• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Misinformation from a LEO

Joe Sixpack

imported post

Legba wrote:
luvmy40 wrote:
I hope this is considered to be on topic.

One reason many people don't know the legality of open carry is that, at least in Ohio, it is very confusing.

Ohio is an "Open Carry State" IE ther is no state legislation against open carry. However, every munincipality has the right to ban firearms (maybe not the best choice of words, but you get my drift). The latest version of our CCW legislation preempts this for licensed CCWers. This doesn't seem to phase the Mayor of Cleveland or some others who still try to ban guns in "Their" city. To make things worse, if you carefully decipher the legislation on carry in a vehicle, it is almost imposible for anyone not bearing a ccw license to transport an loaded or UNLOADEDhandgun in their car. It is legal to carry a loadedhandgun "in a holster concealed on your person" or in a locked container or a container with a latchingdevice in plain sight(blah-blah-blah)if you are ccw holder.

I get dizzy trying wade through the garbage and legalese to ensure that I am not inadvertantly commiting a crime. Needless to say,I dont OC often. I'm not against it in way. I just don't want to have to spend any time or money in court defending my self over some perceived crime. I do CC every where that I am legaly alowed to. I chaffe at the fact that I cannot carry in the most dangerous places in my state, highway reststop buildings!

Well enough af my spouting.

Ohio municipalities can ban discharging of firearms in city limits and not much else. The preemption thing doesn't just apply to license holders, as I understand it.

-ljp
thats the way i understand it also.

the preemption law supersedes any previous city ordnances, there for firearm laws are state wide.. all previous ordnances are retroactively nullified.

i know Cleavland and Cincinnati was 2 major cities crying like babies about home rule.

im quite impressed that this passed.. bob taft was pretty hated at this point but it was a historic mark because very rarely does the governors veto get over ridden.