• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fred Thompson Primary Petition

vrwmiller

imported post

I am considering circulating a petition for the Fred Thompson Campaign in order to get him on Virginia's Primary Ballot for February. Thought I would check here to see what the interest was in signing such petition before I committed to the Thompson Campaign to do so.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd sign, depending on how it's worded.

The one I saw at the gun show last weekend said something like "I affirm I fully intend to vote in this party's primary." or some such.

I have some heartburn with the wording, but I'm trying to work through it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Let us know when you got a rough up submission - probably will sign as Fred Speaks to many of my concerns.
Yata hey

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Thompson's a good candidate.

I posted an article about Thompson's 2A views and he seemed pretty right on.

It was noteworthy, that Doug Huffman, a notorius rejectionist, posted 3 times in this thread--and did not say one bad thing about Fred! A virtual endorsement of Thompson, if you ask me. ;)

Fred Thompson on Supreme Court decision to hear D.C. Gun Ban case

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6229.html

Here's another useful link:

http://www.fred08.com

TEX1N

imported post

Tess wrote:
I'd sign, depending on how it's worded.

The one I saw at the gun show last weekend said something like "I affirm I fully intend to vote in this party's primary." or some such.

I have some heartburn with the wording, but I'm trying to work through it.
I would sign a petition to get him on the ballot, I would not sign a statement that said I was going to vote for him!

vrwmiller

imported post

I have a copy of the petition in my hands. It is the same petition that has been circulating for Mitt Romney. I presume that it would be the same petition being circulated by all of the candidates because it is the same form. The phrasing that everyone seems to be concerned with is this:

We further attest that we intend to participate in the primary of the same political party as the above-named candidate
The petition goes on to explain:

Your signature on this petition must be your own, indicates your intent to participate in the primary of the same political party as the above-named candidate but does not signify an intent to vote for the candidate. You may sign petitions for more than one candidate
So, you are not committing to vote for any particular candidate. Only that you "intend" to vote in the primary for that candidate's party.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to research Virginia's election law, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the wording is due to Virginia's laws. If someone else has the time to look this up, it would be appreciated.

tarzan1888

imported post

HankT wrote:
Thompson's a good candidate.

I posted an article about Thompson's 2A views and he seemed pretty right on.

It was noteworthy, that Doug Huffman, a notorius rejectionist, posted 3 times in this thread--and did not say one bad thing about Fred! A virtual endorsement of Thompson, if you ask me. ;)

Fred Thompson on Supreme Court decision to hear D.C. Gun Ban case

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum4/6229.html

Here's another useful link:

http://www.fred08.com

This is true.

I do not live in Virginia, but would sign a petition if I could.

Tarzan

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

When you sign a petition to get a person on the ballot all it means is that you want to give him a chance to run. It even says on it "you can sign a petition for more then one candidate. I'm circulating one for Ron Paul in the Norfolk VA area if anyone would like to sign it.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

rebfan wrote:
I'd sign it. I signed one for Mitt last weekend.
From the GOA website

When Romney ran for Senate in 1994, he told the Boston Herald that he supported the Brady gun-control law and a ban on scores of semi-automatic firearms. Both laws were heavily supported by Democrats and -- according to President Bill Clinton -- were the reason that his party lost control of the Congress in 1994.

vrwmiller

imported post

GLENGLOCKER wrote:
When you sign a petition to get a person on the ballot all it means is that you want to give him a chance to run. It even says on it "you can sign a petition for more then one candidate. I'm circulating one for Ron Paul in the Norfolk VA area if anyone would like to sign it.
If you can find out who is circulating the petition for any of the Northern VA counties, let me know so I may sign that petition as well.

vrwmiller

imported post

BTW, For anyone in Northern VA, I have the Fred Thompson petition. If you're interested in signing it, PM me so we may coordinate the effort.

Heck, we could even make an OCDO dinner out of it, if we really feel the need or just want to get together and socialize a bit as well.

sjhipple

imported post

rebfan wrote:
I signed one for Mitt last weekend.
beingsick.gif