• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: New Toy

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

A 1917 SMLE MkIII* Enfield with matching numbers, no import marks, about 90% condition, very nice full stock, all military condition, no magazine, and here is the great part.... $50!!!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Neighbor of mine at the marina was rather broke, and we went from agreeing to trade a pistol grip shotgun to this deal.

Dang I'm pleased! Does anyone local have a SMLE mag or bayonet? Othewise will order them from Numrich.

There goes my Lee loading kit money.... oh well!

Oh, I did OC it down the dock, so I guess it's on topic.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

No camera:cry: sorry. I'm having a hard time figuring out what this dang thing is worth though. I see 'em anywhere from $150 to $550. Any thoughts? I may be a bit off on the 90% grade, I need to look at it again in a good light (I'm not near it right now) but it is SWEET. And I see SOG has the 17" blade bayonets for $35 handpicked.... I have a sling, not sure if it has the buttstock cleaning kit. Need mag, bayo, stripper clips. May see about ordering a MkIII rear sight with windage adjustments. The MkIII* has a few features that the MkIII's don't have. Manufacture was simplified for wartime production I think in 1914.

I'm thrilled though, to say the least.

edit, removed silly statement that made no sense to anyone who knows anything about the SMLE MkIII's (which I don't)

Trigger Dr

imported post

The SMLE MKIII* is a later model that incorporates production shortcuts, no magazine cutoff, long range volley sights, or back sight windage adjustment. Made by Enfield, BSA, LSA, SSA, Lithgow and Ishapore, introduced in 1915. 90% condition $300.00

(Blue book of gun values 27th edition, pg 643)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Thanks for the price quote Trigger Dr. It just dawned on me this old rifle is 90 years old! And in such great and useable shape! It's amazing when you hold a piece of history like this that went through both world wars.

TrueBrit

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
The SMLE MKIII* is a later model that incorporates production shortcuts, no magazine cutoff, long range volley sights, or back sight windage adjustment. Made by Enfield, BSA, LSA, SSA, Lithgow and Ishapore, introduced in 1915. 90% condition $300.00

(Blue book of gun values 27th edition, pg 643)

Great, informative post, Doc!

I did PM the OP, telling him similar stuff about my own 1917 BSA SMLE No1Mk111*.

My own cost $85 from a pawnshop 2 years ago, and, I believe, sat in an armoury somewhere, because the woodwork and bore are unblemished! I could NEVER part with such a treasure, made 30 miles from where I grew up in England! Amazing to me how popular these old Lee-Enfields are here in the States! Back home , we used to sporterise the old No4 Mk1Second WWrifles, and transformed them into a poor boy's deer rifle. Very effective, too!

TrueBrit.