Thread: OT: New Toy

State Researcher

Post imported post

A 1917 SMLE MkIII* Enfield with matching numbers, no import marks, about 90% condition, very nice full stock, all military condition, no magazine, and here is the great part.... $50!!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Neighbor of mine at the marina was rather broke, and we went from agreeing to trade a pistol grip shotgun to this deal.

Dang I'm pleased! Does anyone local have a SMLE mag or bayonet? Othewise will order them from Numrich.

There goes my Lee loading kit money.... oh well!

Oh, I did OC it down the dock, so I guess it's on topic.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Pics please.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher

Post imported post

No camera sorry. I'm having a hard time figuring out what this dang thing is worth though. I see 'em anywhere from $150 to $550. Any thoughts? I may be a bit off on the 90% grade, I need to look at it again in a good light (I'm not near it right now) but it is SWEET. And I see SOG has the 17" blade bayonets for $35 handpicked.... I have a sling, not sure if it has the buttstock cleaning kit. Need mag, bayo, stripper clips. May see about ordering a MkIII rear sight with windage adjustments. The MkIII* has a few features that the MkIII's don't have. Manufacture was simplified for wartime production I think in 1914.

I'm thrilled though, to say the least.

edit, removed silly statement that made no sense to anyone who knows anything about the SMLE MkIII's (which I don't)

Post imported post

The SMLE MKIII* is a later model that incorporates production shortcuts, no magazine cutoff, long range volley sights, or back sight windage adjustment. Made by Enfield, BSA, LSA, SSA, Lithgow and Ishapore, introduced in 1915. 90% condition $300.00

(Blue book of gun values 27th edition, pg 643)

Post imported post

Post imported post

Post imported post

holy triple post batman.

Nice snag sv_libertarian.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

State Researcher

Post imported post

Thanks for the price quote Trigger Dr. It just dawned on me this old rifle is 90 years old! And in such great and useable shape! It's amazing when you hold a piece of history like this that went through both world wars.

Post imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
    The SMLE MKIII* is a later model that incorporates production shortcuts, no magazine cutoff, long range volley sights, or back sight windage adjustment. Made by Enfield, BSA, LSA, SSA, Lithgow and Ishapore, introduced in 1915. 90% condition $300.00

(Blue book of gun values 27th edition, pg 643)
    Great, informative post, Doc!

I did PM the OP, telling him similar stuff about my own 1917 BSA SMLE No1Mk111*.

My own cost $85 from a pawnshop 2 years ago, and, I believe, sat in an armoury somewhere, because the woodwork and bore are unblemished! I could NEVER part with such a treasure, made 30 miles from where I grew up in England! Amazing to me how popular these old Lee-Enfields are here in the States! Back home , we used to sporterise the old No4 Mk1Second WWrifles, and transformed them into a poor boy's deer rifle. Very effective, too!

TrueBrit.