• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange Encounter

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Slowhand wrote:
Most people have a sense "personal space". This woman stood next to me as if I were her husband and no one else was near us. She was staring past my face as if she was looking at someone right next to me, but she would never make eye contact with me. Like I said before, you really needed to be there to get a feel for the situation. But I am convinced she was agitated by my firearm and was doing "something" to make herself feel empowered, or something.

Why didn't you simply tell her something like, "Ma'am, you're standing a bit too close to me. You're intruding in my personal space, hon."

That probably would have worked...

How did you finally disengage from her, anyway?

Shovelhead

imported post

Something else to think about...........

Did you notice anything else going on around you during this encounter, or were you "Target fixated"?

Not relevent in this case,......But what if she was a decoy, and her only job was to get and hold your attention?

Slowhand

imported post

HankT wrote:
Slowhand wrote:
Most people have a sense "personal space". This woman stood next to me as if I were her husband and no one else was near us. She was staring past my face as if she was looking at someone right next to me, but she would never make eye contact with me. Like I said before, you really needed to be there to get a feel for the situation. But I am convinced she was agitated by my firearm and was doing "something" to make herself feel empowered, or something.

Why didn't you simply tell her something like, "Ma'am, you're standing a bit too close to me. You're intruding in my personal space, hon."

That probably would have worked...

How did you finally disengage from her, anyway?

Good point. Looking back, I think I should have said something like, "Excuse me Mame, I hope my firearm isn't alarming you." Or, perhaps even your response. At least then Imight havediscoveredwhat her motivation was.

After smiling at her for a minute without response, I just turned looking forward again and waited my turn at the register. Eventually she went back to her shopping cart (still on the phone). I just ignored her for the duration of my time in line.

Slowhand

imported post

Shovelhead wrote:
Something else to think about...........

Did you notice anything else going on around you during this encounter, or were you "Target fixated"?

Not relevent in this case,......But what if she was a decoy, and her only job was to get and hold your attention?
I was being very observant. I even looked up at the one way glass in front of the store where the managers can observe the registers (thinking maybe she was looking there). But no, she was not staring at anything in particular that I could see. And there didn't seem to be anyone else around us that seemed concerned with the situation. I have pretty good peripheral vision, and I notice most of what is going on all around me. The only time I might have been "fixated" is when I was smiling at her for a minute.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Who knows, there are some very "interesting" people in the world today.A fewof them even have managed to find their way here to OCDO. Either way, too bad for the anti-gun crowd, you didn't pull your gun and start shooting people. By some of their "logic" that's what you, the "crazy" gun owner, should have "logically" done.

possumboy

imported post

Is this the one in Tackett's Mill Shopping Center? I used to OC just aboutevery nights of the week. Never had any issues like you described.

XD40coyote

imported post

She was just jealous of you owning a firearm, as she likely is disbarred by her long history of obvious mental illness, of which she was ordered by a judge toget treatmentafter refusing voluntary treatment on her own, having made a public scene somewhere,at which she resisted arrest, and the arresting officers seeing what a nut she is and that she assaulted them, had her go before a judge who made her go to a hospital for treatment. Her personality disorder and sociopathy make her incapable of being anything but a rude old bitch.

Sound about right? LOL

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mayday wrote:
SNIP Sounds like a typical passive-agressive anti. There are MANY of them out there.
I don't mean to find fault with your statistic supplier; but that seems a bit heavy on quantity for my experience.

I've been to an anti meeting in NoVA. Something like thirteen anti-'s turned up. OCDO packed about twenty into a local StarBucks prior to the last VCDL meeting.

Anti-s were able to muster about thirty people fora so-called die-in recently. VCDL routinely turns out more.

At a gun-controller's press-conference at the General Assembly last year, the pro-gun people well outnumbered the anti-s. Until they brought in a bunch of kids for the cameras. Kids who, according to one, were offered extra-credit for school.

The anti-s had no speakers at the Ffx Co. public hearing where comment was received about legislative initiative. Pro-gun guys turned out, I think, four. Perhaps two of whom spoke.

Slowhand

imported post

possumboy wrote:
Is this the one in Tackett's Mill Shopping Center? I used to OC just aboutevery nights of the week. Never had any issues like you described.
No, actually I live closer to Tackett's Mill, but I happened to be at the other one (Safeway)farther down Old Bridge Road near PW Parkway. They stopped carrying the beer that I like at the Tackett's Mill store so I have drive a little father.