Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fred Thompson Primary Petition

Post imported post

I am considering circulating a petition for the Fred Thompson Campaign in order to get him on Virginia's Primary Ballot for February. Thought I would check here to see what the interest was in signing such petition before I committed to the Thompson Campaign to do so.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I'd sign, depending on how it's worded.

The one I saw at the gun show last weekend said something like "I affirm I fully intend to vote in this party's primary." or some such.

I have some heartburn with the wording, but I'm trying to work through it.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Let us know when you got a rough up submission - probably will sign as Fred Speaks to many of my concerns.
    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I'd sign a petition for Fred.

Post imported post

Thompson's a good candidate.

I posted an article about Thompson's 2A views and he seemed pretty right on.

It was noteworthy, that Doug Huffman, a notorius rejectionist, posted 3 times in this thread--and did not say one bad thing about Fred! A virtual endorsement of Thompson, if you ask me.

Fred Thompson on Supreme Court decision to hear D.C. Gun Ban case

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6229.html

Here's another useful link:

http://www.fred08.com

Post imported post

Tess wrote:
    I'd sign, depending on how it's worded.

The one I saw at the gun show last weekend said something like "I affirm I fully intend to vote in this party's primary." or some such.

I have some heartburn with the wording, but I'm trying to work through it.
    I would sign a petition to get him on the ballot, I would not sign a statement that said I was going to vote for him!

Post imported post

I have a copy of the petition in my hands. It is the same petition that has been circulating for Mitt Romney. I presume that it would be the same petition being circulated by all of the candidates because it is the same form. The phrasing that everyone seems to be concerned with is this:

We further attest that we intend to participate in the primary of the same political party as the above-named candidate
    The petition goes on to explain:

Your signature on this petition must be your own, indicates your intent to participate in the primary of the same political party as the above-named candidate but does not signify an intent to vote for the candidate. You may sign petitions for more than one candidate
    So, you are not committing to vote for any particular candidate. Only that you "intend" to vote in the primary for that candidate's party.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to research Virginia's election law, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the wording is due to Virginia's laws. If someone else has the time to look this up, it would be appreciated.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    Thompson's a good candidate.

I posted an article about Thompson's 2A views and he seemed pretty right on.

It was noteworthy, that Doug Huffman, a notorius rejectionist, posted 3 times in this thread--and did not say one bad thing about Fred! A virtual endorsement of Thompson, if you ask me.

Fred Thompson on Supreme Court decision to hear D.C. Gun Ban case

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6229.html

Here's another useful link:

http://www.fred08.com

This is true.

I do not live in Virginia, but would sign a petition if I could.

Tarzan

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    A virtual endorsement of Thompson, if you ask me.
    In general and in this specific case words following 'virtual' are a lie. Heel, Henretta.

Post imported post

I'd sign for Fred.

Post imported post

I'd sign it.

Post imported post

I will sign it

DC

Post imported post

I'd sign it. I signed one for Mitt last weekend.

Post imported post

When you sign a petition to get a person on the ballot all it means is that you want to give him a chance to run. It even says on it "you can sign a petition for more then one candidate. I'm circulating one for Ron Paul in the Norfolk VA area if anyone would like to sign it.

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    From the GOA website

When Romney ran for Senate in 1994, he told the Boston Herald that he supported the Brady gun-control law and a ban on scores of semi-automatic firearms. Both laws were heavily supported by Democrats and -- according to President Bill Clinton -- were the reason that his party lost control of the Congress in 1994.

Post imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    When you sign a petition to get a person on the ballot all it means is that you want to give him a chance to run. It even says on it "you can sign a petition for more then one candidate. I'm circulating one for Ron Paul in the Norfolk VA area if anyone would like to sign it.
    If you can find out who is circulating the petition for any of the Northern VA counties, let me know so I may sign that petition as well.

Post imported post

BTW, For anyone in Northern VA, I have the Fred Thompson petition. If you're interested in signing it, PM me so we may coordinate the effort.

Heck, we could even make an OCDO dinner out of it, if we really feel the need or just want to get together and socialize a bit as well.

Post imported post

In VA you do not select a party when you register to vote. However, when you vote in a primary, you have to choose one party ballot or the other and make your selections accordingly.

http://www.equalityvirginia.org/site...G&b=704983

http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/cms/

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    I signed one for Mitt last weekend.

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    Mitt Romney is a MORmON!!!

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    Duct Tape Alert!!!

Romney's religious beliefs don't bother me one bit. It's the fact that he's a liar without any guiding principles. It's also the fact that every time he speaks, he sounds like he's repeating words written for him by someone else. It's the fact that every time he repeats those soundbites written for him by his consultants, they contradict what he said just a year or 2 years before. He seriously sickens me. Every time I hear that robotic voice and see that slick hair I want to f***ing throw up.

He also scares me because I have NO IDEA how he would govern as president. His record and rhetoric are so inconsistent that there's no telling what he'd do.

One thing is clear about Romney: HE IS NOT FRIENDLY TOWARDS THE SECOND AMENDMENT

see this videoas he's caught off guard and shows his true colors, misstating actual gun laws (saying automatic weapons aren't available to the public) and stating thathe's for gun control.

Now this is what pisses me off!!In 2002Mitt said he supports MA gun control laws andpromised "I support them. I won't chip away at them" saying they make people safe :shock: (I repeat, he said he SUPPPORTED MASSACHUSSETTS GUN CONTROL LAWS AND SAID THEY MADE PEOPLE SAFER). Now he says to the NRA that he "expanded the rights of gun owners" while governor.................

WHICH IS IT, YOULYING^&$#@*^& !!!???You're either lying to us, you lied to them or you're lying to both of us. And if you lied to the libs in your state to get elected, why should we trust you now?

And don't forget that he's a "lifelong hunter"...except he's never actually been hunting but once in his entire adult life (and once asa teenager). Oh, and then there's how he constantly attacked the NRA while he was governor of MA and now carries his "lifetime NRA member" card everywhere he goes. It's IMPOSSIBLE to know where he ACTUALLY stands. That's why he's so scary.

In the second GOP debate, Romney went out of his way to say, "I support the 2nd Amendment, but I also support an Assault Weapons Ban."

He's done the same flip-flopping, double-talking and LYING when it comes to abortion, immigration, tax-raising and gay marriage.

There is no way in HELL I would ever vote for Mitt Romney. Ever. If the Angel Gabriel came to me and told me I would cast the deciding vote of the 2008 election and it was between Hillary and Romney, I would still write in Mickey Mouse before pulling the lever for that ....ahem...I don't want to call him a man...or a person..... Of all the candidates, Romney is the only one I hate because he's such a transparent liar. It appears he's going to get away with it too.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

+1

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    Come on HankT, how un-lady like of you to revert to such ethnic/religious slurs.

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    As I've said before, why on Earth would a gun owner want to make sure a gun grabber get's on the ballot. People like that deserve a gun grabber for POTUS.

Post imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
    ama-gi wrote:
    rebfan wrote:
    As I've said before, why on Earth would a gun owner want to make sure a gun grabber get's on the ballot. People like that deserve a gun grabber for POTUS.

But he has an 'R' next to his name and repeats "I support the 2nd Amendment" alot. :quirky

Republicans goooood, Democrats baaaad.

4 legs gooooood, 2 legs baaaad

--EDIT--

Just re-read the topic of this post.

Sooooo...I'd sign a petition for Thompson, but I rarely go toVCDL events and such...we'll see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast