Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Another Armed Citizen...

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ravenna, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    I cannot express enough how grateful I am to have found this forum. My name is Paul and I am a 30 year old husband, father and homeowner. I just recently purchased my first hand gun and am determined to open carry even after I obtain my CCW. However, just because I am determined to open carry doesn't mean it comes without reservation. I have been racking my brain with laws, incidents and stories pertaining to carrying a firearm. I want to be sure I am gainfully exercising my rights while obeying the law at the same time. I can't tell you how many different answers I get about gun laws from people I assumed were knowledgable. In fact, the salesman at my local gun store told me I was crazy and Ohio is not an open carry state. I tried to assure him I was right but he convinced me otherwise. (after all, he is the gun store guy!) It wasn't until I did some hard research that I found out how much he doesn't know. He laughed at me and said, 'You can't open carry in this state. This isn't Texas!' I just found out that Texas has an open carry ban. Anyway, this is just one example that amplifies my frustration. I am very proud to state that my wife also purchased her first hand gun and plans on taking the CCW class with me. She and I have spent the last 6 months or so discussing this and with recent governmental developments that I won't bore you with we have decided that we had better start exercising our rights before they no longer exist. So, that being said I thank you for all the stories and insight I have already gained and am looking forward to my ongoing education.

    Pauly- Springfield Armory .45 ACP (mine)
    - Bersa .380 (the Mrs')

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    Welcome to OCDO!!
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,732

    Post imported post

    Remember to only believe 1/2 of what you hear and then double check what you believe to be true to make sure it is true.

    As Pres. Reagan said: Trust, but verify.

    I'm glad to see that you are going to get your CC license. Without it can make carrying in a car difficult.

    Some in this group will disagree due to principle. You will see a wide spectrum of opinions and beliefs.

    Don't let the bickering between members get in the way, we are all are on the same side.

    Chase the lie until you catch the truth.



  4. #4
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    color of law wrote:
    I'm glad to see that you are going to get your CC license. Without it can make carrying in a car difficult.

    Some in this group will disagree due to principle. You will see a wide spectrum of opinions and beliefs.

    I agree, getting the CCW is a no-brainer. And there are LOTS of benefits to doing that. But it is true that many OCers decline to get a CCW on oneprinciple or other.

    Usually, not always, the principle(s) are unstated,rather vague, or, um, dubious.

    Good luck to the new guy. Hey, Pauly, how'd you pick a .45 ACP for your first CC gun? Which SA is it?




  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ravenna, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the welcomes. And to Hank, I chose the .45 ACP mostly for value and comfort. I am not new to handguns. I am just new to owning my own and carrying one. I will be OC most of the time and only CC when it is necessary. It is the 4" with 13 round stainless magazines. The bottom picture is of the Bersa my wife bought. She is quite excited about the 'high capacity' 9 round clip I bought for her.




  6. #6
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    Pauly wrote:
    Thanks for the welcomes. And to Hank, I chose the .45 ACP mostly for value and comfort. I am not new to handguns. I am just new to owning my own and carrying one. I will be OC most of the time and only CC when it is necessary. It is the 4" with 13 round stainless magazines. The bottom picture is of the Bersa my wife bought. She is quite excited about the 'high capacity' 9 round clip I bought for her.
    Well, it's kind of an interesting situation you have. To go from no carry to pervasive carry (mostly OC) rather abruptly, including, perhaps, your wife. Will she be OCing and carrying as pervasively as you will be?

    Did some event happenrecently for you to make the big shift inyourpersonal defenseregimen?

    Getting the CCW is a good idea. Especially in Ohio.

    Another good source of information for you might be http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

    The BFA is an excellentgun-rights advocacy group and deserves support.

    Welcome to OCDO.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,436

    Post imported post

    HankT wrote:
    Pauly wrote:
    Thanks for the welcomes. And to Hank, I chose the .45 ACP mostly for value and comfort. I am not new to handguns. I am just new to owning my own and carrying one. I will be OC most of the time and only CC when it is necessary. It is the 4" with 13 round stainless magazines. The bottom picture is of the Bersa my wife bought. She is quite excited about the 'high capacity' 9 round clip I bought for her.
    Well, it's kind of an interesting situation you have. To go from no carry to pervasive carry (mostly OC) rather abruptly, including, perhaps, your wife. Will she be OCing and carrying as pervasively as you will be?

    Did some event happenrecently for you to make the big shift inyourpersonal defenseregimen?

    Getting the CCW is a good idea. Especially in Ohio.

    Another good source of information for you might be http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/

    The BFA is an excellentgun-rights advocacy group and deserves support.

    Welcome to OCDO.
    A BIG +1 from me.



    Tarzan





  8. #8
    State Researcher dng's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    1,290

    Post imported post

    Welcome to OCDO! I found your story about the gun guy's lack of knowledge on Ohio's gun laws to be amusing. I have ran across that same thing several times. But, just like LEO's, they're not lawyers, and it's not their job to interpret the law. I'm glad to hear you'll be OCing. Let us know how it goes for you.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ravenna, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    106

    Post imported post

    here is my concern...



  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,882

    Post imported post

    Well, in my own defense as a "gun guy," I can say that I was commended recently by an ATF agent for my knowledge of the state and federal gun laws. The agent had to look up a section in the US Code to confirm some bit of legal esoterica that I told him. He said it was refreshing that anyone in the business actually bothered to read the phone-book-thick volumes of legal stuff they send to licensees. That said, I'm not a lawyer and don't represent myself as an expert, I'm just commiserating with you that people in the business don't know more about it.

    -ljp

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,732

    Post imported post

    Pauly wrote:
    here is my concern...

    A new guy joins the web site and then screws it by posting some discusting picture.

    Pauley, there are certain things we don't tolerate on this site.

    And you made me repost that picture just so I could scold you over this misdeed.

  12. #12
    State Researcher HankT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Invisible Mode
    Posts
    6,217

    Post imported post

    dngreer wrote:
    ...I found your story about the gun guy's lack of knowledge on Ohio's gun laws to be amusing. I have ran across that same thing several times. But, just like LEO's, they're not lawyers, and it's not their job to interpret the law.
    Yes, indeedy, awareness is a big problem. Not only inOhio but in the rest of the country as well.

    That's why a solution to increase awareness of legal and responsible OC that was proposed by a member here is such a good idea. Take a look at the thread:

    Let's have a national OC day!!!

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6016.html

    Increasing awarness should be one of the key strategic programs in the open carry community. A National OC Day would do that quite nicely.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •