I AM HUNTING, THEN I CARRY MY .357 MAG. THE ONLY THING I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT THE KEL-TEC IS THE LONG TRIGGER PULL. BUT CONSIDERING THIS GUN HAS NO SAFETY, THAT IS THE SAFETY. IT WILL NOT FIRE UNLESS THE TRIGGER IS PULLED.