• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would like to say hi and thanks to everyone on this forum. I am 60 and grandma is 93 which means in a pinch running away is not an option. I would have to make a stand of some sort. I have a concealed carry permit and for the past couple of years have been carrying my FS84 well hidden on my person. Not always but often. I have been extremely concerned that it might be visible in outline or in part and the problems that would cause. To the extent I was considering the purchase of a small KalTek or such that could be morecompletely hidden. Gang activity in some Tacoma parks and other places makes those of us who are older aneasy target. And lets face it I am not nearly as tough as I used to be. And I was never astough asI once thought.

Then I stumbled on this forum. The posters here are amazing. BlueBear, Agent47, gregma and many others. You handle adversity with clarity and poise. You are familiar with the law and yet respectful to those who approach you. As I read the posts I have come to the conclusion that I to have a responsibility to OC as often as reasonable. You are clearly defending a right I hold dear.If it is not exercised it can and will be lost. I am sorry to say that fear of breaking the law and all of the repercussions that follow are among the reasons I have not done so in the past. Largely that was due to ignorance of the actual law. I fell into the flow of what everyone said rather than doing my homework and getting the facts strait. There is still apprehension on my part but what I am reading here is very empowering. I will take my time. I will learn the RCWs and I will CC and OC.

With all of that said I hope I am welcome to continue to read postson this forum and that I may occasionally ask questions or provide comments.

Respectfully

irfner

Trigger Dr

imported post

We on this forum are privileged to have some: well educated posters, a few law students, I believe an attorney or two, a few retired LEO, a couple active LEO, an occasional wannabe lawyer, and the always present naysayer.

Most are well informed and those that are not, are welcome here for no other purpose than to keep us vigilant.

Welcome aboard.

Jim

gregma

imported post

irfner wrote:
I would like to say hi and thanks to everyone on this forum.
Welcome to the forum! Glad you made it. You'll meet lots of nice people here, and hopefully at one of our regular get togethers.

There is still apprehension on my part but what I am reading here is very empowering.
Even I am still apprehensive at times. My pulse still raises when I see a LEO approaching. This actually isn't a bad thing. You should always be alert, and ready to respond to the good as well as the bad. Unfortunately we still have a ways to go before Opencarrying is an uneventful occurance. In fact it may never be. Just keep on your toes, and remember that that *you* aren't doing anything wrong regardless of what someone else may think.
I think you'll find that 90% of the people you pass won't even know you are around. 2% will think it's great. 3% will think you must be stopped. And 5% will be genuinely curious. Not too bad of odds :)

metricinch

imported post

welcome to the rest of your life! once you oc it all changes...well it did for me anyway!

I have one question though...what pray tell is an FS84? I am pretty familiar with all sorts of weapons, but have to admit I do not know what this is. Please educate me!

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well I got it a little backwards. It is a Beretta 84fs Cheetah. It is a 13 round semi-auto in 380 ACP. Even though it is not the most powerful I like it because it shoots where I point it. My eyes aren't easy to focus on the sights so an accurate point and shoot is very important to me.

Live in SeaTac, work in Tacoma

irfner

BluesBear

imported post

irfner wrote:
And lets face it I am not nearly as tough as I used to be.
Welcome ABoard™ Irfner!

Thank you for your kind words. Since I broke my spine I lost a whole lot of my "toughness" too_Once you pass 50 the body just doesn't recover as well as it used to. But with a clear mind and thje proper tools we are still equal to the "tough guys".

Your Beretta is a pretty good choice. It's a well made reliable handgun. You should be proud to carry it. Never again be ashamed to carry either openly or concealed. Remember that the State sold you a "Concealed Pistol License" not a Hidden Pistol License. And don't worry about someone seeing the "outline". As you begin to open carry more and more you'll also begin to see than most people don't even notice then. We'll have to get together someday and go walkabout acting normal.

It seems you've discovered the secret to choosing a carry gun. You chose what works right for YOU. It seems that the .380 has fallen out of favor lately. But it's been successfully used for self defense for close to a century now and today's ammo selection is the best ever.

Glad to have you join us here at OCDO. How did you hear about us?

expvideo

imported post

Welcome! It's great to have you. Hopefully you can make it to one of our lunches and put some faces to names. There are some great people on these forums, and you never know, you might even recognize someone!

just_a_car

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Welcome! It's great to have you. Hopefully you can make it to one of our lunches and put some faces to names. There are some great people on these forums, and you never know, you might even recognize someone!
Yup! Aaron (expvideo) and I met while he was working and had casually known each other for a while before meeting up here. MightyBigJosh and I went to high school together and were friends.... speaking of whom, I haven't heard from him. I'll have to send him a message.

BluesBear

imported post

joeroket wrote:
BluesBear wrote:
irfner wrote:
And lets face it I am not nearly as tough as I used to be.
Welcome ABoard™ Irfner!

Once you pass 50 the body just doesn't recover as well as it used to.
Thanks for giving me something to look forward to BluesBear.:shock:

Just avoid falling from tall buildings and you'll have nothing to worry about. ;)White men don't bounce.